The Student Room Group

A Level Art - Tsunami project - need ideas

I desperately need some ideas for my Tsunami project.
The actual topic I chose for my exam was Catastrophic Events.
I have my development piece exam next Tuesday and I have no idea what I'm doing. A lot of what I've already done is experiment with textures to portray parts of the tsunami. I've also used images from the internet and my own interpretation on them. I really don't want to paint, I'm more interested in inks/photography/textures. I'd love to do something textural but I'm really stuck on how/what I would do.

PLEASE HELP. I've been predicted an A but in my coursework mock exam I got an E. So yeah, I really need some guidance and my teachers scare me - nothing I do is right.. I really need to show them I can do something.

Thank you so much.
Reply 1
Original post by disenchanted17
I desperately need some ideas for my Tsunami project.
The actual topic I chose for my exam was Catastrophic Events.
I have my development piece exam next Tuesday and I have no idea what I'm doing. A lot of what I've already done is experiment with textures to portray parts of the tsunami. I've also used images from the internet and my own interpretation on them. I really don't want to paint, I'm more interested in inks/photography/textures. I'd love to do something textural but I'm really stuck on how/what I would do.

PLEASE HELP. I've been predicted an A but in my coursework mock exam I got an E. So yeah, I really need some guidance and my teachers scare me - nothing I do is right.. I really need to show them I can do something.

Thank you so much.

Are you mainly looking at the wave aspect (in terms of the water) of the tsunami?
If you are, I personally don't think that gives much room for exploration/experimentation, since you're probably end up repeating water experimentations over and over again, which would most likely reduce your marks for development.

What are your ideas so far? What interested you about the tsunami?
What have you done in your sketchbook so far?

Maybe you could look at wreckages, debris, devastation as a result of a Tsunami? Which also allow for quite a lot of experimentation with textures; since you can looked at washed up objects - like tree bark etc. Or you could look at things submerged (and drowning?) under water, and the changes they undergo; which could also represent the psychological impact on the victims mind. Or maybe hope despite devastation; like having a butterfly in the middle of an image of the wreckage caused by the tsunami?

I always paint for my art exams, so I'm not really sure about inks/photography/textures, but the first thing that came to mind was a collage? Maybe you could collage images of washed up objects and stick them together to form the tsunami with a person standing at the bottom, looking up at the incoming wave; which I guess could represent the 'wave' of the aftermath, where the tsunami victims are now struck by the impact the tsunami had on their surroundings and their lives.

I thought of all that quite quickly, so the ideas are not great, so I'm sure you can come up with something a lot better. xD

Also, you should do some quick thumbnail drawings; those are helpful to come up with idea~
Reply 2
Thank you for the ideas! It's really given me some stuff to think about. I am currently look at the aftermath of the Tsunami but I've been struggling to think of ways to show it but what you've suggested will hopefully help :smile:

I've always been interested in how much destruction nature can cause and I've studied Tsunami's before in Secondary School.

At the moment my sketchbook has only a few pages complete, I've done a 2 collages - contrasting man-made and natural causes of catastropic events - this was to start my project - from this I went on to do a page showing the tsunami with brusho dyes and I then looked at images from the internet of the aftermath and tried taking my own photos to recreate it. I then looked at Liliana Porter and how a small person is trying to clean a big mess. I intend to try and recreate her work, but after this I have no idea what I'm going to do!

Quick Reply

Latest