Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Shop Assistant refused to sell me tampons Watch

ReputationRep:
    I went into the shop to buy tampons today and the girl at the till (only looked a year or so older than me) looked at me like I was some sort of prev and said 'I can't actually sell you these, store policy sorry.'

I was like wtf.

It was embarrassing enough to go to the tampon section and pick them up let alone go to the till and be refused sale in front of a queue of people. So as I already tipped the embarrassment scale I decided to argue this ridiculous motive. It was much better to walk out of the store with my tail between my legs.

So I said 'is there any particular reason I can't buy these'

She said, 'well these are a female cosmetic product and we only sell such items to females'

'They could be for a sick friend for all you know'

'And this 'sick friend' has no female friends that could have helped her then?'

It went back and fourth like this for a minute or so until I finally gave up. It was none of her business what I needed them for so wasn't going to tell the cheeky *****. I just went across the road and got them there, should have went back and waved those tampons in her face.

I would have taken it much further at the time, however that once happened when my Irish bank note was refused in an English store (turns out they actually are allowed to refuse them) so I didn't want to make a scene and end up being wrong again.

Are they allowed to refuse to sell me what ever they want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)

Yes they are. They can refuse sale to anyone for any reason as far as I'm aware.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The ****? No, it's not like tampons are a weapon when placed in the hands of anyone without ovaries :eyeball:

EDIT: Actually, I just went and checked. It appears they can, but not on the grounds of any discriminatory measures. And since you were refused sale for being male, that's sexism.

That would be like refusing the sale of condoms to women.

ReputationRep:
    I've just been informed that they can't do this.

But just out of curiosity, why did you need a tampon? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    They can do. However, in this particular case, it just seems stupid. I would have complained to the manager about such a moronic policy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they dont have to sell you anything, although that doesnt change the fact its a ridiculous store policy. At my parents shop I be surprised when men have the balls to pick them up, although they usually do break the awkwardness by cracking a joke about it.

ReputationRep:
    That's a little stupid but they are allowed to refuse to sell any product they wish to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. But... you could have caused a fuss and asked for the manager.

Her response, "we only sell those to females", sounds like blatant sexism to me.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha this is funny! Well, that bad it's funny!

What if a father was buying some for his daughter? :sigh: You should complain.

ReputationRep:
    Seems a bit wrong to me. Write a letter of complaint?

ReputationRep:

It was embarrassing enough to go to the tampon section and pick them up let alone go to the till and be refused sale in front of a queue of people.
    Ah, I feel for you. My brother had to do something similarly embarrassing not long ago; he had to pick up thrush cream for my mum. The guy behind the counter looked at him for a full minute, but thankfully still served him. If I were you, I'd totally have waved the tampons in her face. Or at least walked past slowly so she knew you'd gotten them anyway.

ReputationRep:
    What? O___o.

I don't understand what is wrong with a guy buying tampons... Yes it might be odd but it's harmless?

ReputationRep:
    Which shop was it? I can't contemplate why someone would refuse to sell anyone tampons :confused:

If this kind of thing happened to me I would email their customer services to complain they have a sexist store policy, mention which store it happened in and the date and the member of staff's name who refused if you saw/noticed it.

ReputationRep:
    Stupid tbf, you could have been a boyfriend getting them for your girlfriend and at the end of the day it would still be business to the shop

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snailsareslimy)
    What? O___o.

I don't understand what is wrong with a guy buying tampons... Yes it might be odd but it's harmless?

(Original post by Bulbasaur)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that they are allowed to refuse service if they see fit... although I can't see why they would.

I always take tampons camping with me, they weigh next to nothing and take up minimal room yet there are countless uses for them across various survival situations. Google it if you don't believe me.

edit:
    I believe there is a tampon in the survival kits of quite a few of the world's armed forces. British included.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you can't exactly use a tampon in a decent prank....

ReputationRep:
    I went into the shop to buy tampons today and the girl at the till (only looked a year or so older than me) looked at me like I was some sort of prev and said 'I can't actually sell you these, store policy sorry.'

I was like wtf.

It was embarrassing enough to go to the tampon section and pick them up let alone go to the till and be refused sale in front of a queue of people. So as I already tipped the embarrassment scale I decided to argue this ridiculous motive. It was much better to walk out of the store with my tail between my legs.

So I said 'is there any particular reason I can't buy these'

She said, 'well these are a female cosmetic product and we only sell such items to females'

'They could be for a sick friend for all you know'

'And this 'sick friend' has no female friends that could have helped her then?'

It went back and fourth like this for a minute or so until I finally gave up. It was none of her business what I needed them for so wasn't going to tell the cheeky *****. I just went across the road and got them there, should have went back and waved those tampons in her face.

I would have taken it much further at the time, however that once happened when my Irish bank note was refused in an English store (turns out they actually are allowed to refuse them) so I didn't want to make a scene and end up being wrong again.

A shop shouldn't have any business or say in what the customer buys.. What a load of balls. The workers are there to sell.. Not refuse service to a man who was trying to help a woman. Should have gone back in and told her your shopping elsewhere from now on.

ReputationRep:
    I always take tampons camping with me, they weigh next to nothing and take up minimal room yet there are countless uses for them across various survival situations. Google it if you don't believe me.
    That's actually what I thought when I read your post. Order them online next time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulbasaur)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I was under the impression that they are allowed to refuse service if they see fit... although I can't see why they would.

Nosebleed, obviously...

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.