Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by AdamC)
    Or "Saaaaaafeeennddd" as it is so spoken! lol
    LOL yes...... or " orses " for horses haha

ReputationRep:
    And it isn't water, it's "wor...ah"... any excuse to avoid pronouncing the "t"!

Ahh i love the Essex Accent really! lol

(Original post by AdamC)
    And it isn't water, it's "wor...ah"... any excuse to avoid pronouncing the "t"!

Ahh i love the Essex Accent really! lol
    hehe yes but that is the far far extreme of the essex accent

ReputationRep:
    the other extreme essex accent is the rural one that loads of people would probably think was suffolk. i don't have it myself but come across it with my mums side of the family. my dad (a native londoner until he was 10) apparently couldnt understand my great grandad most of the time lol!
    i have to say i cannot stand the south essex accent - it makes me cringe so much! thats one of several reasons that i avoid basildon like the plague!

in response to someone earlier - chelmsford's not that bad. you can't expect much more for it's size. its got a few decent bars & shops. i don't live there though, so perhaps i can't judge it properely.

(Original post by amyitfc)
    the other extreme essex accent is the rural one that loads of people would probably think was suffolk. i don't have it myself but come across it with my mums side of the family. my dad (a native londoner until he was 10) apparently couldnt understand my great grandad most of the time lol!
    i have to say i cannot stand the south essex accent - it makes me cringe so much! thats one of several reasons that i avoid basildon like the plague!

in response to someone earlier - chelmsford's not that bad. you can't expect much more for it's size. its got a few decent bars & shops. i don't live there though, so perhaps i can't judge it properely.
    interesting....... the nightlife in colchester is pretty good though, and want to know one of the good things about it? there isn't that much violence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaZZZ)
    interesting....... the nightlife in colchester is pretty good though, and want to know one of the good things about it? there isn't that much violence
    unless the army boys are out for a big night! and you've got hte hippodrome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaZZZ)
    its not, i live in colchester there is lots to do
    and he doesn't lie

Colchester's also a bit different to most of Essex. Not everyone here has that stupid damned Essex accent, it's a bit more ruralish. Not as bad as the Suffolk farmer accent.

(Original post by allisandro)
    unless the army boys are out for a big night! and you've got hte hippodrome
    LOL you've been to the hippodrome? nice nice

(Original post by Spleenus`)
    and he doesn't lie

Colchester's also a bit different to most of Essex. Not everyone here has that stupid damned Essex accent, it's a bit more ruralish. Not as bad as the Suffolk farmer accent.
    Seconded

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa777)
    LOL you've been to the hippodrome? nice nice
    Ive been, to the hippodome and it was proper quality they has DJ Tiesto from Gatecrasher and the legend that is Carl Cox playing straight after - one of my all time great nights...dunno bout the rest of essex tho!!!

(Original post by Cossack)
    Ive been, to the hippodome and it was proper quality they has DJ Tiesto from Gatecrasher and the legend that is Carl Cox playing straight after - one of my all time great nights...dunno bout the rest of essex tho!!!
    DJ Tiesto! i used to run a chat server and this guy i knew mentioned DJ Tiesto! wow!

so what do you think of colchester town centre at night time? lots of good looking women eh?

ReputationRep:
    Colchester is good, but full of 'squadies'! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Heh, I'm moving to Colchester in a couple of weeks. I'm from Essex anyway so I'm used to the dodgy accents..but I'd say Colchester's quite decent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samuel Page)
    Colchester is good, but full of 'squadies'! :mad:
    I think that factor is over emphasised. I currently work up town and you don't exactly see loads of squaddies roaming around Colchester. Most of them lead normal lives when not training or doing whatever.

(Original post by Kay)
    Heh, I'm moving to Colchester in a couple of weeks. I'm from Essex anyway so I'm used to the dodgy accents..but I'd say Colchester's quite decent.
    I agree - it's alot different to what people think the normal Essex accent is like. I hate the Essex accent (especially SOME of the women) which people down in the South of the County have. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by koldtoast)
    Essex is the UK's best kept secret, and I think the only reason its got such bad rep is because everyone else is jealous of the quality of lifestyle in the county
    Suffolk is far lovelier, we are all farmers. It's a nice location, and there's some gorgeous countryside - the majority of East Anglia is like it. Some parts of Essex are gorgeous if not a bit small. Avoid Braintree. Manningtree is v dull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spleenus`)
    I agree - it's alot different to what people think the normal Essex accent is like. I hate the Essex accent (especially SOME of the women) which people down in the South of the County have. :rolleyes:
    Hehe that's where I'm from...but believe me I do try hard not to speak like that! The worst thing is when you see some bleach-blonde in a mini skirt and white stilletos shouting something about 'saaaahhhfffend' and you realise the stereotype is true! =/

ReputationRep:
    In terms of East Anglia Colcheter isn't that bad..

Living in Thetford I can vouch for that, and avoid Haverhill too :rolleyes:

Think nothing of the stereotypes in Essex, it all becomes normal.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 21, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.