Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Letting go - and realising nobody wants you Watch

Anon or delete please.

It is all very well and good to say 'move on', 'life goes on', 'people move on' etc, but I have always found it difficult to do that.

Recently I left work, and am now unemployed. Yet I became rather close to a guy in the last few months or so of being at the workplace.

The guy is a little younger than me, so I guess we cannot really have any mutual friends, but we get on well together anyway, I think.

However, although I try to message that person on Facebook every now and then, it doesn't ever seem as though he has the same level of interest as me. It seems as though it is a one way friendship, and he has already moved on.

I find that hard to accept as I he was my only hope of having a friend anyway.

Now I am all alone, and this upsets me.

Should I continue the FB messages which effectively try to force him to talk to me (thus lessening my loneliness), or shall I just try to give up and move on?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's better for you to move on. A "forced friendship" will never make you happy. What kind of interests do you have? Try to find clubs for them, you're bound to make friends there who share similar interests.

Also, don't forget that your family will probably be the best friends you'll ever have, so try doing things with them too!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, move on. And be quick about it, because this will turn into something like an addiction soon and you'll only feel embarassed and regret it when you look back.
    Just let go. If he has even the inkling of interest he'll try to talk to you again, maybe not within a day, perhaps he'll take a month or five, but you shouldn't base your life on it. If he tries to talk, reply and see where it goes. But for now focus on other things like work. You sound like a good person, but perhaps a bit shy? Just let it out, and you'll find friends. You won't even remember this guy in a few months time.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 9, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.