Turn on thread page Beta

Depression watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iluvatar)
    But councellors are really fun to wind up, by being not quite insiteful enough for them to pick up on anything meaningful.
    It makes you feel alot better to wind them up!
    Or is it just me?
    i tend to think one has failed in life the day one feels the need to visit a counsellor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kurdt Morello)
    i tend to think one has failed in life the day one feels the need to visit a counsellor
    Why is that?
    Why is having the confidence to talk to someone and reach out for help failure?
    Surely its better than living the rest of your life with problems, or killing yourself or stuff.

ReputationRep:
    no it just mean that they are able to face up to the fact that they have a problem unlike some. repressing the fact that you need help only makes it worse, you have only failed when you fail to recognise that you need help, and fail to admit it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mad kuri)
    no it just mean that they are able to face up to the fact that they have a problem unlike some. repressing the fact that you need help only makes it worse, you have only failed when you fail to recognise that you need help, and fail to admit it.
    maybe i am just lucky that i have parents that i feel i can talk to about everything

ReputationRep:
    Why is that?
    Why is having the confidence to talk to someone and reach out for help failure?
    Surely its better than living the rest of your life with problems, or killing yourself or stuff.
    one should be strong enough to deal with their problems - i was 'depressed' last year in a sense - exams were a drag - but i got through it and i am happy now

ReputationRep:
    maybe i am just lucky that i have parents that i feel i can talk to about everything
    To be honest, thats rather an unnatural thing, that there aren't things you don't want to talk about with your parents.
    But i suppose i'm too far of the edge at the other end of the scale.
    I'm happy not to talk to my parents about anything.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, thats rather an unnatural thing, that there aren't things you don't want to talk about with your parents.
    But i suppose i'm too far of the edge at the other end of the scale.
    I'm happy not to talk to my parents about anything.
    same here. i find friends a better alternative, same age group, no limitations as to how far you can go into depth.

ReputationRep:
    one should be strong enough to deal with their problems - i was 'depressed' last year in a sense - exams were a drag - but i got through it and i am happy now
    A rather solitary life though. Not ever asking for help. Not opening up weaknesses to others.
    But maybe its just that i think that people are important in my life.

ReputationRep:
    **** you you ignorant ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    you dont beat round the bush do you?!

ReputationRep:
    A great, in depth response there.
    I can totally see the complex reasoning involved in your argument. (is that use of totally rather... second rate american teen TV show?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mad kuri)
    same here. i find friends a better alternative, same age group, no limitations as to how far you can go into depth.
    Well, there are limits, but they are usually self imposed from the nature of the friendship.
    But i get your point, and agree to some extent, although if people think you've got lots of problems, they do tend to avoid you (which i can sadly say from experience).
    Talking to total strangers has always been good for me, although thats usually after too much alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but such a condescending arrogant reply to a topic about which he clearly has no idea warrants no greater eloquence of expression

ReputationRep:
    :confused: Woah, where did that come from? 'Calm down, calm down'!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but such a condescending arrogant reply to a topic about which he clearly has no idea warrants no greater eloquence of expression
    But, you are bringing your own point of view into a negative light by using personal insults, rather than discussing the topic.

ReputationRep:
    I tend to agree. Not that long ago people spent four years engaged in trench warfare standing up to their knees in ****.There wasn't any counselling on their return.

Now I'm not saying this was right. It is an extreme example. However, nowadays it seems some folks can't even take an exam without having nervous breakdown.

That's one of the reason the country is falling apart. It's a decadent country populated by a soft as shite society.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking that maybe I should try counselling, but it will be hard because I'm normally the type of person who helps evrybody with their problems, rather than talking about my own.
    But then, saying that, maybe trying to be strong has played a part in everything. Maybe I should've asked for help ages ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I tend to agree. Not that long ago people spent four years engaged in trench warfare standing up to their knees in ****.There wasn't any counselling on their return.

Now I'm not saying this was right. It is an extreme example. However, nowadays it seems some folks can't even take an exam without having nervous breakdown.

That's one of the reason the country is falling apart. It's a decadent country populated by a soft as shite society.
    have you read the rest of the thread ? Please do. We are not talking about exam nerves here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annika17)
    I'm thinking that maybe I should try counselling, but it will be hard because I'm normally the type of person who helps evrybody with their problems, rather than talking about my own.
    But then, saying that, maybe trying to be strong has played a part in everything. Maybe I should've asked for help ages ago.
    if you think you need help then ask for it. dont be ashamed, forget what everyone else thinks, they're not going through the same thing as you. just do what you feel is right, if you feel you'll benefit from counselling, then go for it. forget everyone else, they'll just hold you back by putting doubts in you rmind an dgiving you more to think about. the first reaction is normally always the best. just go with it.

ReputationRep:
    But, you are bringing your own point of view into a negative light by using personal insults, rather than discussing the topic.
    You are a greater man than I. I salute you.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.