Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

My manifesto for a better UK Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you vote for these polices?
    Yes
    17.27%
    Maybe-( if I was voting tactically)
    10.00%
    No
    72.73%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    all the negs you got for that were well deserved loool!
    I know hahahaha it's a copypasta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    Building a train is not like assembling furniture from Ikea. (although some would claim otherwise)

You need people with skills and training and expertise, it takes years to develop. Doesn't matter if there's 1 or 10 million people waiting for a job, if they don't know how to build a train then they're not going to be useful.
    We could have apprentices
    The UK has a lot of skilled people

It wouldn't happen overnight but over 10 years we could revive Northern England and the Wales

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcus2001)
    I know hahahaha it's a copypasta
    loool well no complaints from me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam543)
    And here we have, the common daily mail reader in its natural habitat; thinking it knows everything, but spouting ****.
    And here we have, the lefty in his natural habitat of the TSR, thinking it know everything but sprouting rubbish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    That would be pointless; Parliament can't bind its future self.

Do you realise prisoners earn 30 pence an hour? Don't get me wrong, I support the idea of making the prison system financially self-sufficient, I can't see how we can possible raise any significant sum of money from this.

Any amount of money that will deter reoffending will surely be out of the grasp of most, considering that they earn about £10 a week?

Will also kill off the pub industry while you're at it. Probably better to sort out binge culture than punish those like me who are responsible with alcohol.

The thing is that poverty is relative.

You mean Afghanistan? We pulled out of Iraq years ago.

We're not that small, 22nd largest population in the world.

We already have measures in place for that- the Proceeds of Crime Act.
    how do prisoners earn 30p an hour?

Not all prisoners are poor

Some prisoners are very wealthy and not the proceeds of crime act doesn't apply when someone attacks someone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bssjonny)
    I think rather than taxing alcohol, i think people found drunk and disorderly should be fined. (edit: whoops, did a quick google search, you can already be fined. apparently)
    Why should sensible drinkers have to suffer for others who are more irresponsible?
    It seems that the only proposed solutions for this so called binge drinking culture are ones that affect everybody and not those who are actually to blame.
    So what would be your solution?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    how do prisoners earn 30p an hour?
    The work prisoners do in prisons, while serving their sentence, it pays around 30p an hour.

(Original post by a729)
    Not all prisoners are poor

Some prisoners are very wealthy and not the proceeds of crime act doesn't apply when someone attacks someone
    Well that's not taxing prisoners income then, that's plain asset seizing, a different matter.

ReputationRep:
    The work prisoners do in prisons, while serving their sentence, it pays around 30p an hour.

Well that's not taxing prisoners income then, that's plain asset seizing, a different matter.
    Not necessarily the are prisoners like the guy who lost UBS millions - he certainly isn't poor by any stretch of the imagination

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Not necessarily the are prisoners like the guy who lost UBS millions - he certainly isn't poor by any stretch of the imagination
    How many prisoners would you say are like this guy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    How many prisoners would you say are like this guy?
    Not that many

In a similar way to how not many people are eligible to pay inheritance tax but that doesn't stop it from being in place

ReputationRep:
    Nice manifesto you have there, I quite like the prison tax and EU policies.

I think you should run for Prime Minister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I don't really get what you seem to want to happen. Any income he earned previously as a banker was obviously already taxed at the time.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really get what you seem to want to happen. Any income he earned previously as a banker was obviously already taxed at the time.
    he should pay towards the cost of his keep in prison

Average cost per prisoner is 40k a year- cheaper to pay them all benefits!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trianglehate)
    Nice manifesto you have there, I quite like the prison tax and EU policies.

I think you should run for Prime Minister.
    Thanks mate!

Loool Mayor of London would be a role closer to my heart lool

ReputationRep:
    Can't really disagree with most of that if I'm honest, though I'm unsure about your policies for crime. What are your thoughts on rehabilitation? (I apologise if it has already been discussed).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    he should pay towards the cost of his keep in prison

Average cost per prisoner is 40k a year- cheaper to pay them all benefits!
    And through what mechanism do you propose this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jac93)
    Can't really disagree with most of that if I'm honest, though I'm unsure about your policies for crime. What are your thoughts on rehabilitation? (I apologise if it has already been discussed).
    thanks!

Rehabilitation combined with basic prison conditions

Criminals should be given a chance to become productive members of society but they have to be punished - especially if their crime had a victim (i.e assault)

We are too soft on crime- there are people who commit disgusting crimes and get off with derisory sentences or say just a suspended sentence

ReputationRep:
    And through what mechanism do you propose this?
    expanding the proceeds of crime act and forcing criminals to compensate their victims

Burglars and Robbers should reimburse their victims the cost of damage/loss to their victims- never mind emotional damage

ReputationRep:
    I'm voting for this guy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    expanding the proceeds of crime act and forcing criminals to compensate their victims

Burglars and Robbers should reimburse their victims the cost of damage/loss to their victims- never mind emotional damage
    How's that going to help the taxpayer cover prison costs?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.