The Student Room Group

The 'N Word'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by tjf8
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/how-should-we-use-the-n-word-8521510.html

Given how often it's used in popular culture (Django and N.W.A are cited as examples), can the 'n word' ever be reclaimed from its connotations of racial hatred? Should it be used in films, music and literature, or avoided? Will its use erode the original meaning, or promote it?

Agree with what Tab said - there's no reason to stop using it, it's all about the context that it's been used with.

Despite the fact that I'm black, I would never, ever, EVER use that word around people, unless I knew them extremely well.

I'd never walk up to a random black person and call them the N word.

Likewise, if a random person walked up to me and called me that, whether seriously or joking, whether white, black or brown, then I would definitely be offended.
Original post by cl_steele
Why are you still harping on about terms for racial study when no one else has mentioned them? Either way its perculiar especially for islanders as they dont look especially mongoloid anyway.

Sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh. Shall i start listing you plenty of examples of French and spanish words that are used in English without a need for translation? Because its spanish doesnt mean theyre the only ones with sole rights to its usage genius.

No, a form of usage has stemmed from that. And it only has offensive meaning if the user decided to use it in such a way, you should know few words actually bare any significance unless you actually look at how it was used to start with. Im going to use, once again, the fact its on the census form as a prime example that some people really do not mind the term and who are you to question that humansupremicist?

Why do you constantly relate the black issue back to one committing a crime? You can describe them how you like, just because its not common in England doesnt mean it isnt in other parts of the world, take europe and oceania for instance where the term negro is fairly well used.

In english speaking countries, the word Negro is outdated and has colonial connotations. I would rather not be described using a word that brings back to light an era that was supposed to be bygone. It is much easier to make a clean break from a terrible history by using contemporary language that is neutral or positive. It's not hard....
Reply 42
Original post by CJG21
I have to disagree. The word Paki Is often used as a derogatary term, whereas Brit and Aussia aren't, so we aren't going to be offended, but they might.

So "You dumb Brit", "You bloody Aussies" and "You stupid Yank" aren't derogatory? Any word can be. It is just they choose to make a meal of it; we don't.
Reply 43
For all you people saying we have to 'do away' with the word, what exactly are you proposing?

If you are mindful and considerate towards black people, you don't need a word made illegal. You just wouldn't say it. We should guard free speech.
Original post by Barksy
For all you people saying we have to 'do away' with the word, what exactly are you proposing?

If you are mindful and considerate towards black people, you don't need a word made illegal. You just wouldn't say it. We should guard free speech.

I don't think anyone said anything about making a word illegal. Simply that it is often offensive and that people, if they have any consideration or empathy, should choose other words to describe them.
Reply 45
Original post by HumanSupremacist
Why would you want to use the word anyway. It sounds like something you would call an animal or a little pet.

Regardless of the historical negativities surrounding it, by its very nature the word sounds derogatory.

I don't think there is any use of the word - and some black people using it as some sort of term of solidarity or endearment is simply silly. It sounds derogatory and silly.

The term is used a lot in music, particularly hip hop, and often in films, particularly Quentin Tarantino films.
Original post by tjf8
The term is used a lot in music, particularly hip hop, and often in films, particularly Quentin Tarantino films.

And this makes it acceptable.

Essentially, what those dumb rappers are saying is "All my Nig**** [read: little black slaves] put your hands in the air".

It doesn't make it acceptable. The rappers aren't bright and are very stupid. The word cannot be reclaimed (it can't even been reclaimed anyway as it was born from the slave trade) - it has been far too imprinted with negativity.
Original post by Barksy

I'm not saying it should be banned. Rather, I'm expressing my disapproval and distaste of the dirty word - for that is what it is.

Don't tell me about free speech - in the UK and any "liberal" democracy, we aren't allowed to criticize Allah or Muhammad!
Funny I had this discussion with a group of friends just a week ago. What fustrates me is that if it's so offensive then black people shouldn't use it themselves. I think if you use it anyone can. And if you don't then you have a right to be upset.
Original post by Mullah.S
no but you getting away with it if revolutionary guards are not hearing it. but in west there is no revolutionary guard for using certain words, for this example.

Yes, luckily we don't yet have a Revolutionary Guard battalion patrolling for use of the N Word.
Original post by Working2hard
Funny I had this discussion with a group of friends just a week ago. What fustrates me is that if it's so offensive then black people shouldn't use it themselves. I think if you use it anyone can. And if you don't then you have a right to be upset.Personally it's a word I've never used nor have ever felt tHe need to just my opinion

I also dislike how careful people are web they describe someone as black. It's just like saying she was tanned or she was white it's just a description and I feel as a society we need to rid ourselves of this stigma.
I'm not saying it should be banned. Rather, I'm expressing my disapproval and distaste of the dirty word - for that is what it is.

Don't tell me about free speech - in the UK and any "liberal" democracy, we aren't allowed to criticize Allah or Muhammad!

Nor is calling someone a ***** allowed either racist remarks are all the same. I hate the fact everyone brings any sort of mistreatment and links it to Islam. Arghh.
Reply 52
And this makes it acceptable.

Essentially, what those dumb rappers are saying is "All my Nig**** [read: little black slaves] put your hands in the air".

It doesn't make it acceptable. The rappers aren't bright and are very stupid. The word cannot be reclaimed (it can't even been reclaimed anyway as it was born from the slave trade) - it has been far too imprinted with negativity.

Sorry, I took your point "I don't think there is any use of the word" to mean that you don't think its use is prevalent; you may not have meant this.

Still; you say that it cannot be reclaimed, and that people who use it are 'dumb', but if rappers and actors are frequently using it in a non-derogatory way, and given that their audiences are huge, would that not impact other people and erode its underlying meaning? Queer and other slurs that have claimed to have been repurposed could still be used in an insulting context, but they aren't considered necessarily derogatory anymore because the predominant usage lacks those connotations.
Original post by tjf8

Yeah, by black people! I mean, Samuel L Jackson, he's not your regular white middle class lawyer type.
Original post by Tabzqt
are you allowed to insult Islam in your country? :s-smilie:

I'm sorry but **** you. She has a Muslim username and she doesn't type properly in English, but why does that make you think that she necessarily supports the values of "her country", which coincidentally you have no idea where it is.

How can you ask her a question that sarcastically implies she's a hypocrite based on an assumption of both where she comes from and then on top of it an assumption that she agrees with those ideals.
Reply 55
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yeah, by black people! I mean, Samuel L Jackson, he's not your regular white middle class lawyer type.

No he most certainly isn't. I was responding (apparently mistakenly) to HumanSupremacist when he said "I don't think there is any use of the word." Although I'd love to see him have a go at a role like that.
Reply 56
Original post by Dragonfly07
why does that make you think that she necessarily supports the values of "her country",

Jesus christ talk about overreacting.
she's a Muslim and has spoken strongly in favour of Islam in the past, and almost all Muslims strongly dislike blasphemy. Also it wasn't mocking, it was a question.
Original post by tjf8
No he most certainly isn't. I was responding (apparently mistakenly) to HumanSupremacist when he said "I don't think there is any use of the word." Although I'd love to see him have a go at a role like that.

He might have to lose some of the attitude.

Reply 58
nigahiga...........
Reply 59
Original post by Fullofsurprises
He might have to lose some of the attitude.

Can't you imagine this being a courtroom scene with him as the prosecution lawyer:

[video="youtube;UPHuE5pDlEs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UPHuE5pDlEs[/video]

Might need to borrow some of the righteousness from Coach Carter though.

Quick Reply