Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Getting bloated all the time - but only in college Watch

ReputationRep:
    I haven't changed anything I eat in college what I use to eat in high school or months before but all a sudden I get really bloated and when it comes to last lesson my stomach makes loud uncomfortable noises and sometimes like yesterday it hurts.

can anyone give me a solution to this embarrassing problem

thanks

ReputationRep:
    You could have suddenly developed an intolerance for something you were fine with and have been eating before. Lactose perhaps... do you eat dairy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    You could have suddenly developed an intolerance for something you were fine with and have been eating before. Lactose perhaps... do you eat dairy?
    Yes, cheese. I'm always eating a cheese sandwich (I'm vegetarian)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happy_Smiles)
    try cutting out anything dairy for a day or two. If its lactose, you'll notice a difference almost right away. Check the ingredients in food. If it just says milk protien its fine, if it says milk or lactose, avoid

ReputationRep:
    If you were lactose intolerant, cheese wouldn't affect you. Cheese (for the most part) does not contain lactose. Also, bloated isn't what I'd describe the feeling you get when suffering from this!

Bloated usually is a wheat / gluten thing. Try cutting bread out of your diet for a day or two.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't changed anything I eat in college what I use to eat in high school or months before but all a sudden I get really bloated and when it comes to last lesson my stomach makes loud uncomfortable noises and sometimes like yesterday it hurts.

can anyone give me a solution to this embarrassing problem

thanks
    As above said.........it could be any small time intolerance.
    Or it could even be possibly stress related.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    If you were lactose intolerant, cheese wouldn't affect you. Cheese (for the most part) does not contain lactose. Also, bloated isn't what I'd describe the feeling you get when suffering from this!

Bloated usually is a wheat / gluten thing. Try cutting bread out of your diet for a day or two.
    Depends on the cheese. mature or very hard cheeses don't contain it. Soft and mild cheeses often do. Bloating is a very common symptom (Its visible in somone I know) How quickly it comes and goes points to lactose too as with gluten/wheat the symptoms last a lot longer.

It is worth trying to cut out bread and biscuits and things if there's no difference from cutting dairy, its best to try them separately though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    Depends on the cheese. mature or very hard cheeses don't contain it. Soft and mild cheeses often do. Bloating is a very common symptom (Its visible in somone I know) How quickly it comes and goes points to lactose too as with gluten/wheat the symptoms last a lot longer.

It is worth trying to cut out bread and biscuits and things if there's no difference from cutting dairy, its best to try them separately though.

I actually cut cheese out of my diet whilst in college and the bloating problem stopped. I also cut bread out the following week whilst eating cheese - no difference still had the problem. But the week before that I ate bread and no cheese and the problem WAS GONE!!

ReputationRep:
    I actually cut cheese out of my diet whilst in college and the bloating problem stopped. I also cut bread out the following week whilst eating cheese - no difference still had the problem. But the week before that I ate bread and no cheese and the problem WAS GONE!!
    Lactose intolerance it is then. I don't know if you've done any research, but the cause of it is that your body stops making the enzyme lactase, so your body can't break down the lactose properly. If there are time you are really missing cheese or ice cream or something, or someone is cooking for you and you can't really avoid eating dairy, you can get lactase supplements that should stop the bloating. http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pag...actase&rdcnt=1

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.