Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

YouTube lawsuit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    One of my most popular videos on my YouTube channel was recentlly re-uploaded by another user trying to steal my glory.

I reported him to YouTube, made a copyright claim against my original video, and successfully had his video removed.

Now he has pathetically made a counter-claim, which I received in an email this morning, stating that actually my video was the copy (uploaded 9 months before his :rolleyes: ) and that he has "instructed his lawyers to file a lawsuit against me".

Now, that video in question earns me upto £300 per month in ad royalties. It is clear my video was the original, and it is clear this idiot is just trying to abuse the system to get his own way.

On what legal grounds can I have a lawsuit issued against me from another user who is upset I got his copyright infringing video removed?

ReputationRep:
    So far you have told us that you have uploaded a video first. Not that you had created it, or for that matter created it first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xarren)
    So far you have told us that you have uploaded a video first. Not that you had created it, or for that matter created it first.
    And?

That has no relevance. You could have uploaded a music video in 2006 from a band that was not represented on YouTube until VEVO in 2009. Doesn't mean you are the copyright holder of the material, though, does it.

I have proof of being in the video and having the travel documents to say I was in the video on that very day that the video was uploaded.

And yet 9 months later some muppet tries to upload the same thing. :rolleyes:

All of this user's videos are fakes and reuploads of someone else's videos.

ReputationRep:
    Precisely what I had said - in the first post you had said nothing about ownership, simply the upload of the video.

A date stamped envelope of the video recording sent to yourself an unopened would be half decent.

(Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    And?

That has no relevance. You could have uploaded a music video in 2006 from a band that was not represented on YouTube until VEVO in 2009. Doesn't mean you are the copyright holder of the material, though, does it.

I have proof of being in the video and having the travel documents to say I was in the video on that very day that the video was uploaded.

ReputationRep:
    And?

It's very relevant. Is all of the material in the video yours? Did you shoot it yourself? Did you use any music in the vid that wasn't yours to use? You don't know what copyright this user may hold... That said if the answer to those questions are in your favour then ignore the email... Probably some kid... Besides you know how expensive it is to bring a claim in the UK? It's not worth anybodys time for one vid... Not unless you got BPIs resources anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natt39)
    It's very relevant. Is all of the material in the video yours? Did you shoot it yourself? Did you use any music in the vid that wasn't yours to use? You don't know what copyright this user may hold... That said if the answer to those questions are in your favour then ignore the email... Probably some kid... Besides you know how expensive it is to bring a claim in the UK? It's not worth anybodys time for one vid... Not unless you got BPIs resources anyway
    I am a travel expert. I travel the world, blogging my travels, and upload the videos for people to watch on YouTube, I have nearly 1000 subscribers and millions of video views.

This particular video was chronicling a first class flight on a major airline, something that many people can never experience in their lives. Of course I filmed it myself - I have my airline boarding pass with my real name and date of travel matching my youtube username and date of upload.

My entire channel was filmed by myself, and as a YouTube partner earning at least £500 per month from ad royalties on my channel, all content has to be mine otherwise I could not earn money from it. Copyrighted material cannot be monetised. Thus, I do not put pop music tracks over my videos. :rolleyes:

I REPEAT:

I got his video removed as it was MY UPLOAD which he was passing off as his own. Now in response, he is claiming that actually his video was the original and that mine is the copy.Obviously he is a wind-up merchant, but it seems he knows YouTube must listen to him. HIS ENTIRE CHANNEL IS REUPLOADS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S VIDEOS.

Please do not side with the muppet.

I KNOW MY VIDEO IS THE ORIGINAL. Jeez.

All I want to know is how I can get to prove this to YouTube and shut the goon up for good. Because according to YouTube's email that they sent me, if I cannot prove that my copy was the original, then they will reinstate the version of his that I got removed.

ReputationRep:
    Please do not side with the muppet.

All I want to know is how I can get to prove this to YouTube and shut the goon up for good. Because according to YouTube's email that they sent me, if I cannot prove that my copy was the original, then they will reinstate the version of his that I got removed.
    If you'd read the post you'll note that I told you to ignore it, thats hardly siding with this jerk you're not going to get sued that was your original question answered... Right... There must be some procedure for this...

So from what I can gather the actual unedited file along with as much relevant information you can think of would be enough to prove ownership... Having never done this myself I don't know the protocol for getting that to them I assume there must be someway of doing it in the email they sent you.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.