kevindorward
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Struggling as most aspiring students do to make the correct decision when it comes to choosing the university that suits them.
Bit of background, i'm 25, live in Dundee at present and have applied to Dundee, Dundee Abertay, Heriot-Watt, Aberdeen & Strathclyde universities to continue on from my HNC in Civil Engineering.
I've stayed here all my days and would describe myself as a typical jack the lad from the streets. Was never really too interested in education in school and left to study catering at a high level. Cooked for the Queen, Jack McConnell, had a 6 month work trial at Gordon Ramsays in Chelsea to name a few but after having a daughter it was rubbish pay & crap hours even though it was a love i ended up on a career change.
Trying to fit back into student life and work hard whilst all my mates are out everynight getting smashed or getting lifted, i just feel i need a change and want to move away and meet some new people etc.
So i have an conditional for both Heriot-Watt & Abertay & an un-conditional for Aberdeen. I know what the general life is like in Dundee & to an extent aberdeen as i have friends up there.
But i keep hearing bad storied about the HW campus on here including

Dated facilities
Dated dorms
Predominantly male population (pretty important to have some decent girls on campus)
Situated too far outside the city centre
More of a work really bloody hard, dont play too hard at all attitude
Small Union

I always keep my options open and won't pre-judge anything for myself until i attend their open day. Just wondered if anyone who has been, is currently there would like to shed some light on their feelings regarding the overall life, nightlife etc.

Love, Peace & Chicken Grease
CalDem
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, man! Congrats on the offers.
Im from Glasgow originally but I now flat-share in Edinburgh with two HW students. I've got an unconditional for HW and will definatly be going.

Dated facilities
Most of the current campus was built between the sixties to nineties but I'd say it's ben well-maintained

Dated dorms

This is true for the older halls but they've just constructed two new buildings and are demolishing the older ones

Predominantly male population
I think it's rather well-balenced male/female

Situated too far outside the city centre
The campus is in Ricarton which is on the western-most edge of the city, but it has a fair amount of parking spaces and buses come regularly 24hrs a day(No. 25, 35 & 45) I live fairly close to the city centre and I can grab a 25 to HW in 20/25mins. Buses don't really get caught in traffic in Edinburgh because of the tonne of bus lanes.

More of a work really bloody hard, dont play too hard at all attitude

Of course it'll be hard work, but you want it to be - thats what gives you degree some meaning. But saying that, my flat mates and I get smashed a few times a week.

Small Union
It's relativly small but the nightlife in the city centre more than makes up for this. Most bars and clubs will have student deals. If you join one of HW many Clubs or Societies, you'll have a sponsored bar with even more discounts.
gnomers92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I was in halls at Heriot-Watt when I was in first year and it was brilliant being a campus university because you got to know so many people across all the halls really easy and it was so easy to go and visit them. Although by ratio it is about 60% guys, you don't notice it at all, especially on Sports Union nights out when I'd say girls definitely outnumber guys! Although the buildings all still look old-fashioned brown on the outside (they have to as part of the heritage rules or something) a lot of it has been done up inside and so looks pretty good, such as the lecture theatres and canteen. The night life is really good in Edinburgh and easily accessible and the student union is there if you just want some food or drinks with a few mates. And if you're into sport, the Sports Union has a brilliant social calendar throughout the year. I've absolutely loved being at Heriot-Watt personally, absolutely no regrets over the past 3 years about turning down RGU, Aberdeen, Edinburgh or Glasgow to go there!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Edinburgh Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 8 Nov '19

What's your favourite genre?