Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if my boyfriend can get JSA if we live together and I am a student?
    I have read some mixed opinions. Basically some people say that he would not be able to apply for one because I get Maintenance grant and loan as well, and that should be enough for both of us but it actually isn't!
    He IS looking for a job but ... as you can imagine he's not much successful atm.
    So any advice?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    He should apply... If he can't get it, then he won't be any worse off than before... i'd of thought he can get it cos your loan isn't 'income' but I don't know.

Also, I heard that for the first 6 months of a claim, you are treated as an individual regardless of your partners income... but i'm not sure if that's true!

ReputationRep:
    i don't think uni is related ...i get a student loan and also claim. I think the rate is higher for couples and like someone else said....you have nothing to lose so go for it

ReputationRep:
    Student loan is taken as income (not sure about grant but I think it is!) and if you live together you have to make a joint claim and your income will be taken into consideration when deciding if he qualifies/how much. This is only for income based JSA though I may add, if he's worked before he might qualify for contribution based.

I was in the same situation at the beginning of September and my boyfriend was unemployed for 2 months and I get the minimum loan. There's definitely no harm in applying but be prepared for rejection or less than the full amount of JSA as your loan/grant may be too much. Though I agree entirely that it's not enough money and they should help. My loan amounts to £297 per month roughly and JSA only gave us an extra £200 per month when rent alone is £525 let alone bills and food.

Hope it works out for you!

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Grant (not the special support grant) and loan are taken into account. There are some disregards though. (money that's ignored)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    OP, as your household income is less than £16k then yes he can.

(Original post by Coffeegirl)
    i don't think uni is related ...i get a student loan and also claim. I think the rate is higher for couples and like someone else said....you have nothing to lose so go for it
    Ha, what your doing is actually illegal (benefit fraud).

Your not aloud JSA until the day you leave uni.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)

This is completely wrong:
    There's nothing about household income being less than £16k. It depends on your situation.

Some groups of people can claim JSA over the summer.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    This is completely wrong:
    There's nothing about household income being less than £16k. It depends on your situation.

Some groups of people can claim JSA over the summer.
    When you apply for JSA one of the requirements is household income and it appears that £!6k is the cut-off.

Well i'm poorer than poor and when i requested it i was told that that i cannot because of full time education.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    When you apply for JSA one of the requirements is household income and it appears that £!6k is the cut-off.
    No it's not. The cut-off depends on your situation. If you have savings over 16k, you can't get any income based JSA. If you have money coming in, it's much lower.

ReputationRep:

I'm doing my university studies through the open university which is classified as part time studies even though I am doing the equivalent of a years studies.

My job center knows about this and different rules apply to OU students

ReputationRep:
    Hm, Thanks everyone. I might go and check in our local job centre just to be sure, because there is no point in applying when I know our application will be rejected.

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ani45)
    Does anybody know if my boyfriend can get JSA if we live together and I am a student?
    I have read some mixed opinions. Basically some people say that he would not be able to apply for one because I get Maintenance grant and loan as well, and that should be enough for both of us but it actually isn't!
    He IS looking for a job but ... as you can imagine he's not much successful atm. [...]
    If you are a full-time student your income will push your partner over the threshold for income-assessed Jobseeker's Allowance. This means he is dependent upon you for his income. This means you are eligible for extra funding (adult dependants grant). Your boyfriend could claim council tax benefit and potentially some housing benefit for you both too, depending where you live and what your Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is.

The alternative is he denies you are a couple and applies for income-assessed JSA as if he were living with a friend or lodger, which I think would be the best thing all round as it means he would get income faster and you would not have to be reassessed during the year. You might also be eligible for council tax and housing benefit.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    The alternative is he denies you are a couple and applies for income-assessed JSA as if he were living with a friend or lodger, which I think would be the best thing all round as it means he would get income faster and you would not have to be reassessed during the year. You might also be eligible for council tax and housing benefit.
    This is fraud. The OP would be exempt from council tax and if she didn't live with her boyfriend, wouldn't receive any housing benefit, unless she's disabled or a parent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    If you are a full-time student your income will push your partner over the threshold for income-assessed Jobseeker's Allowance. This means he is dependent upon you for his income. This means you are eligible for extra funding (adult dependants grant). Your boyfriend could claim council tax benefit and potentially some housing benefit for you both too, depending where you live and what your Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is.

I just checked this Adult dependants grant and he cant apply for one because I need to be over 25. And I am 20.

As for the JSA - I dont really want to lie to them. I am scared they will find out hah.

Anyway, I guess we dont have lots of options.. I just started looking for a part time job as well .. Hopefully, one of us will find something SOON :P

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ani45)
    He IS looking for a job but ... as you can imagine he's not much successful atm.
    So any advice?

I’m in the same boat has you but i was the student but dropped out because my maintenance loan was just not covering all my bills and rent. My travel was costing me £30/40 a week.

I am currently going through the process of jsa but have been declined twice now. My partner works part time at 9-14 hours on m/w with a 3 year old son. My student loan was stopped just before i got my last term grant. The job center has said i am still an active student ad can’t look for a job even thou i left study and confirmed as interruption to studies. The lady (who didn’t seem to care) said if you come out a job with no reason you can’t claim jsa and that the same as a student. You have no real reason to stop studying even thou I couldn’t afford to get there. I am in a very bad way financially with no income at all I have sent in my student document and the new alteration with the Aprils term grant not on the document so the job center can see I have no money but still decline me I need some advice where to turn too.:confused::confused::confused:

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.