Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Got a bit of a dilemma and wanted to ask what you would all do in the same position.
    I've got an offer to do an Access course starting Sept and afterwards I'm wanting to do Early Childhood Studies at university. I'm also a qualified nursery nurse so am 100% sure that this is what I want to do. I chose this year to start originally because my eldest child would be starting comprehensive school and my youngest will be starting primary school. However, this is where my dilemma begins!

Firstly, I'm 35 so don't want to leave going to uni for too much longer. I left school in 1993 with 5 gcse's at c or above including 2xC's in English Lang/lit and double award C in science, however I only got an E in maths.

I decided that I wouldn't start the Access course this year and do gcse maths at an adult education centre first then start the Access next year. However, after contacting both the universities I want to go to I don't actually need the maths gcse because I have functional skills level 2 and one of the universities will accept 12 level 2 maths credits from the access course.

Basically what I'm asking is would you start the Access this year then go to uni next or is it still worth doing the gcse maths for a year and re-apply for the Access course next year??

I know nobody can tell me what to do but in the same situation what would you do??????

Thanks people x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why would you do the GSCE Maths? You don't need it for uni and presumably you don't need it to get a place on the Access course.

What advantage do you think the GCSE Maths would give you, when the unis think that the Access course will give you maths skills to an equivalent level (as long as you get the marks they specify)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Why would you do the GSCE Maths? You don't need it for uni and presumably you don't need it to get a place on the Access course.

What advantage do you think the GCSE Maths would give you, when the unis think that the Access course will give you maths skills to an equivalent level (as long as you get the marks they specify)?
    Thanks for your reply

That's why I asked if it would still be worth doing the gcse or not. I know if I decided to go onto teaching I would need it, but at this moment in time I have no intentions of going into teaching

Thanks again

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what Klix88 said.

It'd only be worth doing GSCE Maths if the universities required you to have it in order to get onto the course.

If you think you might be interested in going to other universities (not just the two you've contacted) they may require the GCSE, only then would it be worth doing IMO. However, since both universities you like said you don't need it I'd jump straight into the Access course.

No point holding off for another year if you don't have to

ReputationRep:
    Id check the access course has enough maths credits. I did my access course last year and we did statistics but we only got 9 credits from it. I had to have gsce maths and english at c or above to do my access course but if you do not need it for the access or uni i would do the access this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RetroSpectacles)
    I agree with what Klix88 said.

It'd only be worth doing GSCE Maths if the universities required you to have it in order to get onto the course.

If you think you might be interested in going to other universities (not just the two you've contacted) they may require the GCSE, only then would it be worth doing IMO. However, since both universities you like said you don't need it I'd jump straight into the Access course.

No point holding off for another year if you don't have to
    Thank you

I've looked at only two universities as they are the closest to where I live because of my family commitments. Either would mean about a 30 minute commute so don't think that is too bad.

Thanks for your reply

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redrose90)
    Id check the access course has enough maths credits. I did my access course last year and we did statistics but we only got 9 credits from it. I had to have gsce maths and english at c or above to do my access course but if you do not need it for the access or uni i would do the access this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How would I find this information out? Would the college be able to tell me if I rang them?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They should do, it may even say on the website

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redrose90)
    They should do, it may even say on the website

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It just says on website level 2 maths. Ill give them a ring in the morning.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lynetteb35)
    Thank you

I've looked at only two universities as they are the closest to where I live because of my family commitments. Either would mean about a 30 minute commute so don't think that is too bad.

Thanks for your reply

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's fair enough then Be sure to double check the universities accept the level of maths you'd get from the Access, then go for it! All the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RetroSpectacles)
    That's fair enough then Be sure to double check the universities accept the level of maths you'd get from the Access, then go for it! All the best
    Thank you

One has said they will accept the level 2 functional skills in maths that I hold or maths within the access and the other has said the only equivalent they will accept is maths within the access but I would need 12 credits at level 2 so I'm going to ring the college tomorrow to make sure I will be doing enough level 2 maths credits

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whilst you may not need GCSE maths for the universities you are interested in attending, I have noticed that employers are using GCSE grades (no matter how long ago you got them or how much experience you have) for computer based filtering criteria to differentiate between candidates. So if you have the opportunity to do the GCSE maths alongside your Access course and you have the time, consider doing it. Once you have your degree and if you subsequently find you need GCSE maths, it may cost a great deal more as you may be liable for ELQ fees.

Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edjunkie)
    Whilst you may not need GCSE maths for the universities you are interested in attending, I have noticed that employers are using GCSE grades (no matter how long ago you got them or how much experience you have) for computer based filtering criteria to differentiate between candidates. So if you have the opportunity to do the GCSE maths alongside your Access course and you have the time, consider doing it. Once you have your degree and if you subsequently find you need GCSE maths, it may cost a great deal more as you may be liable for ELQ fees.

Good Luck.
    Hi, thanks for that

I had originally looked into doing the GCSE alongside the Access but thought it might be too full on as maths really isn't my strongest subject!! I have asked on here before if anyone has done maths GCSE alongside Access and how much harder it was and it was mixed responses really. I've got time to decide 100% but how I feel at the minute I may do the GCSE in sept then Access the year after, but like I say plenty of time to decide.
    My other option was to change Access courses (would need to do this to get the required maths credits that my preferred uni is asking for) then apply for uni, if I didn't get in then take the year out to do the GCSE before reapplying the year after.
    I'm really not sure at the minute, don't really know the best thing to do!!

Thanks for replying

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.