Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I really can't do this. Can anyone give me some tips or advice?

thanks
    Simon

ReputationRep:
    What about them are you having difficulty with? It'd be easier to help knowing which exact bit you're having issues with.

ReputationRep:
    Go to an open safe area and drive backwards and keep driving backwards until is becomes second nature

Then try doing simple things like reversing through two empty wheelie bins or cones

The problem is that you are not comfortable when going backwards so that needs to be addressed first

ReputationRep:
    For paralel parking i got taught points to turn the wheel on ure rear passenger side window. My driving instructor had stickers on it and when they lined up with certain points i new to full lock or straighten out etc. Another tip for reversing round corners was adjust passenger mirror dkwn to the floor helped keep track on distance from curb. After that practice till it becomes second nature

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonthegreat)
    Hi,

I really can't do this. Can anyone give me some tips or advice?

thanks
    Simon
    I was taught focus points which were specifically for the car I was learning to drive in, these points essentially told me when to go in.

Like reverse parking, line up 2/3 of the way of the passenger window with the parking line which is one park space away from where I want to get in, and just a full turn and reverse back.
    With the parallel parking same as above, line up a point on the rear window with the end of the car in front of the parking space, I think it was 1/3 or 2/3 of a turn to get in and then straighten up until you see the curb getting close then full turn the other way and go in.

ReputationRep:
    The easiest way is to have a system, ask your instructor if they haven't taught you one, because they should.

As other posters have said, you also need to be comfortable with going backwards in general, and with your clutch control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haribo87)
    For paralel parking i got taught points to turn the wheel on ure rear passenger side window. My driving instructor had stickers on it and when they lined up with certain points i new to full lock or straighten out etc. Another tip for reversing round corners was adjust passenger mirror dkwn to the floor helped keep track on distance from curb. After that practice till it becomes second nature

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi,

Where do the stickers go? I think this might help me and sounds easier to do?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    What about them are you having difficulty with? It'd be easier to help knowing which exact bit you're having issues with.

Hi,

My judgement is totally wrong and I can't work out which way to turn the steering and when. The car is totally out of alignment and I start to panic and sweat profusely. I need some kind of proper system or guidance as to when to do what . Any help appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Close your eyes and 'be the car'.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My judgement is totally wrong and I can't work out which way to turn the steering and when. The car is totally out of alignment and I start to panic and sweat profusely. I need some kind of proper system or guidance as to when to do what . Any help appreciated.
    Well it's not much different to driving forwards. If you turn it to the left (left hand down), then the car will turn towards the left. If you put the right hand down, it turns to the right. The only difference is that you're sort of steering the rear end... But still, if you're getting too close to the curb, you still need to steer right to counteract that!

It has been a while, but this is how I remember being taught to do the parallel park:

Approach the cars you're intended to park with, and mirror/signal and then slow down. I slowed down in such a way to stop in line with the front car for the parallel park. Thus, the fronts of both our cars are in line with each other.

Put into reverse and do another mirror check. Slowly go backwards and then use the rear seat passenger window (on the far side of the car) to gauge where to turn. I believe the rule of thumb was to turn when the rear of the other car lines up with the middle of that window. Then, begin to turn. Do another mirror check. Try doing one or one and a half full rotations of the wheel (but be consistent so you know where the level position is). When side window of your car lines up with the rear-left-side of the other car, turn the wheel back. If you turned it once to the left, now turn it twice to the right (double what you did) to straighten out.

Then, use the side mirrors to work out how far you are from the curb and where the car behind you is. Feel free to correct as necessary. On my parallel park I had to abort and try it again because I wasn't in a good position (the car I was using had markers in the window to work out where to turn, etc, and the examiner was so large he blocked these out).

It's worth checking out Youtube as well. There are a lot of videos showing how to do it, and they probably explain it better than I do.

This video is pretty good for it. A bit shallow, but it's parked

ReputationRep:
    i do them perfect with my instructor in the car then i fall apart during the test lol

ReputationRep:
    Where do the stickers go?
    Plastering stickers all over the car is something done by substandard instructors who lack the skill to teach judgement. While there is no problem with a solitary sticker used temporarily as a training tool to prove a theory of judgement, a good instructor will quickly wean a student off stickers (a bit like weaning children off armbands when learning to swim) so that they may use mental reference points that work in all vehicles.

To answer your question of where does a sticker go.. well, this will differ with each vehicle that you drive. Only your instructor can answer this, and hopefully not with a sticker alone.

ReputationRep:
    First time poster here, hi everyone

This is how I was taught by my instructor, I've always been someone that learns best by using things I can refer to rather than learning by feel, so to have an instructor that has me learning all of these manoeuvres by using reference points has made manoeuvres one of the strongest points of my driving.

To reverse parallel park:

1) Pull up beside the car you'll be parking behind, about an arm's length away from it.

2) Reverse until the rear left-side window is in line with the bumper of the other car.

3) Once you've reached this point, stop and do your checks (left shoulder, interior mirror, right mirror and right shoulder).

4) Start reversing again nice and slowly, turning the steering wheel one full turn (360 degrees) to the left.

5) Keep reversing slowly until the car is at about a 30 degree angle, or facing at 1 o'clock if you were to say you were facing 12 o'clock before you started reversing.

6) Once you reach the 1 o'clock position, straighten the wheel back up and continue backwards.

7) Use your rear window to check behind you, glancing into your left mirror (or much preferably it's mini mirror assuming the car has one) every couple of seconds to check your rear left wheel position. Keep going until you can see the wheel getting close to the curb.

8) Once it's close (not too close - better to come up short than to hit the curb) turn the steering wheel full-lock (all the way) to the right rather briskly.

9) Continue backwards until parallel to the curb, at which time you should briskly straighten the wheel.

In the exam you'll be expected to stop the car at about 1.5 car lengths from the car in front. So you may need to reverse or move forward a little if you're too close or far from the car in front, or adjust a little if you're too far from the curb by slowly reversing with a little left turn to get closer to the curb, followed by a little right turn to straighten back up.
    Also your observations must be bang on point - if there is any traffic passing and you don't stop, no matter where you are in the manoeuvre, the examiner may give you a major fault which will mean failing the test.

As for reverse bay parking, you'll have to ask your instructor to help you out with regards to reference points, as it all depends on your seating position really. My instructor has a little mark drawn on the door at the bottom of the passenger side window, all I do is reverse until this lines up with a line that is 2 lines away from the right edge of the bay I want to park in. Then just full lock the wheel to the left rather briskly and I'm pretty much perfect to get into the bay, no corrections required.
    Also helps to be far away from the bays, if there's a central line down the road which the bays are on then straddling that before sopping to reverse works a charm.

ReputationRep:
    Looking over your left shoulder into the rear passenger door window, reverse back until the rear corner of the target vehicle (the car you're parking behind) appears and then turn one rotation of the wheel left (360º, NOT full lock). Check all around the car, especially over your right shoulder as the front swings out and the back starts to arc towards the kerb. Keep moving slowly until the same back corner of the target vehicle is in the middle of the front passenger window, then turn one rotation to the right (effectively straightening the wheels). Soon after, still looking in the front passenger window, line up the middle of the target vehicle (badge, wiper, boot lock or whatever is there) to the front edge of the front passenger window and turn one full rotation to the right, so swinging the front now towards the kerb as the back arcs towards being parallel with the kerb. If at this point you feel like you might hit the kerb, fully turn to full right lock to try and avoid this. When the car feels straight, turn to the left until the wheel is straight to finish. If you are wide, use a shunt manoeuvre to tidy up (drive forwards slowly turning left/right/left, then reverse back again turning left/right/left).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    This is how I was taught by my instructor,
    That post was quite unnerving to read actually! It was, pretty much, word for word how my instructor taught me to parallel park and reverse bay park!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nice.Guy)
    That post was quite unnerving to read actually! It was, pretty much, word for word how my instructor taught me to parallel park and reverse bay park!!
    Haha, crazy. Absolutely love the methods, think the only mavoeuvre that needs to be done by feel is the sweeping reverse. If you've been taught a good method then every other mavoeuvre is almost the same wherever you do it. Was a very proud moment pulling into the test centre and banging out a reverse bay park with one turn of the steering wheel like it was nothing, seeing all of the other learners reversing into the bays with a left a bit, right a bit, pull back out, straighten up, pull back in approach

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.