Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi I was wondering what kinda things people did or planning to do during their gap year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melly91)
    Hi I was wondering what kinda things people did or planning to do during their gap year?
    Hello Melly and welcome to TSR

I did a gap year and the following are things I did/ideas I thought about beforehand:

1) Learn a language

2) Volunteer (never a shortage of volunteers)

3) Pick up a hobby... anything from web design/textiles/knitting/walking/running/gaming...etc

4) learn to drive

5) A partime/fulltime job

6) Set yourself a goal and accomplish it (read 50 books/lose weight/get fitter/put on weight/mass...etc

7) Browse TSR/reddit

8) Learn to cook?! (this can go under hobbies!)

Now one thing to remember... you need to show the University that you did not waste time... you did something productive... so do enjoy a year off, but make sure you can put something down. Gaps in timelines on your CV/Personal statements are destructive so make sure something goes down... one or more of the above should suffice

Also, forget what the Uni and employers will think of you for a second and take my advice, I whole-heartedly wish I have a lot of free time, so much I want to do... so little time!

Invest in your time to make your life at uni easier the following year after your gap year. Make money/pick up a hobby you enjoy and to which you can belong in a club/society whilst at uni. Read/teach your self relevant topics to do with what you want to do at uni...

I hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Worked for seven months (barmaid) and travelled for six months (Australia mainly & Malaysia).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)

I did a gap year and the following are things I did/ideas I thought about beforehand:

1) Learn a language

3) Pick up a hobby... anything from web design/textiles/knitting/walking/running/gaming...etc

4) learn to drive

6) Set yourself a goal and accomplish it (read 50 books/lose weight/get fitter/put on weight/mass...etc

7) Browse TSR/reddit

Now one thing to remember... you need to show the University that you did not waste time... you did something productive... so do enjoy a year off, but make sure you can put something down. Gaps in timelines on your CV/Personal statements are destructive so make sure something goes down... one or more of the above should suffice

Also, forget what the Uni and employers will think of you for a second and take my advice, I whole-heartedly wish I have a lot of free time, so much I want to do... so little time!

Invest in your time to make your life at uni easier the following year after your gap year. Make money/pick up a hobby you enjoy and to which you can belong in a club/society whilst at uni. Read/teach your self relevant topics to do with what you want to do at uni...

I hope this helps!

Hello 4TSR and thank you!

Thank you for all your suggestions, particularly "learn how to cook" one, I'll defo make my parents happy with that lol.
    You've given me a list there which I'm spoilt for choice I was considering learning a language, but I particularly want to learn a language that might benefit me in the future!? Any suggestions on that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melly91)
    Hello 4TSR and thank you!

Thank you for all your suggestions, particularly "learn how to cook" one, I'll defo make my parents happy with that lol.
    You've given me a list there which I'm spoilt for choice I was considering learning a language, but I particularly want to learn a language that might benefit me in the future!? Any suggestions on that?
    As for the language, choose one of the following depending on your interest:

Middle eastern conflict/history/culture: Learn Arabic as it also opens doors for you to work in the secret service and law enforcement.

Most spoken language in the world after English: Chinese. China is dominating the world and the web, and learning their language will put you at an advantage in many job markets depending on where you apply and work

Many many countries speak Spanish and it has become a rather popular language

Germany is the capital of Europe's manufacture industry, learning German will open many opportunities for you in Germany should you choose to work in that field.

French is a beautiful language and a lot of french speakers here in the UK and Paris is an excellent holiday destination (most of France is, in fact) Cheap and close... you can always work there, go holidays there etc

Learning to cook is most definitely useful, but if you have this much time to learn, you might as well go full out and proper learn. Become an awesome chef and send me some cakes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)

1) Learn a language

4) learn to drive

7) Browse TSR/reddit

I hope this helps!
    A fantastic and informative comment my friend!!

ReputationRep:
    If you want a fairly normal (but not typical) gap year experience one thing to consider is being a gap year tutor at a (usually boarding) school. Obviously there are some conditions, such as you'd have to like kids, if you're tutoring in a senior schools you'd have to be very clear on boundaries with 6th formers, etc but overall it's a highly recommended gap year activity that will mean food, a roof and something to put on your CV. Usually there's a bit of a start up cost but some places will pay you a weekly wage and you can travel in the holidays and some weekends. Most schools use Tutors Worldwide http://www.tutorsworldwide.org which is a good place to contact if you're interested. They place people in schools in England, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

Of course, you can do the normal travel/waitressing/backpacking gig which can be great, but I think you'd have to get a small group of friends together at least to start out. This is a classic and can be a lot of fun. My grandmother did this in the late 50s/early 60s and says she had the time of her life. If you don't have a willing group of friends, try staying in a YMCA (or YWCA or other backpacking location) in a fairly safe area or country and make some like minded friends there.

If you're not so into travel, or if you find you have time when you do, try getting a job and/or learning some life skills like sewing, cooking, ballroom dancing, public speaking, how to dress for job interviews, how to apply make-up in a flattering way, etc.

Other popular gap year activities include nannying, tutoring local children and bar work. You can also try working on vineyards and orchards (often overseas). New Zealand is always looking for migrant student fruit pickers and being in the southern hemisphere the harvest season should fit into your gap year nicely (I think!) Here's the government website on visas:http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...opportunities/

And a job website: http://www.seasonaljobs.co.nz/main.a...t_picking_jobs

You can also try being a chauffeur, biscuit line worker, anything! Often a gap year is a great time to try out a low paying job that's you've always been curious about, or that builds valuable skills, but is not in line with your future career (or is perhaps below one's dignity at any other time in one's life). Do try to keep the jobs above board and classy, though!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.