Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

My manifesto for a better UK Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you vote for these polices?
    Yes
    17.27%
    Maybe-( if I was voting tactically)
    10.00%
    No
    72.73%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    How's that going to help the taxpayer cover prison costs?
    Every little helps - everyone has to pay tax directly and/or indirectly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trianglehate)
    Nice manifesto you have there, I quite like the prison tax and EU policies.

I think you should run for Prime Minister.
    And I didn't even mention Immigration,Energy or Aviation lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I said eventually....

Anyhow the UK apparantly has a government that claims to want to put the finance in order
    And Blair claimed there were WMDs in Iraq. Politicians are masters of excuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    And I didn't even mention Immigration,Energy or Aviation lol!
    Maybe they're things you can add haha, then you'd definitely get my vote

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    expanding the proceeds of crime act and forcing criminals to compensate their victims

Burglars and Robbers should reimburse their victims the cost of damage/loss to their victims- never mind emotional damage
    We already have mechanisms for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Give them a bill when they're released or seize assets (especially for fraudsters and those benefiting from ill-gotten gains)
    Many people go straight back into prison because they have little to no prospects upon release. Do you think giving them an extra payment will help that?

I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    We already have mechanisms for this.
    Sadly it isn't used that much many people are left out of pocket due to actions of criminals and not reimbursed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Sadly it isn't used that much many people are left out of pocket due to actions of criminals and not reimbursed
    The court must consider making such an order. If it does not, it should state the reasons for not doing so.

These reasons are likely to be the fact that either: A) the victim did not want compensation or B) the offender was unable to pay immediately or within reasonable time.

At the moment, the courts make an assessment on a case by case basis taking into consideration all of the evidence. This is much better than what you are suggesting - which seems to be a one size fits all approach which would not deliver any improvements upon the existing framework.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Many people go straight back into prison because they have little to no prospects upon release. Do you think giving them an extra payment will help that?

I doubt it.
    Hmm but it's their fault for committing crime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Hmm but it's their fault for committing crime
    That's irrelevant. You're saying we should tax them because they cost us money in prison, which is true of course. Prisons are massively expensive. However, I believe a tax like that would only increase our already poor re-offending rates, thus costing us even more money because they are back in prison.

If the tax contributes to them going straight back into prison, they won't be paying it anyway, and at the same time they are costing us money again. Lose-lose, isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    That's irrelevant. You're saying we should tax them because they cost us money in prison, which is true of course. Prisons are massively expensive. However, I believe a tax like that would only increase our already poor re-offending rates, thus costing us even more money because they are back in prison.

If the tax contributes to them going straight back into prison, they won't be paying it anyway, and at the same time they are costing us money again. Lose-lose, isn't it?
    But it would help act as a deterrent- as people who commit crime for money wouldn't if there was a financial risk to been caught

ReputationRep:
    Ordinary individuals who write manifestos and post them online seem to go on and do crazy things a la Brevick and Dorner.

So if you're planning on doing anything crazy.... don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polka Dot)
    Ordinary individuals who write manifestos and post them online seem to go on and do crazy things a la Brevick and Dorner.

So if your planning on doing anything crazy.... don't.
    No and No

Don't pour coud water if you nothing better to say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    No and No

Don't pour could water if you nothing better to say
    Cold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polka Dot)
    Cold
    OK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    But it would help act as a deterrent- as people who commit crime for money wouldn't if there was a financial risk to been caught
    Even the death penalty didn't stop many criminals, which is pretty much the ultimate price. I believe research shows that criminals give little thought to the consequences of being caught anyway.

I think this tax would be far worse for the rest of us than the current system.

ReputationRep:
    Even the death penalty didn't stop many criminals, which is pretty much the ultimate price. I believe research shows that criminals give little thought to the consequences of being caught anyway.

I think this tax would be far worse for the rest of us than the current system.
    That's no excuse to reduce the consequences of crime lol!

I doubt it- making the prison system less expensive without cutting prison staff is a good idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    That's no excuse to reduce the consequences of crime lol!
    I agree, but I don't think your tax suggestion would reduce the consequences.

I doubt it- making the prison system less expensive without cutting prison staff is a good idea
    Again though, it's my opinion that prison tax would only put more people back into prison, the one place they won't be paying it. I think it would make it more expensive, not less expensive. Your view is your view though man.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, but I don't think your tax suggestion would reduce the consequences.

Again though, it's my opinion that prison tax would only put more people back into prison, the one place they won't be paying it. I think it would make it more expensive, not less expensive. Your view is your view though man.
    Ok then, we'll agree to disagree

ReputationRep:

It would deter most criminals trying to get money

Anyhow criminals deserve to be punsihed

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.