Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    29. A couple of years ago it probably would have been much worse. Moving to London (strangers are busy and most of the time don't care what you do) and having a discussion in class with other students has helped a lot to overcome my fears.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    93, unsurprising.

ReputationRep:
    37, I just have confidence issues lol

ReputationRep:
    I got 71, middle ground I guess, although I suppose I'm more paranoid and neurotic than anxious

ReputationRep:
    107 im impressed :yep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

was expecting less as thought i was more on the side of high generalised anxiety, but reading through the situations, it does make sense

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    6. It's very subjective, people's concept of "mild", "moderate", "severe" etc vary vastly. I wouldn't trust this for a self-diagnosis of anything.

ReputationRep:
    I got 82, surprised it's not higher.

The question about walking into a room when everyone is already seated is such a fear of mine.
    I have actually avoided lectures and tutorials if I'm a few minutes late because I can't face walking in in front of everyone.

ReputationRep:
    39 (fear) + 24 (avoidance) = 63

ReputationRep:
    72. ^^'

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    28, lot lower than expected. Maybe I subconsciously lied a bit :/ I think that if I was put into some of those situations right now, my score would be higher because I'm usually quite anxious in public

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    32. Although I probably should be concerned about certain things a little bit more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    '40 (fear) + 31 (avoidance) = 71
    You have marked social anxiety disorder.'

Ah.. well it wouldn't be a surprise if i did have the elements of this disorder. If i had taken this test a few years ago, my anxiety would be somewhere in the hundreds i am sure!! Felt good to see the ones that i could now put as mild or none whereas before i would have marked a few as severe and would have usually avoided the situation

ReputationRep:
    51 lower than expected!

ReputationRep:

You do not have a social anxiety disorder.

ReputationRep:
    20! I think it would have been higher whilst I was a teenager though

ReputationRep:
    I got 8. Wasn't expecting a high score though to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    Then you don't need a test. If you are scared of people judging you, you wont like any of the situations on the test. :confused:
    By breaking it down you can see exactly how much you are affected by social anxiety.

(Original post by Madam, I'm Adam)
    That's amazing, do you mind me asking how you managed to achieve this and overcome it? Anything you would recommend that worked for you?
    I didn't follow a strict program or anything though I'm sure one exists, so I don't really know how to describe it.
    But the first change is a mindset shift. Stop looking it as a component of you, or an entity in your way. That gives it substance. Consider it as a habit that you're trying to break.
    I personally did it a lot of stuff due to SA without realising. A lot of social anxiety help states to "be yourself" and you should be able to do it without thinking - true... if you're normal. At this stage you need to be thinking a lot, to minimize missing out things you're doing that are contributing to it without realizing. Someone tells a joke? You might not have ever thought about it but do you laugh along with anyone else?
    Conscious manifestations of social anxiety - where you're fully aware what you're doing... well all I can suggest is forcing yourself to do the opposite. Ask yourself what you would do if you didn't have SA. For example, if your friends ask you out, go out. If someone starts a conversation with you then try and keep it going. If you're not talking to anyone, realize this and start a conversation etc.
    It's tiring but did pay off. The constant thinking about what you are doing makes you more self conscious unfortunately (on top of what you already are) so you have to force yourself to do the "right" thing even harder. Over time you've formed a new habit and you don't have to think about it anymore. And at the same time, you can't be in your head all the time and you need to be aware of what's happening in your social situation.

Hope some of this helped. Tbh my main problem in overcoming SA was the lack of social situations open to me to try and fix it. I'm sure there are better tips on the net, but any semi-decent advice should work with enough effort.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 8, 2017
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.