Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    1. I am currently studying a 60 credit OU module and receiving a tuition fee loan from you for this. I am going to Uni this year in September, how will that loan effect my entitlement for my course? If I do a four year course, i.e. three years but with a placement year, will I still receive student finance for the full four years?

2. If my wife studies for a MA which is not covered by student finance how would this affect our entitlement? Would we receive a special support grant due to both being students? Would the adult dependents grant be removed? We have dependants and are currently both studying and not working.

3. I sent in the required evidence items a month ago for my application for September and they were returned approx two weeks ago. Your website says you are still awaiting the items you have returned - how long will it take to update my application and process it? I applied as soon as the applications were opened for 13/14.

Thanks!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Teacake,

1. Your entitlement to student finance for your new course will very much depend on the qualification that you will gain from the OU or the one that you currently hold.

If you have gained a qualification then our normal rules regarding previous study apply and you may only be entitled to maintenance loan and supplementary grants for some of your course.

2. As your wife will be an MA student you should qualify for the Special Support Grant as long as she can provide evidence that she is a student. In this scenario the Adult Dependent Grant will be removed.

3. All evidence items are scanned upon receipt and the original documents are returned to their owners. Scanned copies are placed in an assessing queue and passed to our assessing teams. This means that although your evidence has been returned it hasn't necessarily been worked and therefore your account won't have updated as this only happens once items have actually been worked on.

Hope this all helps,
    Mark-Lee

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Mark-Lee that was helpful.

I will only gain a pass on a 60 credit module with the OU that contributes towards the 360 credits needed for a BSc with them. I have no previous study history nor will I gain a qualification. I would be studying for a BSc at university?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi again Teacake,

You're very welcome.

That's absolutely fine then you should be entitled to the regular student finance package including tuition fee loan, maintenance loan and income assessed maintenance grant.

Thanks!
    Mark-Lee

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.