Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I have received offers from UCL maths and UCL stats, and still waiting for Imperial maths. I know that they are quite different and I would like to ask:

1. How is the workload in UCL maths/UCL stats?
    2. The difficulties of both courses
    3. Reputation, I personally think that UCL has a decent international reputation, however, in terms of maths, COWI are the best. How about in terms of statistics?

Frankly speaking, I would declare I am not the one who is very top in maths (Although I obtained 2A* in maths and further maths, you know, there are lots of people better than me (for example, getting S in STEP), I am not showing off.) and this is the reason why I apply for statistics too. Also, sometimes I am lack of confidence in maths......... I am not even sure am I suitable to read maths at university or not......

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a5a09)
    Hi everyone!

I have received offers from UCL maths and UCL stats, and still waiting for Imperial maths. I know that they are quite different and I would like to ask:

1. How is the workload in UCL maths/UCL stats?
    2. The difficulties of both courses
    3. Reputation, I personally think that UCL has a decent international reputation, however, in terms of maths, COWI are the best. How about in terms of statistics?

Frankly speaking, I would declare I am not the one who is very top in maths (Although I obtained 2A* in maths and further maths, you know, there are lots of people better than me (for example, getting S in STEP), I am not showing off.) and this is the reason why I apply for statistics too. Also, sometimes I am lack of confidence in maths......... I am not even sure am I suitable to read maths at university or not......

Thank you.
    The percentage getting S in STEP (depending on which paper) varies between 5 and 15%.

Getting a 1 is considered great so why not have a go and see what you can get?

It really depends if you got your A* first time or multiple resits. If it's the former, you should have no trouble at UCL, although they are asking for STEP, as do Cambridge, Warwick and Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    I study at Warwick, and honestly there is only a handful of people who scored S in any STEP paper. I only know of one person who did personally, but it isn't really something I ask people much. I scored 1,2 in I and II and I did fairly well in my Jan exams with firsts. All of the people on TSR who seem intimidating, don't worry about them, most of them do end up going to Oxbridge, and they really are generally the top cohort of maths students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caveman123)
    The percentage getting S in STEP (depending on which paper) varies between 5 and 15%.

Getting a 1 is considered great so why not have a go and see what you can get?

It really depends if you got your A* first time or multiple resits. If it's the former, you should have no trouble at UCL, although they are asking for STEP, as do Cambridge, Warwick and Imperial.
    That is a good idea!

I got my A* in double maths without any resits. Why would you think I won't get any troubles because of that?

I am now reading "A concise introduction to pure mathematics" and I think the question on there are quite difficult......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a5a09)
    That is a good idea!

I got my A* in double maths without any resits. Why would you think I won't get any troubles because of that?

I am now reading "A concise introduction to pure mathematics" and I think the question on there are quite difficult......
    Because not many would have got that at UCL.

As for the book, it's by a lecturer at Imperial and exposes you to uni pure maths, not something you've seen much at school (not even if you did STEP), unless you've done Group Theory.

If it's easy for you, you're cut out for pure maths. If not, all's not lost as pure maths is "weird" for most peole making the transition from school to uni maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fGDu)
    I study at Warwick, and honestly there is only a handful of people who scored S in any STEP paper. I only know of one person who did personally, but it isn't really something I ask people much. I scored 1,2 in I and II and I did fairly well in my Jan exams with firsts. All of the people on TSR who seem intimidating, don't worry about them, most of them do end up going to Oxbridge, and they really are generally the top cohort of maths students.
    Thanks for your reply.

Do you think that A level maths and further maths are much more easier compared to STEP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caveman123)
    Because not many would have got that at UCL.

As for the book, it's by a lecturer at Imperial and exposes you to uni pure maths, not something you've seen much at school (not even if you did STEP), unless you've done Group Theory.

If it's easy for you, you're cut out for pure maths. If not, all's not lost as pure maths is "weird" for most peole making the transition from school to uni maths.
    Thanks for your reply.

I thought most people doing maths at top unis got double A* in maths and further maths without resits :eek:

It seems that I need to pay more attention on reading that book. At first I just read it for fun and found out that it's not as easy as I thought.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a5a09)
    Thanks for your reply.

Do you think that A level maths and further maths are much more easier compared to STEP?
    Yes I would say that they are, though getting a level 2 in STEP is reasonable for people who can comfortably get an A* in further, and are doing harder modules.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.