Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    this may sound dumb but i have no idea how to use a Spectrophotometer. I want to use beers law to calculate the concentration of a substance. I need to calculate the molar extinction co-efficient, but i need a concentration before i can find that. It says to use a substance of "known concentration", get the molar extinction co-efficient and then use the "unknown concentration" sample to find the concentration. If that makes sense.

What is the known concentration though? a standard solution? can it be any standard solution?

it talks about graphs too, what graphs should i draw and what do i do with them?

please help me!

say that my "unknown" is a mixture of ammonia and copper, could i use a sample of ammonia as the standard solution?

OR IS IT WATER ?? WHAT IS THE BLANK SOLUTION ?

:confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I did this with distilled water and stock dye and when I calibrated it i used the distilled water. In this I'm going to assume that you calibrate it with a sample of ammonia that has 0% copper in it. That way you get the initial starting point for your graph

For your graph , you could do an absorbance v concentration grah

your x axis is going to be the concentration of copper (this is the variable you control - so you'll be changing the conc of copper) and your y axis will be the absorbace at whatever nm (e.g. 520nm).

So you plot all your values according to what your readings are on the spec at different concs, and then draw a line of best fit. Now you have that unknown solution - run that through your spec and see what absorbance reading you get. you can apply this to the info your graph and line of best fit gives you.

Hope that helps

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.