Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yup, i'm new here, but I've heard a lot from my friend (username: Jimmy) about everyone here. Sorry if this has been discussed a million times, but everyones different, with different grades.

I'm wanting to read Physics at Oxford
    I'm currently in my AS year, doing Physics, Chemistry, Maths, and History (and General Studies, but lets forget about that for a moment ).
    I am particularly worried about my quite poor GCSE results, it seems like i'm hanging onto the requirements by a thread, however I believe I can acheive the required A-Levels for Oxford.
    At GCSE I got 2 A* in double science (pissed off I wasn't entered into seperate sciences); 3 As, and 4 Bs and a C in german .

I would like to know if Oxford would consider the double-award in science to be one A*.
    Or more importantly, just tell me if I have no chance.

Btw, the only indication of how I'm doing so far is that in the Jan exams I got straight A s in Physics, Chemistry and General Studies (negliable, I know).

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people tend to get straight A's at A level who apply to Oxford so you really do need your GCSE's to stand out, I thought I did well getting in with only (!) 5 A*S (cambridge). But I'm sure you'd get an interview and Oxbridge are looking for potential rather than what you've already achieved so it's worth a try is it not, for the sake of £10 and one of your uni options... the interviews are also a good experience so go for it All the best and try to get lots of extra-curricular crap going to show other skills blah blah, I'm sure you know the story!

ReputationRep:
    My GCSEs were similar to yours (in fact not as good). As far as i am concerned it is all about getting yourself to the interview and performing well. In addition to making sure the work you send is top notch. However, i got in for an Arty subject (History) and i would assume there is slightly more room to manoeuvre in terms of past grades. Also, i was post-alevel and therefore they had no reason to question my ability to get the grades. There is no reason not to apply, go for it. Goodluck!

ReputationRep:
    Yes maybe the answer is to (hopefully) get your As at A level and then apply.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry too much bout your GCSEs. Your chemistry and general studies grades won't really matter. You'll need to be getting As in Physics AND Maths. They might ask you, at interview, why you haven't done Further Maths. Does your school offer it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mast3486)
    Don't worry too much bout your GCSEs. Your chemistry and general studies grades won't really matter. You'll need to be getting As in Physics AND Maths. They might ask you, at interview, why you haven't done Further Maths. Does your school offer it?
    Ya they do, but usually its only for those who did their maths AS a year early. It isn't a requirement, only a preferance, but I know that it would've helped.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to dissapoint you, but your results are not that impressive for oxbridge students (altho national above average) and they DO look at both gcse and A-level grades, no matter what ppl say (especially for v.v.v.v.academic and mathsy subjects like physics) as it's how they distinguish between the excellent and the truely amazing applicants. Also, they probably won't be that interested as you haven't got an A* in maths gcse - it doesnt really indicate that you'll get an A in maths A2 (the leap from AS to A2 is quite big).

I applied to do Physics this year @ New College, Oxford, and most people there did further maths (i didnt as sch didnt really offer it properly) and i felt a bit disadvantaged (luckily i still go an offer, but not at my first choice college). they asked me my as module results in maths in my 2nd lot of interviews (at St Hilda's) and I pointed out that i was resiting one of them. However, i think they were encourage by the fact that i did have an A* in maths gcse.

You HAVE to get A's in all your physics and maths modules this year and be prepared to defend your gcse grades and why you didnt do further maths. You will also have a maths test at interview that is nothing like you've seen before - lots of questions (bout 12/13) and all about 3/4marks but v.v.v.vlong and hard and your not expected to finish them all in the allotted time (either 1h or 1h30) and it's to show your potential. You will also need a v.v.v.v.impressive personal statement (read loadssssssss round the subject nd get sum experience - cnt recommend newhere as didnt do ne myself! oops!) and try and apply to a less popular college so that there is a better chance of you being accepted.

Please don't think I'm putting you down - your gcse's are good but I personally don't think Oxford calibre. Lots of my mates who were predicted straight A's at A-level didnt have good enough GCSE grades and were rejected both from cams and oxf. The other girl that got in ahd starte A*'s and I had 6A*'s and 3A's (A's in eng lang, eng lit and latin, so not vitally important for my subject). I just know how much they had set their hearts on getting in only to be completely destroyed by their rejection (one girl who did have starte A*'s didnt get in and it was the first time she's ever failed nethin - she's normally top of the class).

Don't allow yourself to become so focused on getting in that you're destoryed if you get rejected. By all means apply, but be careful! Other good unis = warwick, imperial, bath etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    as it's how they distinguish between the excellent and the truely amazing applicants.
    I feel this is a rather dubious remark. Not everyone who gets an offer from oxbriddge is amazing. In fact, only one of the people I know who has an offer is way off the scale compared to others I know. All you need to be is committed to your subject, have a good knowledge and be extremely willing to learn. This is not to say that theey don't look at grades. They do, and you must be prepared to show your ability most importantly in maths anddo really well on the step papers.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bennus)
    Ya they do, but usually its only for those who did their maths AS a year early. It isn't a requirement, only a preferance, but I know that it would've helped.
    You're not missin out on anythin that great, it'll be covered at uni anyway, but make sure that you have a good reason for not doin Further, as they asked everyone that wasn't doin it when i went for interview. My offer was 3As: A in Maths, Physics and an A in anything else (im doin Further and Chem), so it wouldn'y affect your offer. The main thing is getting lucky at the interview stage, then it doesn't matter how you do it, just get good A2s.

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who's doing physics at Oxford, having not done further maths. Obviously it didn't stop him getting in, but he did say that it means the course is more difficult than it would be otherwise.

I'd say, go for it, you have nothing to lose, and if you don't get an offer then it obviously just wasn't meant to be. They wont offer you a place if they don't think you can cope with the course.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should just go for it. Some guy at my school has just been offered a place at oxford to read geog (slightly different to physics, i know) who didnt even get 1 A* at GCSE...and all of his mates with their A*s across the board got rejected...so just go for it, the worst they can say is no!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    I feel this is a rather dubious remark. Not everyone who gets an offer from oxbriddge is amazing. In fact, only one of the people I know who has an offer is way off the scale compared to others I know. All you need to be is committed to your subject, have a good knowledge and be extremely willing to learn. This is not to say that theey don't look at grades. They do, and you must be prepared to show your ability most importantly in maths anddo really well on the step papers.

MB
    By amazing I am not necessarily referring to being really really intelligent, but they don't want just anyone with a little bit of potential. They want the people out there that really do have that "star quality" who could go on and win the next Noble Prizes and discover something amazing.

It also depends of course whether you're form a private school (where such gcse grades would be dissappointing) or from an inner-city rough-neck comprehensive where most people get all D's!!! However, I personally would discourage the person from believing firmly they will get in - by all means apply, but don't set your heart too high.

BTW, you don't ahve to do STEP papers in physics (thank god!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bennus)
    Yup, i'm new here, but I've heard a lot from my friend (username: Jimmy) about everyone here. Sorry if this has been discussed a million times, but everyones different, with different grades.

I'm wanting to read Physics at Oxford
    I'm currently in my AS year, doing Physics, Chemistry, Maths, and History (and General Studies, but lets forget about that for a moment ).
    I am particularly worried about my quite poor GCSE results, it seems like i'm hanging onto the requirements by a thread, however I believe I can acheive the required A-Levels for Oxford.
    At GCSE I got 2 A* in double science (pissed off I wasn't entered into seperate sciences); 3 As, and 4 Bs and a C in german .

I would like to know if Oxford would consider the double-award in science to be one A*.
    Or more importantly, just tell me if I have no chance.

Btw, the only indication of how I'm doing so far is that in the Jan exams I got straight A s in Physics, Chemistry and General Studies (negliable, I know).

Cheers.
    You might not get in, most applicants don't, but it's perfectly possible that you could. But if you don't apply, you definitely won't get in. So you're not really risking that much by applying.

ReputationRep:
    For Physics, you ABSOLUTELY need Further Mathematics for A-level.
    With those GCSES, you won't stand a chance without Further Maths.

CRack open the P5 and get on to it!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    OK I can't say I know anything about physics because I don't. But I applied for Oxford last year and was rejected so I can give general advice. Don't expect to be able to give any explanation for grades you are unhappy with. You may get an opportunity but I wasn't asked about my C in French AS even though I wanted to explain. It's definitely worth a try applying for Oxford, you've got nothing to lose. The interviews are not scary at all , you will have fun and meet lots of really nice people. I say go for it! The standard is high but you have to believe in yourself. Even if you don't get in you can always apply for any post-graduate degrees there like I'm planning to after I'm done at Exeter. Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya - longtime lurker here. Just wanted to say that further maths isn't necessary for physics at oxford - i know someone studying at jesus without it. Its not even really necessary for maths - i know someone else doing maths at oxford with only AS further maths! All you have to is convince them you've got sufficient mathematical ability to cope with the physics course.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.