Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Thought-Provoking Questions. Watch

ReputationRep:
    1. If you could do it all over again, would you change anything?

2. What is the difference between living and existing?

3. What would you regret not fully doing, being or having in your life?

This should be interesting...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weevle)
    If I did it all over again, could I change anything?

Rocks exist, but they do not live.

I regret that it took so long to get to where I am, but at the same time I am glad that I got here at all.

ReputationRep:
    Do what?
    Things that live have biological processes. Things that exist have objective reality. Living is sufficient but not necessary for existence, existence is necessary but not sufficient for living.
    Not much.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    I think by "it" you mean life, and yes, I'd change a few things, but who's to say I wouldn't be back where I am now, just with a time delay? Many life decisions we make derive from whims, desires and idiosyncrasies inherent in our personality.

Say, you're a shy guy, and you changed things so that you never grew to be shy as a kid? You might talk to the girls you fancy, but you'll do something else that reflects who you are, your identity (e.g. reserve/reticence >> averse to commit to a relationship), then you'll be back to where you are now, instead probably a few years down the line. For some, those few years would mean the world, and getting back to square one is a reasonable price to pay. I'm not sure my presumptuous example worked, but there are two broad camps of answer to this question: change everything and lose yourself (not completely, but it'll take time to find you again); and change nothing but keep your identity and personality intact, warts an' all.

But why change anything just because you can? Does the capacity to "edit" parts in your 'book of life' warrant a credible reason for doing so? Obvious, I know, but something about the process (i.e. change itself) should impel you to take that risk, and it's not the same for us all. Some folk hate the idea of a fresh start, or something different, they'd rather go on as they are, and they'll force others follow suit (it's often called "encouraging others to take responsibility"). Whether their hate is ideological, personal, religious or expedient is another question

Moving aside from semantics, life can be considered an attribute of an object, but it's hard to imagine existence being considered as a property of an object. Something either exists or doesn't, so existence is a state, not a predicate of an object, as existence doesn't say anything about the object. Life is the opposite. Even nonexistent objects like cremated human bodies (nonexistent in the natural world, I should say) can be said to have had life.

I would regret not taking seriously the things which I didn't, and more so I would regret not taking as many chances/risks as I did. I would want to have more material and social things but I don't really regret not having them ("we are the master of our own destiny" and all the rest of it").

ReputationRep:
    Assuming I had full knowledge of my life as it is now, I doubt I would change much.

But if I did not have full knowledge, as miser said: Could I change anything?

The answer would be no.

On a personal level, when referring to 'you'. You are both alive and you exist, however should your stream of self-awareness be disrupted, you would cease to exist, although your body would still be alive and develop a new self-awareness independent from you. Similarly, should your body be replaced slowly piece by piece to a point it is a machine, you cease to be alive but you would still exist.

Of course, thats something of a wish-washy in answer. Strictly speaking, living is a property of some things which exist.

Nothing. I don't feel regret.

ReputationRep:
    1) I would change a few unpleasant events so they never happened, and I would have treated a few people differently if I knew what I know now. Recently, I would of made sure I did the right things when it came to a particular lady.

2) Living is to fulfill your dreams and leave a good mark on others' lives. Existing is merely existing for the sake of it - you aren't really happy, but you trudge on, going through the motions.

3) I regret not "going the distance" when it came to relationships. I also regret not taking my own wellbeing seriously enough.. this had a domino effect on other aspects of my life- including said relationships. Looking back, I seemed to have a subconscious commitment, or intimacy, phobia. I hope this is now gone considering how important this aspect is to the human experience.

ReputationRep:
    What is the distance between living and existing?

Living is when you live for those thrills of meeting your first love or that bliss when you get a moments peace or that excitement of seeing a long lost friend or that fun of your first holiday with your friends without the parents!

Existing is empty. You have no real purpose, no real strive. You just float from one place to another. Never sad nor happy, almost like your hollow.

I know which one i would pick but there are some people in this world who would have to think twice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.