Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Am I entitled to further finance? watch

    • Thread Starter


    I started a course in 2009 which was due to finish in July 2012. I applied for and secured both the tuition fees and maintenance loan for all three years (excluding household income). After my third year, I had to extend on the same course due to unforeseen circumstances into the current academic year. As it was classed as a repeat, I was charged no tuition so applied for and secured a further year of maintenance loan only. I know that you can apply for the number of years of your course + 1 year and then minus previous years of study. So in total I applied for 3 years tuition and 4 years maintenance loan. Therefore, as far as I am aware, have used my full entitlement of maintenance loan at least, if not both.

    Unfortunately, I then failed this one module this year. As a result of this, I cannot complete my degree in the title I originally applied for so have to do a replacement module next year at this university to complete the degree under a different title, otherwise sign up to open university for a full time year or 2 years of part time study to complete a degree through credit transfer. If I do this at my current establishment, I would be there for one further semester or one year at the old tuition rate (otherwise fees may be waived depending on whether classed as repeat or replacement study), however, open university would be the new system of tuition if I did it there.

    My questions
    - Even though I applied for a 4th year of maintenance, because I have only requested 3 years of tuition, can I apply for the 4th year of tuition but not the maintenance loan?
    - My university said that I can have unlimited maintenance loan but just not tuition loan, in which case I could apply for maintenance loan and fund my tuition. I am sure this is incorrect though. Please clarify.
    - If I pursued credit transfer through the open university, I would have to pay the new tuition fee system which I believe is 5000 for a year currently. How does funding with open university work and again considering the above situation?

    Many thanks, Lucy
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Lucy,

    1. Although you've only had 3 years of tuition fee loans because you've taken 4 years of maintenance loan you won't be entitled to a further tuition fee year unfortunately.

    2. You should be able to apply for another maintenance loan as you don't yet hold a degree.

    3. OU students only qualify for tuition fee loans so you wouldn't be eligible to receive any help for an OU course.

    Hope this helps,
    • Thread Starter

    Okay thank you. I thought that may be the case.

    As I don't hold a degree yet but may need maintenance loan, how do I apply for that online or do I have to do over the phone? Do I list the degree under what it would have been previously or file it as the new title I would obtain when applying seen as I don't hold the degree I was previously applying under but it is the same course of study? Does it matter as I don't require the tuition anyway whether it is listed under the old or new?

    When do I need to apply by?
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.