Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    So I have unconditionals for Geology (already did my A levels) and I cant narrow it down past these 3 universities: Leeds, UCL and Edingburgh.

So help me decide please.
    Which university has the best reputation for Geology?
    Which would I be most likely to get the best job offers from?
    Which would I enjoy most (I like a party)?

I know that UCL would be really expensive as it is in London, but I'm trying to ignore that whilst I choose. Also do you think UCL is just work work work.
    I loved the fun, relaxed attitude at Leeds, that seemed the most enjoyable uni, but I don't know if it is just not respected enough.

ReputationRep:
    According to one ranking, Edinburgh is ranked 6 in the UK for Geology, Leeds is ranked 10, and UCL is ranked 11.

Personally I would choose UCL or Edinburgh, since as a whole their reputation is much stronger than Leeds.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ings?s=Geology

And of course London would provide a lot of party opportunities and probably better job prospects. UCL is ranked in the global top 20 while Leeds is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rryyaann)
    So I have unconditionals for Geology (already did my A levels) and I cant narrow it down past these 3 universities: Leeds, UCL and Edingburgh.

So help me decide please.
    Which university has the best reputation for Geology?
    Which would I be most likely to get the best job offers from?
    Which would I enjoy most (I like a party)?

I know that UCL would be really expensive as it is in London, but I'm trying to ignore that whilst I choose. Also do you think UCL is just work work work.
    I loved the fun, relaxed attitude at Leeds, that seemed the most enjoyable uni, but I don't know if it is just not respected enough.
    http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/

use this for comparing the graduate prospects for the three universities. As for your first question I don't think it should really matter, I mean all are great universities with a great over all reputation so there won't be a huge difference in the rep of the course. Getting a job will come down to yourself and your profile, not the reputation of the course at the uni.

I'd go for Edinburgh personally. Beautiful city and great nightlife. Plus the people in Edinburgh will be 10times friendlier than a bunch of grumpy Londoners. Also will be considerably cheaper.

I can see where you are coming from in regards to the respectability of Leeds in comparison to the other two, however don't let that faze you. I bet when you check the stats via that site I gave you you'll find very little different in starting pay and graduate jobs. It is still a Russell Group uni so I really wouldn't go to say UCL over Leeds based on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEarlMarshal)
    According to one ranking, Edinburgh is ranked 6 in the UK for Geology, Leeds is ranked 10, and UCL is ranked 11.

Personally I would choose UCL or Edinburgh, since as a whole their reputation is much stronger than Leeds.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...ings?s=Geology

And of course London would provide a lot of party opportunities and probably better job prospects. UCL is ranked in the global top 20 while Leeds is not.
    So you would be willing to go to a university based on a reputation? At the end of the day, fast forward ten years after graduation you would likely be in a rather similar role in regards to employment regardless of which 3 universities you went to. Maybe working in a different city/country and maybe have a different girfriend/wife etc. But I find it hard to believe any sane employer would prefer a UCL graduate over a Leeds graduate, if they do they are probably the same employers who give promotions to employees who are good at football or whatever sport the boss enjoys.

OP please ignore this post and any University 'rankings'.

ReputationRep:
    Leeds for the caving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    So you would be willing to go to a university based on a reputation? At the end of the day, fast forward ten years after graduation you would likely be in a rather similar role in regards to employment regardless of which 3 universities you went to. Maybe working in a different city/country and maybe have a different girfriend/wife etc. But I find it hard to believe any sane employer would prefer a UCL graduate over a Leeds graduate, if they do they are probably the same employers who give promotions to employees who are good at football or whatever sport the boss enjoys.

OP please ignore this post and any University 'rankings'.
    Regardless of your opinion of rankings, some universities are more well known than others, whether you like it or not. Unfortunately, a university's "prestige" or "perceived prestige" is still a factor for employers when deciding who gets the job or not. I know this isnt fair, but a lot of employers are like this. UCL and Edinburgh as a whole are more well known, if the OP was looking for a job in London I'm pretty sure UCL would be better regarded than Leeds. If the OP was in a more rural area, perhaps it wouldn't matter as much.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of your opinion of rankings, some universities are more well known than others, whether you like it or not. Unfortunately, a university's "prestige" or "perceived prestige" is still a factor for employers when deciding who gets the job or not. I know this isnt fair, but a lot of employers are like this. UCL and Edinburgh as a whole are more well known, if the OP was looking for a job in London I'm pretty sure UCL would be better regarded than Leeds. If the OP was in a more rural area, perhaps it wouldn't matter as much.
    Leeds isn't rural

ReputationRep:
    And you have experience of this then yes? You have completed your degree and got a job etc yes? Or are you just another one of TSR's finest academic snobs who ignorantly believe that the overall rank/reputation of a university will land you a job.

Sadly to say be that isn't actually the case. I can't find the UCL page on unistats, however I can see that Leeds and Edinburgh have very similar figures in regards to graduate prospects. I can't understand why though, I mean Edinburgh has a higher reputation. I guess there are some idiot employers out there who thought that a Leeds grad was better than an Edinburgh one.lol, what idiots, joke is on them now though.

Yeah if you are from anywhere outside London aka the countryside that means nobody has heard of any universities outside London and therefore will take any old degree from any old uni. My GP the other day studied English and French at some uni called Reading...I guess they do a lot of reading subjects there. But yeah, I need to go to London for my next check up since only respectable graduates get jobs there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CRIKEY12)
    Leeds isn't rural
    I never said Leeds was rural. What I meant was places outside of London might not have the same bias toward London universities.

ReputationRep:
    I never said Leeds was rural. What I meant was places outside of London might not have the same bias toward London universities.
    Sorry, long day - brain dodgy- what do you mean please? Why would there be a bias anyhow?

ReputationRep:
    Whoa. Seems like there's some pent-up anger on this thread. These are my opinions so don't know why I am being called a snob. How funny. Like I said before, UNFORTUNATELY a lot of employers take "prestige" and "perceived prestige" into consideration when choosing applicants for a job, either consciously or unconsciously. Obviously, rankings aren't everything, so get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CRIKEY12)
    Sorry, long day - brain dodgy- what do you mean please? Why would there be a bias anyhow?
    A lot of London employers would most likely prefer applicants from London universities since it is more likely those universities would be more well known to those employers.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the reputation in the field held by the lecturers in Geology.
    If they are in the areas you would like to study then pick accordingly.
    If for example you are into petrology, you wouldn't want to do a lot of seismology, or perhaps you would.
    Are the lecturers published and current.
    If there is nothing to choose between, choose the one you love.
    You will be there for 3/4years and if you hate living in urgban sprawl you will hate living in London. Leeds at least has the hills and moors on its doorstep.

ReputationRep:
    Oh and I meant to say enjoy it at wherever you go and worry about employment later. You need to be enthusiastic about your course, not stuck somewhere you hate because of the future

ReputationRep:
    I also think London is over rated

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.