Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    So, essentially I am aiming to apply to a top university and I'm torn between straight up studying Law, or studying History and doing a conversion course to Law. I'm leaning towards doing the History course and then convering, hover that isn't what I'm posting about.
    For courses such as law, it's relatively simple to get experience to put down with your application - however seeing as I'm doing history and then a conversion course, do I need to notify them of this, or just that I'm intending to study History - also do I need to get experience for History, or Law as I intend to convert once I graduate?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilder Airs)
    Hi!
    So, essentially I am aiming to apply to a top university and I'm torn between straight up studying Law, or studying History and doing a conversion course to Law. I'm leaning towards doing the History course and then convering, hover that isn't what I'm posting about.
    For courses such as law, it's relatively simple to get experience to put down with your application - however seeing as I'm doing history and then a conversion course, do I need to notify them of this, or just that I'm intending to study History - also do I need to get experience for History, or Law as I intend to convert once I graduate?

Cheers.
    As has been said above, if you're wanting to do history and then do law then I'd advise you to consider doing undergrad law as doing a conversion course can be incredibly costly as there are no student loans available, so you're looking at £9000 a year in fees plus living costs. You will more than likely be able to find a course that allows you to study a few optional modules in history even if it wasn't part of your LLB degree.

In terms of work experience, you don't need it for history and nor do you need it for law. Yes, if you do something really relevant than that's great but universities realise that not everyone can go to a law firm for experience as it often requires contacts and likewise not everyone can go to a museum for similar reasons. If you have something relevant to say then mention it but if you don't then you don't need to say anything at all - it's the same with progression after your degree. Unis don't really care what you plan to do in 5 years time and know that plans change so you can say you want to study law after (if you do apply for history) but it's not essential.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome cheers for the advice from you both I am actually aiming to get into Cambridge to do History/Law, so that is why I was looking into doing super curricular activities for my application :3
    However you've both raised some interesting points, in particular the more tactical choice of university and the view towards work experience - I think I'm going to have to mull them both over to a great extent.
    Again, thank you for taking the time to help me with this

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.