Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I've just found out that due to some family circumstances I am going to be missing the next 3 weeks of uni, including tests, labs, assignments etc.

I am really worried that this is going to bugger everything up and I'm going to do badly in my exams etc. I will be missing around 20 hours of contact time a week.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did you cope? Did you mess up your exams?

I'm the kinda person that aims for and achieves 70/80/90% in tests and coursework so being able to make do, get by and scrape a pass at 40% is not something I want to have to do.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The first thing to do is contact your department or personal tutor and explain your circumstances. At the very least your tutors may be able to help you catch up, and it may be that they can consider shifting some deadlines if the circumstances are serious enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    I've just found out that due to some family circumstances I am going to be missing the next 3 weeks of uni, including tests, labs, assignments etc.

I am really worried that this is going to bugger everything up and I'm going to do badly in my exams etc. I will be missing around 20 hours of contact time a week.

Has anyone been in a similar situation? How did you cope? Did you mess up your exams?

I'm the kinda person that aims for and achieves 70/80/90% in tests and coursework so being able to make do, get by and scrape a pass at 40% is not something I want to have to do.
    I know a girl is broke her ankle and didn't come back to uni for about or just over a month. Though to be fair she takes history I think or politics so she only have to do reading.

ReputationRep:
    If you keep up with all your reading, it won't be impossible to survive, but you won't have perfect grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    The first thing to do is contact your department or personal tutor and explain your circumstances. At the very least your tutors may be able to help you catch up, and it may be that they can consider shifting some deadlines if the circumstances are serious enough.
    I've contacted my course director, so hopefully he'll help me with all the mitigating circumstances paperwork I need to do.

(Original post by emerset)
    If you keep up with all your reading, it won't be impossible to survive, but you won't have perfect grades.
    The problem is because it's Engineering it's a lot of practical stuff that I can't do at home, this is what I'm worried about.

ReputationRep:
    I've contacted my course director, so hopefully he'll help me with all the mitigating circumstances paperwork I need to do.

The problem is because it's Engineering it's a lot of practical stuff that I can't do at home, this is what I'm worried about.
    Check if you can drop a couple courses without it affecting your grade. That will give you more time to try to study the few courses remaining and get you a passing grade. I have to say that in my university you would not pass engineering absent for that long.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Good. See what they can do.

Anyway, in answer to your question - I missed three weeks of my final year with a (very nasty) case of flu, and it all came out in the wash. I was a politics student, mind, so I wasn't missing practicals, but nor did I really do anything during that time (too ill!) so it wasn't as though I used that time productively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emerset)
    Check if you can drop a couple courses without it affecting your grade. That will give you more time to try to study the few courses remaining and get you a passing grade. I have to say that in my university you would not pass engineering absent for that long.
    I can't drop classes, I need all my credits.

I think something would have to go terribly wrong for me not to pass, I've already got about 17 or 18% out of a possible 20% from coursework in all my classes, but I obviously want to keep my average grade above 60% to stay on the masters course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    Good. See what they can do.

Anyway, in answer to your question - I missed three weeks of my final year with a (very nasty) case of flu, and it all came out in the wash. I was a politics student, mind, so I wasn't missing practicals, but nor did I really do anything during that time (too ill!) so it wasn't as though I used that time productively.
    Well that gives me some hope!
    Hopefully I will be able to keep on top of lectures and tutorials from home, as all the slides go online, so I will just need to worry about the labs I am missing, and my group projects.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.