Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

I will never have another job Watch

ReputationRep:
    Since Graduation:

1st Job: Lasted 4 months. Loved it. Then the company entered liquidation.

2nd Job: Lasted 5 months. Job demanded too much of my time and was too intense for me. We decided (amicably) not to continue my probationary period.

3rd Job: Lasted 2.5 months. Was fine. But only a fixed-term project so no possibility of a permanent job at the end.

For the first time in my life, I have ran out of money and I am slowly sinking into some serious credit card debt just to feed myself. Only 6 months ago, I was earning £18k and had nearly £3k in savings. Now I have nothing

Today I was informed that I wasn't successful for a recent interview I attended. Out of all the 25+ jobs I have applied for, it was the only one I really wanted, and seemed like a sure thing because I am perfect for the role.

I am ready to give up. Even if I do come across a vacancy that looks right for me, this has proved that I probably won't get it anyway, so why bother? I don't even have any reason to get out of bed in the mornings anymore.

No-one seems to care about my positive references, experience, or portfolio of work. What the **** does it take?

A life on benefits is all that the UK has to offer its Graduates. What a shame, after investing so much public money in Higher Education.

ReputationRep:
    Dont give up. Dont be a coward. My girlfriend just dumped me. Now i have problems. Theres plenty of jobs out there youve just got to look hard enough. Youll find something youre happy in mate. Crack on!

ReputationRep:
    Just out o curiosity what jobs have you been going for?

ReputationRep:
    Get yourself a vouluntary job to keep you busy when looking for work. I have had the most success at interviews when I can talk about some kind of employment, paid or otherwise. My latest interview drew on voluntary work and photocopying stuff for my MP

ReputationRep:
    To quote rocky, "It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

Don't give up, think of when you were earning 18k and life was good and instead of thinking negatively saying 'oh damn I wish it was still like that' think 'I want to be back in that situation. I'm going to make it happen and this is how.' It sounds stupid but a positive attitude truly can go a long way. Consider retraining, take the wage hit and go for what you consider a lesser job, voluntary work etc etc. Anything you can do you should do. Living on benefits is no life, you don't want that, trust me. Tenfold the way you feel now and that's the way you'll feel if you allow yourself to be resigned to living on benefits.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be to worried about it, the nature of most jobs are they are so target driven....At no point can you relax and you always feel your under pressure throughout the month and your job is never safe..... Personally, I was looking at doing something along the lines of the NHS or teaching......you can't seem to be unemployed there.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't see the point anymore.

I did so much preparation for this interview. I showed them a portfolio of work, and I have even worked in another department of this organisation before, so I had a reference from within the organisation. The job was exactly what I do best.

It just shows that it is all down to luck and the whim of whatever Little Hitler happens to be doing the interview.

ReputationRep:
    There are people that haven't been as lucky as you. Leaving university with no application replies let alone interviews!!! If you give up you aren't helping yourself really, it can't get any worse than this. You need to pick yourself up and get yourself a job! I'm a strong believer that everything happens for a reason, this perfect job may not have been all that. Around the corner there is something better. So what are you gonna do sit around and sulk or try again???

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain man I really do, when I graduated a got a good job and was on around 17,000 a year, the company went into liquidation lost my job it sucked balls. Now have two jobs one part time which is a good job just a bugger it's part time and the other. I've just had two interviews and it always come down to experience I find, which is annoying because it seems very few companies are willing to give you the job without experience so how do you get the experience. It's hard I know some people have it a lot harder, but there really is hope out there. Just got to keep applying and trying (I'm trying to convince myself here as well). Just think of all the good things in your life and the bigger picture.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 7, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.