Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I was doing a foundation year at university and I just got kicked off the course for not achieving a high enough percentage in my semester one results.

Is there anything I can do about this? Any kind of appeal or anything? They wouldn't allow me to do any resits.

I'm ****ed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllUnits)
    I was doing a foundation year at university and I just got kicked off the course for not achieving a high enough percentage in my semester one results.

Is there anything I can do about this? Any kind of appeal or anything? They wouldn't allow me to do any resits.

I'm ****ed.
    There will be an appeals process

Speak to someone in your union about it

ReputationRep:
    what course were u doing?

ReputationRep:

I'm ****ed.
    appeal would be the best way forward!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    There will be an appeals process

Speak to someone in your union about it
    Do you mean like the students union?

(Original post by rizzl8)
    appeal would be the best way forward!
    Thanks. I don't know what I'm appealing against though. I just did poor in the exams - how can I appeal against their decision there?

(Original post by penguinsrcool)
    what course were u doing?
    Physical science and engineering foundation course at Manchester University.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    As its a foundation course there is probably little you can do. Its pretty standard practice to kick people who can't cope with the first semester out, as it only gets harder.

ReputationRep:

Thanks. I don't know what I'm appealing against though. I just did poor in the exams - how can I appeal against their decision there?

Physical science and engineering foundation course at Manchester University.
    Yes, go to the SU. This is the link to the page, so you can go from there http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/t...cademic-advice

Unfortunately I have heard of people being kicked off that course more than others, so I don't know how far you'll get, especially as there's quite a high pass mark from what I've heard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Yes, go to the SU. This is the link to the page, so you can go from there http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/t...cademic-advice

Unfortunately I have heard of people being kicked off that course more than others, so I don't know how far you'll get, especially as there's quite a high pass mark from what I've heard
    Thanks.

Yeah. I needed like 70% or something crazy like that.

Can I just wander in at any time?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

Yeah. I needed like 70% or something crazy like that.

Can I just wander in at any time?
    If you click on the 'contact an adviser' bit on that link I gave you, it gives you all the details http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/t...act-an-advisor

ReputationRep:
    If you click on the 'contact an adviser' bit on that link I gave you, it gives you all the details http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/t...act-an-advisor
    I did as you recommended and they said I didn't really have "any real grounds to appeal on". Guess I should have just lied and said that someone in my family had just died or something.

Any other pointers? Can I reapply to Manchester and will they reconsider me on fair grounds?

ReputationRep:
    you must do for appeal

ReputationRep:

I'm ****ed.
    Be honest, did you revise as much as you should? I'm doing a foundation degree this September and I'm worried if it's really hard.

ReputationRep:
    I did as you recommended and they said I didn't really have "any real grounds to appeal on". Guess I should have just lied and said that someone in my family had just died or something.

Any other pointers? Can I reapply to Manchester and will they reconsider me on fair grounds?
    They would have asked for documentary proof of the death. You can still appeal, but it's unlikely to be fruitful from what the SU have said.

You could reapply, and they would reconsider you on fair grounds, but 'fair grounds' will include the fact that you failed foundation year. If they didn't let you resit the year, then I can't see them giving you an offer, unfortunately.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willbean)
    Be honest, did you revise as much as you should? I'm doing a foundation degree this September and I'm worried if it's really hard.
    I'm seriously going to suggest you find an alternative. The course is mostly unnecessary, poorly taught in the most run down parts of the university, unfairly examined with exams each week and the tutorial groups are huge. Groups at most of my friends universities are like 5-10 people. In my chemistry tutorial at Manchester, it was about 70 people roughly at one stage.

Speaking with acquaintances that are still on the course that are in the process of taking the final exams now, they've said there has been more than one mistake on every paper so far and that lots of people have dropped out, which makes me even more angry about being kicked out. At least I wanted to be there.

They would have asked for documentary proof of the death. You can still appeal, but it's unlikely to be fruitful from what the SU have said.

You could reapply, and they would reconsider you on fair grounds, but 'fair grounds' will include the fact that you failed foundation year. If they didn't let you resit the year, then I can't see them giving you an offer, unfortunately.
    To be honest, I never asked if I could resit. I have no intention of being on that course again. It was a joke. I actually feel scammed. If this was any other situation I would have rights and laws to protect me from just being made redundant, for example. Because this is labeled as education though they can get away with pulling this kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm seriously going to suggest you find an alternative. The course is mostly unnecessary, poorly taught in the most run down parts of the university, unfairly examined with exams each week and the tutorial groups are huge. Groups at most of my friends universities are like 5-10 people. In my chemistry tutorial at Manchester, it was about 70 people roughly at one stage.

Speaking with acquaintances that are still on the course that are in the process of taking the final exams now, they've said there has been more than one mistake on every paper so far and that lots of people have dropped out, which makes me even more angry about being kicked out. At least I wanted to be there.

To be honest, I never asked if I could resit. I have no intention of being on that course again. It was a joke. I actually feel scammed. If this was any other situation I would have rights and laws to protect me from just being made redundant, for example. Because this is labeled as education though they can get away with pulling this kind of thing.
    The quality of the course is, of course, your opinion. I have close friends who have been on the exact same course and have never voiced any concerns about the course with me. They recognised it for what it was: a chance to get onto a course that they never could have got onto otherwise given their A Level grades. And they grabbed that chance with both hands.

If you were in employment then you could be sacked for underperformance too. This isn't a situation that is analogous to redundancy at all.

ReputationRep:
    The quality of the course is, of course, your opinion. I have close friends who have been on the exact same course and have never voiced any concerns about the course with me. They recognised it for what it was: a chance to get onto a course that they never could have got onto otherwise given their A Level grades. And they grabbed that chance with both hands.

If you were in employment then you could be sacked for underperformance too. This isn't a situation that is analogous to redundancy at all.
    You are very right and it may seem that I'm blowing this out of proportion, however other students on the course have created a public Facebook group in order to discuss the course and the issues on it. I've screen capped just one of the many complaints submitted there. As you can see, the general opinion is pretty negative.

You are right about the job thing of course. I didn't consider that. I've never been fired before whilst have had family members that have become redundant recently so it was fresh in my mind, so to speak.

However, being told that "resits aren't a right" from the head of the course, being removed from the university, removed from the university accommodation I was living in without having anywhere else to move into (I gave up my flat to come and study) all within a couple of hours. I was actually laughing with shock it was so ridiculous.

Surely though, it would have been more profitable for their business like institution to keep me on until the end of the year, get my full £9000 and then refuse me full entry? That's the only bit that's confusing me.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.