Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in the first year of my computer science course at Salford university and looking to transfer to either Liverpool or Manchester uni since they have much better reputation and would probably offer better teaching quality and facilities, this is what I think anyway.

I currently live in Manchester and commute to uni everyday which takes about two hours there and back. Although I do feel that the social aspect of uni would be better if I lived in halls, I think I've made the right choice to live at home since Salford isn't exactly a nice area and I can save £4000 a year on accommodation and food.

Transferring to Manchester would mean I can still live at home and travel less since it would only take me 1 tram journey and a short walk, and also a lot of catching up since the programme at Manchester is very different.

Transferring to Liverpool would mean I'd be close to the majority of my closest friends, not have to do as much catch up since the programme is fairly similar to salford but I would have to move out, paying at least 4000 for food and accommodation a year and get used to a new city, though this may not necessarily be a bad thing as I do feel like I'm missing out on the uni experience a little bit

I'm very confused and can't decide what to do and need to start writing emails to universities soon so any guidance at all would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I dno't get why you didn't go straight more Manchester anyway..

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually checked whether or not either university will accept you as a transfer student. Once you have a firm offer from either or both universities, then you can start agonising over which to choose.

Just because on paper the Liverpool course seems similiar, don't assume that it is. The slant of a university course depends very much on the lecturer, I've seem course outlines stating one language will be used and books, only for it to be changed in the first lecture.

Transfer because it is the right thing for you to do, not because of friends or percieved prestige. It takes time and effort to transfer successfully. At many universities the second year counts towards your degree classification, you will have to get good grades from day one to make a success of the transfer.

Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    If you are not happy with were you are yes it is a good thing to transfer... and if you can transfer to a better uni. Why not? I was in my first yr and wanted to transfer. You first need to call unis and see if they accept you. But usually they do. Because most of the computer science degree have the code G400. And also you need to have the Alevel grades for that uni and get 60% above from your first year... this is what unis told me. Hope it helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It varies, but I don't think Russell Group universities have much respect for qualifications from ex-polys.

They would probably still expect you to meet the A Level requirements.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get into Manchester because of my A-level grades but I'm currently on a first/high 2:1 in my modules so there's a better chance of them accepting me. I know liverpool takes on 2nd year transfers quite often and when I rang up to get in through clearing the person on phone said there is a high chance of me being able to transfer if I get 2:1 or a first in my first year. I haven't emailed Manchester yet as I thought it might be a bit pointless if I haven't made my mind up about transferring

ReputationRep:
    It takes time to organise a transfer. You should also find out whether or not they require you to apply via UCAS for entry into the second year, if so you will need to organise references and the like. Organising a transfer does not mean you have to go through with it, but you are unlikely to be the only person considering a transfer and places may be limited.

ReputationRep:
    I tried to transfer from an ex-poly to Russell Group universities and none of my responses were very positive.

Most told me that regardless I still have to meet the A Level requirements, and the fact that I have done the first year of a course at an ex-poly is frankly meaningless as far as they're concerned.

I can imagine getting a transfer into the second year will be even more difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Did you manage to transfer university?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.