Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi I was wondering what GCSE's I would need to pursue Architecture or Law as a course. My GCSE selection includes:
    • German
    • French
    • Geography
    • History
    • Economics
    • Art
    • Design
    • Music
    For me to continue the subject in A level, I need a GCSE (except for Economics possibly), in which I do 4 A levels. With this in consideration, what would be the best 4 GCSE choices from the list above to have a later career in Architecture, or Law? (Please answer for both). Thanks!

    For architecture you definitely need Art or Design, otherwise you would have to submit some sort of portfolio when applying to college.

    For law you literally only need English Lit or Lang, but doing History will definitely help you do it.

    You're not thinking of doing law for A level are you? If you want to study law for university, A level Law is really regarded as being a good subject to study, they don't care whether you study it or not.

    I guess a language can help you in other ways, because employers like to see that you can speak another language.
    • Thread Starter

    Ok thank you! I think that I've narrowed it down to German, Design, Economics, and I am deciding between Geography and History, so that I can decide whether to do Architecture OR Law further on into my studies. Thanks!(If anyone else has any other comments or advice, please post it)
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year

University open days

  1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools


Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.


Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.


Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.


Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.