Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    How do you partially integrate the following with respect to x?

(1/x)*ln(xe^y) dx

I used integration by parts to get:

ln(xe^y)lnx - ((lnxe^y)^2)/2) + c

But apparently the answer is just ((lnxe^y)^2)/2) + c?

how does the ln(xe^y)lnx cancel out?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Well one thought is that \ln x e^y = \ln x + \ln e^y= \ln x +y BTW, my answer is nothing like yours either, have I written the Q out incorrectly.? Here it is in tex \int \frac{ln(xe^y)}{x}\;dx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zomgleh)
    You don't need partial integration, the integrand is already in the form y'y. Anyway, you made a mistake when differentiating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zomgleh)
    How do you partially integrate the following with respect to x?

(1/x)*ln(xe^y) dx

I used integration by parts to get:

ln(xe^y)lnx - ((lnxe^y)^2)/2) + c

But apparently the answer is just ((lnxe^y)^2)/2) + c?

how does the ln(xe^y)lnx cancel out?

thanks
    \int \frac{1}{x}ln(xe^y) dx=\int e^y\frac{1}{xe^y}ln(xe^y) dx=
    =\frac{ln^2(xe^y)}{2}+C
    using
    \frac{dln(ax)}{dx}=\frac{1}{ax}a
    and so
    \int f'(x)\frac{1}{f(x)}ln[f(x)] dx=\frac{ln^2(f(x))}{2}+C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord of the Flies)
    You don't need partial integration, ...
    Can you expand on that? The integral would be +f(y) rather than +C with p.i. I don't understand why you said "you don't need PI" surely that is merely irrelevant to the integration but the "answer" in the case of pi requires +f(y), so he does "need" it in the context of the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerak99)
    Can you expand on that? The integral would be +f(y) rather than +C with p.i. I don't understand why you said "you don't need PI" surely that is merely irrelevant to the integration but the "answer" in the case of pi requires +f(y), so he does "need" it in the context of the question.
    Not sure what what you're talking about, I merely pointed out that there is no need to partially integrate by noticing that:

\displaystyle\int \frac{\ln x e^y}{x}\,dx=\int \ln xe^y d\ln xe^y

ReputationRep:
    I think I know whats going on here, the OP meant integrate "partially", i.e partial integration where x and y may both be functions of another variable, not by parts. Consequently, at the end, instead of adding C we have to add f(y).

I think you just meant that he doesn't have to use integration by parts. I think the problem is a bit artificial in the sens that it was constructed from a partial differentiation and then not simplified in order to create the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerak99)
    I think I know whats going on here, the OP meant integrate "partially", i.e partial integration where x and y may both be functions of another variable, not by parts. Consequently, at the end, instead of adding C we have to add f(y).
    I have always seen the term partial integration as meaning integration by parts, and Google seems to agree - but perhaps it can also refer to what you mention. However, given that the OP said "the answer is ln(xe^y)^2/2 + C", and that they also used the term "by parts", I assume they meant integration by parts.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all your inputs, found the answer so thought of sharing it--

break it down into (1/x lnx + y/x) and integrate with respect to x.

and I meant partial integration, as in treat the y (and any other variable) as a constant, which is not to be confused with integrating by parts (which is something I used to integrate the function without simplifying it)

cheers

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.