Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do Italien next year and i'm currently in Year 8. Is it easy to get A* and should i start learning stuff early ???
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I am doing Italian GCSE (I've finished the controlled assessments and am now revising for the exams!) and I started at the end of Year 8. I am working towards getting an A/A* at Italian, and I'm finding it quite easy- but I am doing French and have done Spanish in the past, and Italian is quite similar to them. However, it's not a particularly challenging language even if you don't have past experience with similar languages.

With regards to learning things now, you could have a look at some things (for example, numbers, colours and family lists- simple vocab lists) but it's a good idea to leave grammatical explanations to your teacher next year.

Good luck, and you will have fun- Italian is a lovely language! If you have any other questions now or when you start your GCSE, feel free to ask!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyJayne14)
    I am doing Italian GCSE (I've finished the controlled assessments and am now revising for the exams!) and I started at the end of Year 8. I am working towards getting an A/A* at Italian, and I'm finding it quite easy- but I am doing French and have done Spanish in the past, and Italian is quite similar to them. However, it's not a particularly challenging language even if you don't have past experience with similar languages.

With regards to learning things now, you could have a look at some things (for example, numbers, colours and family lists- simple vocab lists) but it's a good idea to leave grammatical explanations to your teacher next year.

Good luck, and you will have fun- Italian is a lovely language! If you have any other questions now or when you start your GCSE, feel free to ask!!

What website will you recommend to learn the basics???thnxxxx

ReputationRep:
    I started Italian GCSE at the beginning of Year 9 and finished at the end of Year 10, if you know some French/Spanish I wouldn't say it's particularly difficult to do well in and as said above Italian isn't a particularly difficult language to learn anyway. I got an A*, the hardest part of Italian I think was the listening paper so it would be good if over the course of your GCSE you could visit Italy to hear some native language spoken which would really help your listening skills.

Try languagesonline (.org.uk) to try and look at some basic Italian activities, they have a lot on there.

Good luck, I've been studying languages for years now and Italian is a particularly beautiful one
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DominicSibley)
    What website will you recommend to learn the basics???thnxxxx
    As mentioned, Languages Online is a good website. BBC languages can also be useful (they have lots of different activities)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neutralmilks)
    I started Italian GCSE at the beginning of Year 9 and finished at the end of Year 10, if you know some French/Spanish I wouldn't say it's particularly difficult to do well in and as said above Italian isn't a particularly difficult language to learn anyway. I got an A*, the hardest part of Italian I think was the listening paper so it would be good if over the course of your GCSE you could visit Italy to hear some native language spoken which would really help your listening skills.

Try languagesonline (.org.uk) to try and look at some basic Italian activities, they have a lot on there.

Good luck, I've been studying languages for years now and Italian is a particularly beautiful one

is it easy to get A* how did you get it? tips??? thnx!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    For me, it wasn't hugely difficult to get an A*, but I did the old-style GCSE which was based around courseworks rather than controlled assessments. What I would suggest (applicable to any new-style language GCSE) is learning bullet points for speaking and writing controlled assessments rather than trying to learn them off by heart (which is incredibly difficult, especially for the speaking). However, learning them off by heart is not impossible if you want to put yourself through that - but you will sound less fluent and spontaneous and will often struggle more with the unexpected question.

Learn lots of vocabulary as well. You want to be able to get to the point where you can formulate simple sentences without really having to think about it: at GCSE you don't have to go too complex, so don't try and push yourself too hard, just learn what you know really well. After you've started your GCSE you can always drop me a direct message for any help you need or questions you need answered (bearing in mind, though, that I completed my GCSE three years ago now). Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Are you studying Italian? I am an Italian native speaker.. and I need to practice my English. If want we can help each other. I use FB/Skype or just PM.. conctact me if you are interested in.

ReputationRep:
    cool sure dude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DominicSibley)
    I'm going to do Italien next year and i'm currently in Year 8. Is it easy to get A* and should i start learning stuff early ???
    Dont worry , Italian is really easy, everyone in my school started in year 7 , but I came late and started in year 9 , by the end of year 10 , I had an A* in Italian , with a 98% average .

Off edexcel you can get a vocabulary list of basic italian words which frequently come up .
    Also off bbc you can learn so many colloqual phrases
    Languages online (Australlian version) is really good
    and it may sound strange , but reading fairytales , teen magazines and new paper articles really help.
    When in comes to the oral exam , when your teacher asks you a question , once you have answered , ask her one back , they examiners LOVE that.
    Try Busuu- you can get native speakers to mark your work . Also try watching familiar programmes in Italian ( I watched the simpsons in Italian).
    If all else fails ,not many schools at all do italian , so the grade boundries are quite low!

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.