Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Shop Assistant refused to sell me tampons Watch

ReputationRep:
    You should of done something random, to distract her from the tampons and in the middle of the arguement, shouted:

'SING ME A SONG YOUR THE PIANO MAN'

She would then sell you the tampons in shock.

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous. I wouldn't judge, I would assume that they were getting it for a girlfriend/sister/friend who was probably curled up in bed feeling sorry for themselves, clutching a hot water bottle for dear life. What's so sinister about selling tampons to a guy? Blimey. That is an idiotic policy although I know they're allowed to refuse sale if they want to. Still, I'd complain or something, that's sexism. What ethical grounds could you possibly have for refusing? I mean, I can sort of see why some people refuse to sell contraceptive pills because of their beliefs, although as an aspiring pharmacist I personally think anyone wanting to go into that career needs to throw their judgements in the bin, it's none of my business why a patient needs it or why they have HIV or why they're returning needles, it's my job to treat them. Which is why I think not selling tampons is bloody stupid. What's it to her why you need them or not?

ReputationRep:
    It's like refusing to sell you pet food because you're not a pet.
    GeezWHAT?! Crazy lady. I'd write a letter of complaint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    I just went across the road and got them there, should have went back and waved those tampons in her face.
    :laugh:

I'd be impressed if you did!

ReputationRep:
    I'd have said to her something along the lines of "What the hell do you expect me to do with them? Shove them up my penis to help alleviate my catastrophic erectile dysfunction?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    Actually, according to citizens advice:

It is illegal for anyone providing goods, facilities or services in the UK to discriminate because you are a man or woman.

Examples of goods, facilities and services include, shops, financial services such as banking, leisure facilities such as pubs and clubs, entertainment and transport.

Someone providing goods, facilities or services must not:

refuse to provide you with goods, facilities or services because you are a man or a woman
    provide any of these things on less favourable terms or conditions because you are a man or a woman.
    It is illegal to discriminate regardless of how the goods and services are provided or whether you have to pay for them or not.

For example, it’s illegal for someone to discriminate against you when you’re buying something in a shop or over the internet, when you’re making a telephone enquiry or when someone gives you written information.
    Wow, Are you a lawyer/law student?
    Or just so happened to know the law?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Wow, Are you a lawyer/law student?
    Or just so happened to know the law?
    Nah, I just copied and pasted it off of their website

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King_Julien)
    I thought all female accessories were found in there...damn.
    Accessories. :rofl2:

We don't just feel like wearing them once a month instead of our favourite set of bangles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Accessories. :rofl2:

We don't just feel like wearing them once a month instead of our favourite set of bangles.
    Hahaha. There should be a general website for alternative uses of tampons. Not only as survival kit but also trendy accessories, perfect for any occasion. Maybe we can use them as hair rollers..

ReputationRep:
    I've sent my dad/boyfriend out for tampons loads of times, they've never had any problems . Surely men must buy them all the time? Or am i the only one lazy enough to do this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomer)
    Hahaha. There should be a general website for alternative uses of tampons. Not only as survival kit but also trendy accessories, perfect for any occasion. Maybe we can use them as hair rollers..
    A pair of dangly earrings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harley)
    A pair of dangly earrings?
    Why yes, how delightful!
    We could market tampons in whole new ways, become millionaires! All thanks to that one a**hole cashier lady.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    Yeah, you can't exactly use a tampon in a decent prank....
    drop it in water or some other liqwuid and launch it at someome or a window... most fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomer)
    Curls and dries!

ReputationRep:
    I would have taken it much further at the time, however that once happened when my Irish bank note was refused in an English store (turns out they actually are allowed to refuse them) so I didn't want to make a scene and end up being wrong again.
    Crazy, I thought they were legal tender as well. Apparently they aren't even real money in Northern Ireland itself! :eek:

"Scottish and Northern Irish banknotes are unusual, firstly because they are issued by retail banks, not central banks, and secondly, as they are not legal tender anywhere in the UK – not even in Scotland or Northern Ireland – they are in fact promissory notes."

ReputationRep:
    I went into the shop to buy tampons today and the girl at the till (only looked a year or so older than me) looked at me like I was some sort of prev and said 'I can't actually sell you these, store policy sorry.'

I was like wtf.

It was embarrassing enough to go to the tampon section and pick them up let alone go to the till and be refused sale in front of a queue of people. So as I already tipped the embarrassment scale I decided to argue this ridiculous motive. It was much better to walk out of the store with my tail between my legs.

So I said 'is there any particular reason I can't buy these'

She said, 'well these are a female cosmetic product and we only sell such items to females'

'They could be for a sick friend for all you know'

'And this 'sick friend' has no female friends that could have helped her then?'

It went back and fourth like this for a minute or so until I finally gave up. It was none of her business what I needed them for so wasn't going to tell the cheeky *****. I just went across the road and got them there, should have went back and waved those tampons in her face.

I would have taken it much further at the time, however that once happened when my Irish bank note was refused in an English store (turns out they actually are allowed to refuse them) so I didn't want to make a scene and end up being wrong again.

Are they allowed to refuse to sell me what ever they want?
    Yes technically the staff in a shop can refuse to sell any item to any customer for any reason BUT every store will have their own policies which the staff will be expected to follow.

Personally I would go back tomorrow, ask to speak to the manager, and tell them what happened. Chances are that the manager will agree that the staff member was in the wrong, and something may be done about her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Crazy, I thought they were legal tender as well. Apparently they aren't even real money in Northern Ireland itself! :eek:

"Scottish and Northern Irish banknotes are unusual, firstly because they are issued by retail banks, not central banks, and secondly, as they are not legal tender anywhere in the UK – not even in Scotland or Northern Ireland – they are in fact promissory notes."
    It is real money, just not legal tender. The thing is the term legal tender is often misconceived, apparently English stores can refuse English notes if they please...something like that. I just know that legal tender isn't as clear cut as 'this is sterling, you therefore cannot refuse it'.

Really don't see why they don't just bring in a UK currency instead of these stupid England/Scotland/Ireland notes, or throw in a serve ball and make the only legal note in the UK the Welsh note. Better yet, join the euro, then I don't need to change currency if I want to drive an hour to the west...

ReputationRep:
    Just stop eating those crisps that cause anal leakage and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    If that is the actual store policy, then that is ridiculous. If I'd been in the queue and heard that, I would have been gobsmacked. Hopefully it was just that member of staff being an idiot.

I think my dad has gone out and bought them a few times. I didn't think anyone cared.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, now I'm intrigued to go and try to buy some tampons to see if they'll sell me :rolleyes: Honestly, such policy is so stupid. Oh by the way, why you didn't use self-checkout? I don't think that a computer system would tell you to put tampons back in the shelves

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.