Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

My manifesto for a better UK Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you vote for these polices?
    Yes
    17.27%
    Maybe-( if I was voting tactically)
    10.00%
    No
    72.73%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trianglehate)
    Maybe they're things you can add haha, then you'd definitely get my vote
    In good time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    You're maybe option is pointless as no one would tactically vote for an independent, especially such a naive one.
    I'm not naive, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseMunchies)
    Bit like the criminal banksters and guess...
    Looool somewhat yeah but we at least we don't bailout bankrupt criminals lool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    It would deter most criminals trying to get money

Anyhow criminals deserve to be punsihed
    Didn't realise you had quoted me again, I think you may have forgotten our last few posts. It ended with 'Agree to disagree'.

Here now anyway. It might deter criminals that are looking for money, although if they are already prepared to turn to crime I'm not convinced the threat of a tax will put them off.

Yes they deserve to be punished but I don't think this would punish them. Like I said, this tax would only put more people in prison, and where's the one place they won't be paying the tax? In prison. I think we interpret the outcome of a tax like this differently man. Many criminals have virtually no opportunities coming out of prison, giving them money to pay back doesn't help the rest of us at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Didn't realise you had quoted me again, I think you may have forgotten our last few posts. It ended with 'Agree to disagree'.

Here now anyway. It might deter criminals that are looking for money, although if they are already prepared to turn to crime I'm not convinced the threat of a tax will put them off.

Yes they deserve to be punished but I don't think this would punish them. Like I said, this tax would only put more people in prison, and where's the one place they won't be paying the tax? In prison. I think we interpret the outcome of a tax like this differently man. Many criminals have virtually no opportunities coming out of prison, giving them money to pay back doesn't help the rest of us at all.
    Hmm but I don't like the idea of paying to look after Huhne and his ex-wife for the next 8 months!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Hmm but I don't like the idea of paying to look after Huhne and his ex-wife for the next 8 months!
    Interesting point mate. Huhne and his ex-wife are probably set for life, and a prison tax after a few months inside probably wouldn't even phase them. However, a vast number of people in prison are from a background of poverty, and giving them a tax (on top of trying to get a job, possibly finding somewhere to live etc) will only send them straight back in.

In my opinion, anyway. In regard to your Huhne point, you could try and bring in a prison tax for those from wealthier backgrounds, but I doubt that would ever get passed. It would be deemed as unfair and the vast majority of those in prison are probably too poor for it to apply.

ReputationRep:
    Pull out of NI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    EU :

I think UK should hold onto the pound with all its might and NEVER use the Euro

I think the UK should leave the EU and trade more with the dynamic economies of the commonwealth

I think the money the UK spends directly funding the EU (and the billions lost through excess regulation from the EU) could be much better spent investing in UK infrastructure (especially to revive the areas of the UK outside of the SE and London).

We never got to vote the EU president or the various treaties which have systematically made the EU more federal and more powerful.

The EU wants to fine London for breaching pollution limits-this is utter madness and an abomination to UK sovereignty!

Crime:
    Introduce a prison tax( why should they not pay tax when everyone else does directly/indirectly and they cost on average £40k a year!)
    Using revenue from prison tax and cuts in funding for prison luxuries (i.e tvs,serving them porridge and bread and water rather than steak and goose fat potatoes)and savings from not funding the EU to lower tax for the lowest paid
    Require prisoners to post a sum of money like they do to get bail when they apply for parole -so if they re offend they no only lose their freedom,they lose there money

General:
    Reforming the BBC so the license fee (aka TV tax is cut or frozen for the foreseeable)
    Removing some exemptions from the Freedom of Information Act to make the state more accountable
    I agree in personal freedom and do NOT support ID cards or excessive monitoring of people- I think Britain has more than enough CCTV (we have the most per head in the world)
    Raise tax on alcohol -as this fuels so much crime (think drink-drivers,binge drinkers and think of how horrible night buses are because of all the drunks!)

Tax:
    Make the benefit system more fair so NO one is better off on the dole than working ( poverty levels have been virtually unchanged since 1990s despite public spending soaring)
    Reduce income tax band for the poorest (10p tax rate reintroduction)]
    Reduce fuel duty

Education:
    Free up to 18. We should keep the loans so people can contribute back. At the moment things are pretty good -even for English students as the repayments are very small relative to your income over 21k

NHS
    I think NHS is good and should have similar efficiency/productivity as private healthcare providers- privatisation of parts should be avoided same with PPP schemes that cost TfL £410 million!

Defence
    We should no be in Iraq and should avoid war at all costs-though we should have a decent military capable of defending our small island nation.
    Also immigration should be completely ruled from London not from Brussels in any way
    Economy:

Utilise gas in Northern England to revive that area
    Revive British manufacturing
    Lower NI contributions by employers to encourage employment
    Pay down the national debt

My Golden rule would be :
    Money spent by government ≤ Money raised via taxes
    Live within our means!
    Hahahahaha what an idiot "Money spent by government ≤ Money raised via taxes"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    Interesting point mate. Huhne and his ex-wife are probably set for life, and a prison tax after a few months inside probably wouldn't even phase them. However, a vast number of people in prison are from a background of poverty, and giving them a tax (on top of trying to get a job, possibly finding somewhere to live etc) will only send them straight back in.

In my opinion, anyway. In regard to your Huhne point, you could try and bring in a prison tax for those from wealthier backgrounds, but I doubt that would ever get passed. It would be deemed as unfair and the vast majority of those in prison are probably too poor for it to apply.
    Remember poor people pay taxes too!

No one bar criminals evades that!

But in principle and theory it would be a popular idea- at the very least we should stop spending more than twice on prisoner food than NHS food!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bourgeoisie)
    Hahahahaha what an idiot "Money spent by government ≤ Money raised via taxes"
    Your the idiot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Your the idiot!
    I think you're the one, actually.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're the one, actually.
    You posted abuse but nothing of any substance or value to the debate

So you are the idiot!
    You're probably more out of touch than Michael Foot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cmca1)
    Pull out of NI.
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    You posted abuse but nothing of any substance or value to the debate

So you are the idiot!
    You're probably more out of touch than Michael Foot!

You, on the other hand, tend to have wet dreams about Maggie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Pull out of Northern Ireland?
    hahahaha I even took a screen shot at this point.

ReputationRep:
    What would happen if prisoners didn't pay the prison tax? Would they be sent to prison?

ReputationRep:
    You, on the other hand, tend to have wet dreams about Maggie.
    No-don't be disgusting!
    With your filthy mind polluting this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonoahx)
    What would happen if prisoners didn't pay the prison tax? Would they be sent to prison?
    No-any benefits slightly reduced or driving license revoked (like if someone refused to pay child maintenance)

ReputationRep:
    hahahaha I even took a screen shot at this point.
    I was just questioning what he meant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    No-don't be disgusting!
    With your filthy mind polluting this thread
    Sorry I cannot believe I just said that I never wanted to.

At the same time, I uphold my accusation of your idiocy as one does not exclude the other.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.