Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Do drunken words speak a sober mind? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In my experience yes drunk words do reveal your sober thoughts. One of the girls in my friendship group was on a path to destruction and it was only when drunk that a guy told her exactly what we had wanted to say despite being afraid of saying it to her. It probably wasn't the best way as he was very blunt and straight to the point but it got it out in the open.

ReputationRep:
    I've found that is the case. The truth comes out when people are drunk; often times this is actually needed since repression of these things leads to problems.

It's true what House says: Everybody Lies

Being drunk just reduces this... people become more honest creatures.

ReputationRep:
    In my case, 50% of the time. The other 50% I am just speaking a complete load of nonsense.

So all in all I wouldn't bet on it.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how drunk. Sometimes it's true what they say, but sometimes it's nonsense. What did they say exactly?

Im just glad confessions are not legally accepted when under the influence.

ReputationRep:
    In Vino Veritas.. yes.

ReputationRep:
    No, I am just horny when drunk and just say whatever is the most likely thing to get my end a way...usually lies. girl in club/bar...'do you find me attractive'...my drunk answer 'yes, I genuinely think you're beautiful'....honest answer would be 'No, you're a bit fat and ropey looking and it is 2:30 and I want a ****'

I am honest when sober.

Now cocaine is a good question...I am honest on that to a scary level....I once checked my friend for testicular cancer when both on coke...that is how stupid it gets....I am not a doctor!

ReputationRep:
    With a few negligible exceptions, a man's actions when he is drunk do accurately reflect his true feelings and intentions. This is because his drunkenness relieves his inhibitions, making him more capable of behaving according to his impulses and natural inclinations. However, from an attracted girl's perspective, this honesty carries with it an ambiguity, because in addition to relieving a man's internal inhibitions, alcohol also relieves his external inhibitions; and there is almost no way to judge which one is driving (or, more accurately, allowing) his words and actions. By internal inhibitions I mean those that come from within, i.e. ones that are a product of his personal weaknesses - fear of embarrassment or lack of self-confidence. By external inhibitions I mean those that come from the expectations of society, such as the pressure to date high-quality women, to not sleep with a girl you don't want to date, or avoid sleep sleeping with your female coworker for fear of upsetting your professional relationship at work. Both types go by the wayside when drunkenness sets in.

The loss of both of these types of inhibitions leave a man's natural impulses unchecked, and you can be sure he will start to act on them in proportion to his level of drunkenness. The ambiguity is introduced by the fact that a guy's sincere feelings might just as well be "I have a crush on that girl and want to date her," as they could be "I want to **** that girl tonight and tonight only." In the light of drunkenness, however, the behavior resulting from both sets of feelings is one and the same: he flirts with you or gives you more attention. So the distinction between these two attitudes is not what you should be looking for when you try to interpret his drunken actions. You need to wait for a clearer data point to make this kind of judgement.

But as I suggested at the start of this post, this ambiguity does not mean no useful information can be gained from a guy's drunken advances. And this is because there is yet another external inhibition that is ignored by drunken men, namely, the concern that "I should be nice to this girl and talk to her even though I don't want to have sex with her or date her." Your clue comes entirely from his dismissal of this inhibition as he drinks. While you may not be able to determine whether or not his advances are purely sexual when he flirts with you, you can at least rule out the possibility that he has no interest in you. If he weren't at least sexually interested, you can be sure he would be off chasing other girls, rather than being "tied down" by the social obligation to be nice, or even just social.

So next time the guy you likes makes a drunken advance, don't stress out trying to decipher the implications. Instead, acknowledge that it means he is at least sexually interested in you, and wait for your next (sober) data point.

TL;DR: If he expresses sexual attraction for you, then yes, it is a true reflection that he is interested in sleeping with you are that very moment. But it gives no reliable indication that he is interested in dating you.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.