The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Ucl firmers 2013 entry

Scroll to see replies

I've almost finished applying for accommodation but I don't know what kind of picture I'm supposed to upload? Should I scan my passport photo and upload that or just upload a selfie from my phone haha.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 221
Original post by Tahmid Haque
I've almost finished applying for accommodation but I don't know what kind of picture I'm supposed to upload? Should I scan my passport photo and upload that or just upload a selfie from my phone haha.

Hahaha! I'm having the exact same problem
Reply 222
I had this problem, I look like a serial killer in my passport photo so I took a passportesque photo of myself
1. English! :biggrin:
2. It was unconditional, I'm a gap year applicant :smile:
3. N/A
4. N/A
5. No but I'm from Hertfordshire (North of London) and I go to London pretty often so I feel like I know it quite well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone here got a place for Maths and Physics?

Sorry to gatecrash the uni forums :eek: but I was just curious; people who've got a place for Maths/Maths and Physics (insanely high requirements, ikr) - what grades did you get at AS?

If there's anyone around here with a place on the Maths course I'd appreciate it greatly if you could let me know. And also good luck to everyone on achieving your grades! Hoping to be in same position next year!

I'll now leave the university forums.. *leaves with tail between legs*

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'll probably do that as well tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Phew! I've now finished all of my exams (being a Scottish applicant), and now the only thing to do is sit back and wait for results day.

Now I'm not sure what's more agonizing - revising for history or facing months of torment over meeting those damn conditions while knowing I can't change anything now...
Reply 227
Hi guys / girls,
I am an international student, coming from Malaysia. This is my first time going to UK. I am a bit nervous haha and hopefully I can fit myself into UCL
1. Electrical and Electronic Engineering ( Int )
2. Unconditional
3. National University of Singapore ( Quite funny isn't it)
4. Got unconditional offer, so yeah haha
5. No, I'm a bit afraid since English is not my first language
Reply 228
Original post by vanessadixit
Hi, I'm also looking into changing courses. I've been advised to wait until I get there and ask to transfer within the first week. But I'd be transferring into a less competitive course, so for History you might want to transfer before then... perhaps a few days after results day when people may have missed their offers. :smile:

ahhh thanks!! nice to know that someone else is in the same situation!! what are you changing to/from if ya dont mind me asking?
Thanks for your advice!
Original post by poz140
ahhh thanks!! nice to know that someone else is in the same situation!! what are you changing to/from if ya dont mind me asking?
Thanks for your advice!

I'm hoping to change from Philosophy and French to either Philosophy and Greek or Ancient World. :smile: And it's okay, although I don't think I was that much help as I didn't give you a definite answer! But what are you thinking of doing? I'm desperate to change it but I'm scared that they'll take away my offer or something. :/
1. Mechanical Engineering ( Int )
2. AAA
3. University of Southampton
4. Alread achieved
5. No, but i have relatives there

I'm a international student from Malaysia. Anyone else applied for Mechanical engineering?
Reply 231
Original post by vanessadixit
I'm hoping to change from Philosophy and French to either Philosophy and Greek or Ancient World. :smile: And it's okay, although I don't think I was that much help as I didn't give you a definite answer! But what are you thinking of doing? I'm desperate to change it but I'm scared that they'll take away my offer or something. :/

Exactly the same with me!!! thats why i havent been pushing it further!! I'm also a bit worried that I wont get the A*AA that i need for history, so going to keep it as it is at the mo! When I get there I am going to try and change to history or ancient world like you:smile: I will just be happy to go though, so think I will leave it until september now! What about you? Also, have you done accomodation yet??
Original post by poz140
Exactly the same with me!!! thats why i havent been pushing it further!! I'm also a bit worried that I wont get the A*AA that i need for history, so going to keep it as it is at the mo! When I get there I am going to try and change to history or ancient world like you:smile: I will just be happy to go though, so think I will leave it until september now! What about you? Also, have you done accomodation yet??

Ok that's decided then, I'll wait till September too! Yay Ancient World! Luckily the requirement for that is lower than my offer now so it might be easier. I have applied for accommodation! I'm hoping to get a self-catered en-suite. :smile: You?
1. Chemical Engineering
2. AAB
3. UCL... ( applied there twice)
4. I hope so!!
5. No, I live in Hertfordshire so just north of London and I go there frequently.
Reply 234
1. BSc Economics (with year abroad)
2. IB - 39 points overall, 7 in HL Math, 6 in HL Econ, 19 points in HL's
3. Warwick
4. I hope so :smile:
5. Nope

I'm from Canada and I haven't visited London before :smile:
Reply 235
1. LLB Law
2. A*AA
3. University of Manchester
4. I hope so! Targeting that A* from Economics and the other 2 As shouldn't be a big problem.
5. Nope! I'm from Malaysia.

Any other fellow law applicants around here?
Reply 236
1. Biomed
2. French baccalaureate - 15 overall, 15 in physics/chemistry and 15 in biology
3. Durham
4. Definitely hope so!
5. Lived in London when I was 6-11 so I'm really looking forwards to coming back :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lebron_23
Anyone here got a place for Maths and Physics?

Sorry to gatecrash the uni forums :eek: but I was just curious; people who've got a place for Maths/Maths and Physics (insanely high requirements, ikr) - what grades did you get at AS?

If there's anyone around here with a place on the Maths course I'd appreciate it greatly if you could let me know. And also good luck to everyone on achieving your grades! Hoping to be in same position next year!

I'll now leave the university forums.. *leaves with tail between legs*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yo!

I've got a standard maths offer for entry this september. It's A*A*A or A*AA and a 1 in any STEP paper or distinction in AEA. This is a pretty crazy offer, but us maths students are in fierce competition I guess!

At AS I got an A* in full Maths standard A Level, an A in Physics and a A in Theatre Studies (different, I know). This year I'm doing the full Further Maths A level, and completing both A2s in Physics and Theatre Studies.

I also had to provide my UMS scores for my maths modules to UCL when I applied, any questions, just ask!
Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•
Yo!

I've got a standard maths offer for entry this september. It's A*A*A or A*AA and a 1 in any STEP paper or distinction in AEA. This is a pretty crazy offer, but us maths students are in fierce competition I guess!

At AS I got an A* in full Maths standard A Level, an A in Physics and a A in Theatre Studies (different, I know). This year I'm doing the full Further Maths A level, and completing both A2s in Physics and Theatre Studies.

I also had to provide my UMS scores for my maths modules to UCL when I applied, any questions, just ask!

Congrats on your offer, that's great! :P

Just a quick question; you said hey asked for your ums marks in your modules. Did they specify that they were looking for high ums or anything in particular?

And also, I'm slightly worried because one of my maths exams went horribly wrong two weeks back (I wasn't feeling too good) and I'm almost certain that it's going to bring my further maths grade down to a B. so with that in mind, I'm set to get 2 A's (maths and physics) and 2 B's (f maths and chemistry) which is quite disappointing if I'm honest.

In terms of ums, my average (excluding d1 which would be around 40 odd) is 85/86 which isn't great but isn't too bad either. What were your marks like, if you don't mind me asking of course, and do you think I'll still be in with a shot at UCL next year or is it worth taking a gap year? I say gap year because I can almost guarantee maths and further maths A* at the end of next year, but I'm afraid my grades won't reflect that.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me and id really appreciate some feedback and any general sort of help.

Thank you! And sorry for going on a bit.. :colondollar:
Original post by lebron_23
Congrats on your offer, that's great! :P

Just a quick question; you said hey asked for your ums marks in your modules. Did they specify that they were looking for high ums or anything in particular?

And also, I'm slightly worried because one of my maths exams went horribly wrong two weeks back (I wasn't feeling too good) and I'm almost certain that it's going to bring my further maths grade down to a B. so with that in mind, I'm set to get 2 A's (maths and physics) and 2 B's (f maths and chemistry) which is quite disappointing if I'm honest.

In terms of ums, my average (excluding d1 which would be around 40 odd) is 85/86 which isn't great but isn't too bad either. What were your marks like, if you don't mind me asking of course, and do you think I'll still be in with a shot at UCL next year or is it worth taking a gap year? I say gap year because I can almost guarantee maths and further maths A* at the end of next year, but I'm afraid my grades won't reflect that.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me and id really appreciate some feedback and any general sort of help.

Thank you! And sorry for going on a bit.. :colondollar:

They didn't specify anything at all, they just asked me to and I did! I think They will be looking for high UMS average, but luckily for you probably aren't too concerned about decision modules, more about the harder core modules and mechanics. Also, remember that this isn't the only factor, they will look at everything, they just use the UMS as an extra indicator for a good candidate.

In terms of the Further Maths being a B, it could be a problem, but depends on your other modules if it's just the one that let you down. Also, you don't know if it definitely has gone terrible yet, so don't give up!

Was D1 the module you think you have messed up in? And are you just guessing your average based on the exams you've done? My UMS was:

C1- 100 C2- 87 C3- 98 C4- 97 S1-97 M1-100

Which I understand is very high, but I have to stress it's not JUST the UMS that they look for. For example, my other two subject UMS' weren't as good. Also, my GCSEs, though good, wont have been as fantastic as a lot of people applying to UCL..

I think it's a bit early to consider a gap year just yet, you haven't got your results back yet! And also, there's no harm in trying and seeing what happens. They might just make you the (high) offer and leave it to you to achieve it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending