Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chosing firm and insurance before visiting uni, bad move? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have not yet visited the two uni's I want to put down as my firm and insurance (Sunderland as firm, Newport as insurance) but I am pretty sure I have already made up my mind. I want to put down Sunderland as my first choice as soon as possible, so I can get the accommodation sorted out and make sure I get it in the halls I want. I won't be visiting Sunderland until very late this month, I don't know if I can wait that long. I live in London, so travelling up to Sunderland would be quite expensive (about 50 pounds) as it would also be to travel to Newport in Wales. Should I just firm it tonight and apply for my accommodation? I know it sounds silly, but I've looked at lots of videos online, and gone on street view, and I feel like I would definetly prefer Sunderland. What should I do? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pricey26)
    I would definitely wait until you have seen it; you might hate one.
    Ps, I used to live in Newport, so any questions, message me
    Or you might fall in love with one, too! I suggest that you visit them.

ReputationRep:
    Visit!

You will spend the next 3+ years of your life there, so make sure it's the right place. Videos, maps, pictures, talking to people is all very well, but you can't really get a sense of the atmosphere and ambience from behind a computer. I fell in love with KCL when I was researching unis, but hated it when I visited.

If you're worried about finances, try megabus. However it would be much more expensive to enrol and hate it, than to spend a day looking round.

ReputationRep:
    Agree that visiting is the best thing to do - you *are* going to spend 3 years of your life there. You dont have to go to a formal Open Day, you can just walk around the campus and the town/city to get a feel of the place on an ordinary working day - you dont need student id to do this, although obviously there will be place you cant get into as a non-student.

Look at cheap coach deals. You dont want to arrive in October with all sorts of dreams and expectations only to think 'what on earth have I done .... this is awful'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pricey26)
    I would definitely wait until you have seen it; you might hate one.
    Ps, I used to live in Newport, so any questions, message me
    thanks for the advice and thanks, yep I will do if I have any questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Egos)
    Or you might fall in love with one, too! I suggest that you visit them.
    thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnome :))
    Visit!

You will spend the next 3+ years of your life there, so make sure it's the right place. Videos, maps, pictures, talking to people is all very well, but you can't really get a sense of the atmosphere and ambience from behind a computer. I fell in love with KCL when I was researching unis, but hated it when I visited.

If you're worried about finances, try megabus. However it would be much more expensive to enrol and hate it, than to spend a day looking round.
    Very good point yes I will definetly try to visit both before making up my mind. I'll be going to Sunderland at the end of March, and there's an open day for Newport then too, so after that I think I'll have a clearer idea about everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    Agree that visiting is the best thing to do - you *are* going to spend 3 years of your life there. You dont have to go to a formal Open Day, you can just walk around the campus and the town/city to get a feel of the place on an ordinary working day - you dont need student id to do this, although obviously there will be place you cant get into as a non-student.

Look at cheap coach deals. You dont want to arrive in October with all sorts of dreams and expectations only to think 'what on earth have I done .... this is awful'.
    thanks for the advice yep I definetly think I will need to visit first before making up my mind. But it'll have to be train as it'd be about 7 hours from down here in London

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.