Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've recently been accepted into Glasgow Uni to do aeronautical engineering an I think I'm about to firm it (over physics).

I know it's early but I want to know how well graduates of aero engineering, or any relatable engineering, do when they graduate. That being length of time unemployed, starting salary, type of company, graduate degree (I.e. 2:1 or 2:2) and any other general comments.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    go to unistats, google it, or use the which? university guide

ReputationRep:
    I've heard generally positive things. It depends on the uni, but a good ~75% of students find work or go into extra education in those first 6 months and many more get a job within 12 months. My university, through UniStats, says 96% of students went onto do work or further study. 37% do solely work, 45% do solely study.

A 2:1 or above is ideal, especially for placements. If you go on a placement, you'll have a far better chance of finding work (they might even offer you a job) and it can mean a bit more money too. My university reckons going on a placement can, on average, increase your overall grade by one notch. Placements, etc, for 2:2 or Third students do exist, but they're a lot rarer for those with lower grades. A 2:1 or First is obviously great to have.

Average salary for a BEng graduate seems to be in the £22-£26k region. It depends on the company and their perks. Some will offer a further £2k or so for those with a postgraduate (MEng/MSc) degree too.

The type of company will be which ever you apply to. The general "mechanics" based degrees are largely interchangeable, so despite doing aeronautical, you could work in a mechanical engineering role, a space/aerospace role, aeronautics, vehicles, sports cars, etc. General planes, trains and automobiles. You might be able to design a few satellites or ships if you wanted.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.