Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Which is best? To those of you who had a shared bathroom at uni, what was it like? Did you wish you had chosen to have an en suite instead? Or where you pleasantly surprised by how easy you found it to share your bathroom?
    Any stories appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I had an en suite, and I promise you it's so much better.. Heard horrible stories about en suites tbh.. If you end up sharing its not terrible, but come on - your own bathroom for a bit extra? Yes Please.

ReputationRep:
    I shared a bathroom in first year - didn't have any problems with it at all really.

Neg rep for sharing a bathroom? Good one.

ReputationRep:
    I share and have had very few problems, and those that occur have only been minor. I'd much rather have the extra few quid than an en-suite.

ReputationRep:
    I was pleasantly surprised by how easy bathroom sharing is. That said, there's the huge caveat that it depends on what the sharing is like. If the showers are like the ones where I interviewed in Oxford (Like swimming pool showers basically) I'd run a mile. Ours are like actual shower tray cubicle things like you might have at home, inside a little room.

ReputationRep:
    I've had an en-suite 3 out of the 4 years i've been at uni and whilst many people haven't had problems with sharing bathrooms i've heard a few horror stories so i'd rather pay a little extra and have my own bathroom.

In our flat at the moment 4 of us have en-suite and 4 share 2 bathrooms, the problems for those who have shared are not to do with the availability of the showers more to do with the cleanliness of them.

ReputationRep:
    I have had both in different years, and I greatly prefer en suite. The penalty of having to clean it up myself rather than the maintenance staff cleaning is more than worth the lack of mess other people leave (and the convenience of being able to walk from the shower to the wardrobe in a towel).

ReputationRep:
    I had a shared bathroom in first year, and I think that was the right decision. I never found anything nasty in it, and the cleaner used to clean it two / three times a week. The extra £30pw extra it would have been just wasn't worth it at all.

You'll have a shared bathroom in second & third years anyway, when you move into a shared house, so you may as well get used to it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel.h)
    I shared a bathroom in first year - didn't have any problems with it at all really.

Neg rep for sharing a bathroom? Good one.
    I didn't neg you btw

ReputationRep:
    An Ensuite bathroom was worth an extra £30 per week, and my dad really encouraged me to go for it, but I am so glad I went for a shared bathroom and kept that extra £30! I share 2 toilets and 1 shower with another 4 girls. I shower twice a day, and there has never been a problem! Everything is kept clean, I nearly always can get a shower when I want one, and I just in general can not see how it is possible that so many people can justify needing their own bathroom!

ReputationRep:
    OP, it honestly depends on the type of people you end up living with - sometimes you could be sharing with nice clean people, other times you could be sharing with really disgusting people... students on a whole are pretty nasty so unless you definitely need the extra money, en-suite would be a less risk choice.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see a point in en-suite. I was sharing bathroom with my whole family. Why should I spend extra on sharing as a student? Also it's 20-30 extra pounds. Almost free week of food. But it's every person's choice.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.