Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm in my third year of a three year BSc. My partner and I had a child at the end of September last year. I applied for the PLA and sent in the evidence that was requested (sons birth certificate). After some delay (SFE deleting my changed application, website then not allowing me to resubmit, filling in paper forms, etc.) I received a letter saying I needed to send in proof of child benefit, which I did. The child benefit statement is in my partner name but names my son on there and is at our shared address. My partner is on statutory maternity pay, and she deals with all our household expenses - my student loan goes straight to her for bills etc.

I'm now being told that I can't get PLA because the £20 a week child benefit is in her name and not mine. HMRC have quoted 10 weeks to change the child benefit into my name, and then with the delay for SFE receiving/returning/processing the new document in my name I can safely add another 8 weeks on to that. I'll have graduated by then.

It seems a ridiculous system, and if I'd been told at the outset of the application that I'd need the child benefit to be in my name then I could have sorted that months and months ago. As it was I was only told I needed his birth certificate as evidence. SFE took several weeks to even process that after finally managing to process my application.

Is there any other way to sort this out without waiting months and months? If not then there's no point in me even bothering with it

ReputationRep:
    Any reply to this Mark?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Radiating,

Apologies for the delay in replying I wanted to check this with our assessing department before getting back to you.

Unfortunately your name needs to be on either the Child Benefit letter or a Tax Credit Award Notice, there's no way that we can award the PLA without this.

Do you have a Tax Credit Award Notice?

Thanks,
    Mark-Lee

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply, no I don't have a tax credit award notice. It would seem that the system is biased towards students who manage the family finances themselves.

If there's any scope to modify the wording during Parent Learner applications it may well be worth adding these requirements clearly on to the documentation at the beginning of the process instead of allowing students to find out months down the line when it's too late to address.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,

Thanks for the feedback regarding the wording, I've passed this to the team that deals with the wording of the forms and guides for you.

Thanks,
    Mark-Lee

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.