Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

To the Dentist or Doctor? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a really annoying habit that has developed through stress in the past couple of months, clenching my teeth at night. It's driving me crazy! :banghead: I know I'm doing it because my Jaws are achy in the morning and now I have an annoying click in my Jaw most days.

So, do I go to the Dentist, or the Doctor?

what can they do?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ⱴalentina)
    I have a really annoying habit that has developed through stress in the past couple of months, clenching my teeth at night. It's driving me crazy! :banghead: I know I'm doing it because my Jaws are achy in the morning and now I have an annoying click in my Jaw most days.

So, do I go to the Dentist, or the Doctor?

what can they do?
    Do you really need to go to either? Surely it'll stop with less stress?

Posted from the TSR Android app

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzini)
    Do you really need to go to either? Surely it'll stop with less stress?

Posted from the TSR Android app

Unfortunately, less stress isn't an option.

ReputationRep:
    I've had the same problem. The solution is to go to the dentist so you won't damage your teeth - they'll probably fit you for a mouth guard. As for the stress side ... http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/teeth-g...roduction.aspx according to this you could have behavioral therapy or muscle relaxation exercises. Google 'bruxism' and see what you find.

ReputationRep:
    You may need the dentist. they will make for you "night Guards" these are like retainers. Not very sexy. You pop them in and grind away all night but no damage and no waking with a stress headache because they act like a shock absorber

ReputationRep:
    Dentist for aforementioned night guard.

You might want to also see an oral surgeon if you've damaged your jaw (the clicking).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.