Turn on thread page Beta

My manifesto for a better UK watch

• View Poll Results: Would you vote for these polices?
    Yes
    17.27%
    Maybe-( if I was voting tactically)
    10.00%
    No
    72.73%

ReputationRep:
    EU :

I think UK should hold onto the pound with all its might and NEVER use the Euro

I think the UK should leave the EU and trade more with the dynamic economies of the commonwealth

I think the money the UK spends directly funding the EU (and the billions lost through excess regulation from the EU) could be much better spent investing in UK infrastructure (especially to revive the areas of the UK outside of the SE and London).

We never got to vote the EU president or the various treaties which have systematically made the EU more federal and more powerful.

The EU wants to fine London for breaching pollution limits-this is utter madness and an abomination to UK sovereignty!

Crime:
    Introduce a prison tax( why should they not pay tax when everyone else does directly/indirectly and they cost on average £40k a year!)
    Using revenue from prison tax and cuts in funding for prison luxuries (i.e tvs,serving them porridge and bread and water rather than steak and goose fat potatoes)and savings from not funding the EU to lower tax for the lowest paid
    Require prisoners to post a sum of money like they do to get bail when they apply for parole -so if they re offend they no only lose their freedom,they lose there money

General:
    Reforming the BBC so the license fee (aka TV tax is cut or frozen for the foreseeable)
    Removing some exemptions from the Freedom of Information Act to make the state more accountable
    I agree in personal freedom and do NOT support ID cards or excessive monitoring of people- I think Britain has more than enough CCTV (we have the most per head in the world)
    Raise tax on alcohol -as this fuels so much crime (think drink-drivers,binge drinkers and think of how horrible night buses are because of all the drunks!)

Tax:
    Make the benefit system more fair so NO one is better off on the dole than working ( poverty levels have been virtually unchanged since 1990s despite public spending soaring)
    Reduce income tax band for the poorest (10p tax rate reintroduction)]
    Reduce fuel duty
    Cut down on Tax avoidance
    Education:
    Free up to 18. We should keep the loans so people can contribute back. At the moment things are pretty good -even for English students as the repayments are very small relative to your income over 21k

NHS
    I think NHS is good and should have similar efficiency/productivity as private healthcare providers- privatisation of parts should be avoided same with PPP schemes that cost TfL £410 million!

Also immigration should be completely ruled from London not from Brussels in any way

Economy:

Utilise gas in Northern England to revive that area
    Lower NI contributions by employers to encourage employment
    Reduce the deficit- eventually removing the structural deficit

My Golden rule would be :
    Money spent by government ≤ Money raised via taxes
    Live within our means!*

* Only borrow to fund special spending not 'everyday expenditure'

ReputationRep:
    The lack of mention immigration gets in this manifesto is surprising and heartening.

ReputationRep:
    Loving the prison tax.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Loving the prison tax.
    I know! The only people who escape income tax and VAT totally are the criminals-the irony!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    EU :

Introduce a prison tax( why should they not pay tax when everyone else does directly/indirectly and they cost on average £40k a year!)

How would that work ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reciproversexclu)
    How would that work ?
    Give them a bill when they're released or seize assets (especially for fraudsters and those benefiting from ill-gotten gains)

ReputationRep:
    I think rather than taxing alcohol, i think people found drunk and disorderly should be fined. (edit: whoops, did a quick google search, you can already be fined. apparently)
    Why should sensible drinkers have to suffer for others who are more irresponsible?
    It seems that the only proposed solutions for this so called binge drinking culture are ones that affect everybody and not those who are actually to blame.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Make a law banning any moves towards adopting the euro
    That would be pointless; Parliament can't bind its future self.

(Original post by a729)
    Do you realise prisoners earn 30 pence an hour? Don't get me wrong, I support the idea of making the prison system financially self-sufficient, I can't see how we can possible raise any significant sum of money from this.

(Original post by a729)
    Require prisoners to post a sum of money like they do to get bail when they apply for parole -so if they re offend they no only lose their freedom,they lose there money
    Any amount of money that will deter reoffending will surely be out of the grasp of most, considering that they earn about £10 a week?

(Original post by a729)
    Raise tax on alcohol -as this fuels so much crime (think drink-drivers,binge drinkers and think of how horrible night buses are because of all the drunks!)
    Will also kill off the pub industry while you're at it. Probably better to sort out binge culture than punish those like me who are responsible with alcohol.

(Original post by a729)
    Make the benefit system more fair so NO one is better off on the dole than working ( poverty levels have been virtually unchanged since 1990s despite public spending soaring)
    The thing is that poverty is relative.

(Original post by a729)
    Defence
    We should no be in Iraq and should avoid war at all costs
    You mean Afghanistan? We pulled out of Iraq years ago.

(Original post by a729)
    -though we should have a decent military capable of defending our small island nation.
    We're not that small, 22nd largest population in the world.

(Original post by a729)
    Give them a bill when they're released or seize assets (especially for fraudsters and those benefiting from ill-gotten gains)
    We already have measures in place for that- the Proceeds of Crime Act.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reciproversexclu)
    How would that work ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    EU :
    Holding an EU referendum immediately.
    Make a law banning any moves towards adopting the euro and protect British sovereignty against the increasingly federal EU

Crime:
    Using revenue from prison tax and cuts in funding for prison luxuries (i.e tvs,serving them porridge and bread and water rather than steak and goose fat potatoes)and savings from not funding the EU

General:
    Reforming the BBC so the license fee (aka TV tax is cut or frozen for the foreseeable)
    Removing some exemptions from the Freedom of Information Act to make the state more accountable
    I agree in personal freedom and do NOT support ID cards or excessive monitoring of people- I think Britain has more than enough CCTV (we have the most per head in the world)

Tax:
    Reduce fuel duty

Education:
    Free up to 18. We should keep the loans so people can contribute back. At the moment things are pretty good -even for English students as the repayments are very small relative to your income over 21k

NHS
    I think NHS is good and should have similar efficiency/productivity as private healthcare providers- privatisation of parts should be avoided same with PPP schemes that cost TfL £410 million!

Defence
    We should no be in Iraq and should avoid war at all costs-though we should have a decent military capable of defending our small island nation.

Economy:

Revive British manufacturing
    Pay down the national debt

Live within our means!
    The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    EU :
    Make a law banning any moves towards adopting the euro and protect British sovereignty against the increasingly federal EU

Crime:
    Using revenue from prison tax and cuts in funding for prison luxuries (i.e tvs,serving them porridge and bread and water rather than steak and goose fat potatoes)and savings from not funding the EU

General:

Tax:
    Reduce fuel duty

Education:

NHS

Defence
    We should no be in Iraq and should avoid war at all costs-though we should have a decent military capable of defending our small island nation.

Economy:

Live within our means!
    One does not simply revive British manufacturing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Welfare is not the problem, it is low wages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benevansben)
    One does not simply revive British manufacturing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We have to try- Germany is a good example in terms of manufacturing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    EU :

Crime:

General:

Tax:
    Reduce fuel duty

Education:

NHS

Defence

Economy:

Live within our means!
    On poverty: the reason poverty has remained relatively constant is that we are dealing with the 'relative poverty' measure, rather than an absolute poverty measure.

Relative poverty is the portion of households earning less than 60% of the median income. Absolute poverty is not being able to afford necessities.

Therefore we work on a measure where if every household earned £1 a week and couldn't afford food, we'd have 0% poverty, while a household earning enough to afford sky tv and alcohol still counts as living in poverty in the UK.

In general, the relative poverty measure is favoured by the political left, who hold equality to be the highest virtue, while the right prefer an absolute poverty measure, as they are less interested in how equal people are and more interested in whether they can afford food. See Thatcher's last PMQs appearance for her views on 'the gap between rich and poor'.

ReputationRep:
    This is just a re-write of the headline you'd find on a tabloid.

I agree with many, but it's wishful thinking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I know! The only people who escape income tax and VAT totally are the criminals-the irony!
    Bit like the criminal banksters and guess...

ReputationRep:
    So basically just the Conservative manifesto...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    The problem is you're focusing on the things in life that don't really matter. When I was a kid I had hopes and dreams. We all did. But over time, the daily grind gets in the way and you miss the things that really matter, even though they are right in front of you, staring you in the face. I think the next time you should ask yourself "Am I on the right track here?". I don't mean to be rude but people like you I really pity. So maybe you could use the few brain cells you have and take advantage of the knowledge I have given you now. Good luck.
    It''s people with attitudes like you that allow the UK to be in relative decline. Where's your few brain cells that have some form of hope and some sense of wanting to better yourself/the country you live in

Anyhow I think you might be suffering from been on the track too long -you sound rather jaded for a student... I pity the people like you who try to pour cold water on the can-do people who get thing going and of course you guys the naysayers eventually reap the benefits

ReputationRep:
    In other words, make Britain self-centered country. I like the idea about prison tax though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valentas)
    In other words, make Britain self-centered country. I like the idea about prison tax though.
    Tbh we would struggle to be as self-centred as the US lol!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.