Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have just filled in my student finance application for my final year of my course. It has asked in the final section for "compelling personal reasons evidence?"

I am assuming its because I started a degree when I first left sixth form, but left due to severe anxiety issues. I took a year out to sort myself out and get back on track and then returned to a different university on a different course.

What do they class as compelling personal reasons? I'm so scared they will deny my application, I wouldn't be able to finish my degree and I am so close.

Any advice much appreciated.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hvh)
    I have just filled in my student finance application for my final year of my course. It has asked in the final section for "compelling personal reasons evidence?"

I am assuming its because I started a degree when I first left sixth form, but left due to severe anxiety issues. I took a year out to sort myself out and get back on track and then returned to a different university on a different course.

What do they class as compelling personal reasons? I'm so scared they will deny my application, I wouldn't be able to finish my degree and I am so close.

Any advice much appreciated.
    It sounds like you don't need to worry. Everyone is eligible for funding for the length of their course plus one year for a "false start". So if you started one degree but left that just used up your extra year of funding but leaves you with enough to fund all of your current course.

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    I'm being asked to write this as well, I'm really unsure of what to write though.

I started a nursing diploma but left due to ill health, but I received no student finance as its all NHS funded...I'm about to start uni again in september, but student finance are saying I'm not entitled to them paying my fees.

So I rang and the dude on the helpline said I needed to write this letter and it'd be fine, but what the hell do I write??? Any help would be so appreciated, you sound like you know what youre talking about!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allthetime)
    I'm being asked to write this as well, I'm really unsure of what to write though.

I started a nursing diploma but left due to ill health, but I received no student finance as its all NHS funded...I'm about to start uni again in september, but student finance are saying I'm not entitled to them paying my fees.

So I rang and the dude on the helpline said I needed to write this letter and it'd be fine, but what the hell do I write??? Any help would be so appreciated, you sound like you know what youre talking about!
    Just write saying what illness you had and how it affected you, and why this then meant you had to drop out.

So you might say that you had measles, which was contagious and therefore you were unable to attend lectures. As a result you fell behind in the work and you were unable to complete the required coursework on time.

Then if possible include evidence. Your doctor should write a letter if you ask, although they may charge for it. Alternatively, you might have things like hospital appointment letters or a schedule of when to take medication etc - it will vary depending on what your illness was.
    If your evidence will take a while to collect then write telling them that you will send it as soon as you can.

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Just write saying what illness you had and how it affected you, and why this then meant you had to drop out.

So you might say that you had measles, which was contagious and therefore you were unable to attend lectures. As a result you fell behind in the work and you were unable to complete the required coursework on time.

Then if possible include evidence. Your doctor should write a letter if you ask, although they may charge for it. Alternatively, you might have things like hospital appointment letters or a schedule of when to take medication etc - it will vary depending on what your illness was.
    If your evidence will take a while to collect then write telling them that you will send it as soon as you can.

Sent from my GT-S5363
    Thankyou! You were much more helpful than the guy on the helpline
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allthetime)
    Thankyou! You were much more helpful than the guy on the helpline
    Make it as obvious as you can. Don't just write that you had a broken leg, write that this meant you couldn't climb the 3 flights of stairs to your lectures and theres no lift.

Sent from my GT-S5363

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.