Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

confusing matter on procrastination Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm kind of confused right now.
    I need answers because its starting to get really annoying.

I'm a creative guy, and I 3D model, and create music as a hobby, and have been doing for a very long time.

I have one issue though, and that is procrastination.

Now, I'm meant to enjoy 3D modeling... otherwise, why would I do it? I'm good at it yes, and I enjoy the process whilst I'm doing it, and enjoy the outcome,

But at the same time, I've been on the computer all night tonight, and haven't done a SINGLE thing to do with the work. Nothing.
    Yet, whilst I was in my day job, I was thinking constantly "I'm going to get some work done tonight on that... get this done, etc, etc", but when the time comes... I don't, or do very little. My day job has nothing to do with my hobby.

I have the program open, but don't really move on.

Why?

Don't I really enjoy what I'm doing... and doing it because I'm good at it and its something I've just gotten used to doing?
    Or is something else possibly at play?

I've been wondering if I could ever have a 3D modeling job, as I would feel this would constantly happen.

Its just something thats confused me. Surely if I enjoyed doing something... I wouldn't be avoiding doing it?

My work is so slow as a result. This model for example I'm doing now should have only took a couple months or less, and its took me more than a year so far of on/off work, but I'm already planning my next project, so I must have some enthusiasm for it. I just don't understand. I really do not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    I'm kind of confused right now.
    I need answers because its starting to get really annoying.

I'm a creative guy, and I 3D model, and create music as a hobby, and have been doing for a very long time.

I have one issue though, and that is procrastination.

Now, I'm meant to enjoy 3D modeling... otherwise, why would I do it? I'm good at it yes, and I enjoy the process whilst I'm doing it, and enjoy the outcome,

But at the same time, I've been on the computer all night tonight, and haven't done a SINGLE thing to do with the work. Nothing.
    Yet, whilst I was in my day job, I was thinking constantly "I'm going to get some work done tonight on that... get this done, etc, etc", but when the time comes... I don't, or do very little. My day job has nothing to do with my hobby.

I have the program open, but don't really move on.

Why?

Don't I really enjoy what I'm doing... and doing it because I'm good at it and its something I've just gotten used to doing?
    Or is something else possibly at play?

I've been wondering if I could ever have a 3D modeling job, as I would feel this would constantly happen.

Its just something thats confused me. Surely if I enjoyed doing something... I wouldn't be avoiding doing it?
    I'm in the exact same situation right now. I've been thinking about this a lot. I'm starting to realise that it's human nature. You start off being really excited about something and spending a lot of time on it, then eventually the excitement wears down and you find yourself avoiding it and not really bothering with it (like relationships, lol).

I don't think you've necessarily lost interest, I think you're just finding it a bit slow paced and you're starting to realise just how much commitment and time it takes/will take.

The trick is to do it anyway. Just start. Think - OK, I'll do it for FIVE minutes. Just five. Then when you start, you'll find that you don't want to stop. Getting started is the most difficult step, but that's because it's the only thing getting in the way most of the time.

Look at me giving advice. So funny. I'm so bad with procrastinating that I don't even procrastinate properly.. seriously, I don't even bother with TV shows as a distraction any more. Now I just stare at walls.

But take the advice, it really works if you use it. It does when I do. It's not easy though. Do your best and good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by labratinth)
    I'm in the exact same situation right now. I've been thinking about this a lot. I'm starting to realise that it's human nature. You start off being really excited about something and spending a lot of time on it, then eventually the excitement wears down and you find yourself avoiding it and not really bothering with it (like relationships, lol).

I don't think you've necessarily lost interest, I think you're just finding it a bit slow paced and you're starting to realise just how much commitment and time it takes/will take.

The trick is to do it anyway. Just start. Think - OK, I'll do it for FIVE minutes. Just five. Then when you start, you'll find that you don't want to stop. Getting started is the most difficult step, but that's because it's the only thing getting in the way most of the time.

Look at me giving advice. So funny. I'm so bad with procrastinating that I don't even procrastinate properly.. seriously, I don't even bother with TV shows as a distraction any more. Now I just stare at walls.

But take the advice, it really works if you use it. It does when I do. It's not easy though. Do your best and good luck.
    Thanks for the reply I added this bit in after

"My work is so slow as a result. This model for example I'm doing now should have only took a couple months or less, and its took me more than a year so far of on/off work, but I'm already planning my next project, so I must have some enthusiasm for it. I just don't understand. I really do not."

I do find once I've started work on it, I carry on until bed time. Its just starting it off. My work is in the Creative thread if you are interested in checking it out.

Haha, its always easier to dish out help, than help yourself

I should probably be going bed now, but thanks for the advice. I'm off for the next 2 days, so I'm hoping I will actually get some work done
    I can see the finish line on this project.

What is it you are working on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    Thanks for the reply I added this bit in after

"My work is so slow as a result. This model for example I'm doing now should have only took a couple months or less, and its took me more than a year so far of on/off work, but I'm already planning my next project, so I must have some enthusiasm for it. I just don't understand. I really do not."

I do find once I've started work on it, I carry on until bed time. Its just starting it off. My work is in the Creative thread if you are interested in checking it out.

Haha, its always easier to dish out help, than help yourself

I should probably be going bed now, but thanks for the advice. I'm off for the next 2 days, so I'm hoping I will actually get some work done
    I can see the finish line on this project.

What is it you are working on?
    Glad to help! Good luck with your projects, will check them out in the creative thread. I was just referring to studying and coursework in general . nothing as interesting as your work haha.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.