Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Do drunken words speak a sober mind? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if what my friend said/did whilst drunk shows how they really feel about something.....?

As in, when people are drunk, do they talk nonsense or is it really the truth they are too scared to talk about whilst sober?

ReputationRep:
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That'll teach you to keep quiet. Ernest Hemingway

<3 x

ReputationRep:
    It depends how you react to alcohol.
    I have friends who blab on about complete and utter nonsense when they're drunk.
    I have others who tell me their deepest darkest secrets and speak their sober mind.
    Nevertheless, if I were you I'd take it with a pinch of salt. Forget about it.
    If it's really bothering you, than approach your friend and explain the situation to him/her.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    No. Personally, I'm still somewhat concious and wouldn't reveal anything secretive about me or anything of a sensitive matter.

ReputationRep:
    I am far too honest when I am drunk. In fact I am bad enough sober, but drunk it just goes too far! So for me definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Yes;
    a friend told a guy she liked that she wanted something more, it turned out really well...they're together now and both really happy
    i told a friend some stuff i was keeping to myself, turned out well again as she's being really supportive
    theres a point where you are clueless of what you are saying, but when you're only slightly drunk you are still aware just more confident and less reserved..

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Inhibitions gone...truth flows like fine wine.

ReputationRep:
    in my experience yes, though there comes a point where it becomes exaggerated/distorted version of the sober thought......

ReputationRep:
    The mask comes off, truth comes out

ReputationRep:
    Personally, yes.

ReputationRep:
    It's unlikely to be something they didn't think at all when sober, but equally they are likely to have said it with more emphasis or vehemence than they would ever have meant to.

All alcohol does is partially block neural pathways, so you can't make connections so quickly. It's still the same brain, but when you're very drunk you can sort of fixate on an idea, and by the time your inhibitions come into play it's too late. It doesn't mean your friend meant it badly, but everyone thinks things they would rather keep private, which is why I try not to get that drunk.

How bad was it?

ReputationRep:
    *** vinum, veritas.

ReputationRep:
    For me personally, yes.

ReputationRep:
    No, or I wouldn't have told someone I'd only just me that I love them...

ReputationRep:
    Personally, no. If you've got stuff worth keeping to yourself, you'll know your limits and get to the point where you know what you're on about and not blurt out everything. If you drink enough, probably.

ReputationRep:
    I am no more truthful drunk than when sober, however the way I deliver my opinions differs. I'm definitely way more blunt and "rude" after a couple of drinks however when I'm sober I'm more tactful and considerate of others feelings.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes when you're a bit drunk, people open up and share things that otherwise would never be said. Its quite nice having a deep chat after coming home from a night out and sharing personal experiences with friends.

But most of the time its just drunk "I LOVEEEE YOOOOUUU"'s to people you have never seen before....

ReputationRep:
    Both. I'm more likely to be honest in a situation where i would usually be scared to be. But i also can say a hell of a lot of stuff i'd never dream of saying sober.

ReputationRep:
    Once, I held my batchel straight out in front of me and wandered up the street with my arm stretched out telling everyone I was Chancellor of the Exchequer. So, no... People don't always tell the truth when they're drunk. I look nothing like George Osborne.

ReputationRep:
    Depends - I have consciously lied to people when I'm drunk, so its not exactly a truth serum.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.