Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

My manifesto for a better UK Watch

• View Poll Results: Would you vote for these polices?
    Yes
    17.27%
    Maybe-( if I was voting tactically)
    10.00%
    No
    72.73%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    I know! The only people who escape income tax and VAT totally are the criminals-the irony!
    Where would they get the money from to pay tax?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemiMarcelle)
    Where would they get the money from to pay tax?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It could be means tested

In a similar way to tuition fees- though who can pay, do

After all a lot can - think Mr Hunhe and his ex-wife for example!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    It could be means tested

In a similar way to tuition fees- though who can pay, do

After all a lot can - think Mr Hunhe and his ex-wife for example!
    I'm sorry but I didn't understand your post.

Where would prisoners get the money from to pay tax? They don't have a job.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but I didn't understand your post.

Where would prisoners get the money from to pay tax? They don't have a job.
    That's a broad generalisation

ANyhow they could get jobs in the future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    That's a broad generalisation

ANyhow they could get jobs in the future
    But at that time they are in jail, how could they pay taxes when they don't have a job?

ReputationRep:
    But at that time they are in jail, how could they pay taxes when they don't have a job?
    It could be just like student debt- you pay as soon you leave and earn above say 21k

ReputationRep:
    Btw how did you get so many red gems??
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    The prison tax. What a brilliant idea! Because most criminals are rolling in money, and making them even more destitute is totally going to stop them from re offending isn't it?

I don't think you quite understand how criminals work, Op.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    The prison tax. What a brilliant idea! Because most criminals are rolling in money, and making them even more destitute is totally going to stop them from re offending isn't it?

I don't think you quite understand how criminals work, Op.
    Not all criminals are poor

i.e Chris Huhne and his ex-wife and others are more than capable of paying for their cost of incarceration!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Not all criminals are poor

i.e Chris Huhne and his ex-wife and others are more than capable of paying for their cost of incarceration!
    Because Chris Huhne is representative of the criminal population in the UK, isn't he? Only 15% of criminals incarcerated in the US have an income above £17,000/a and almost 60% earn below £6,000/a and I assume the figure would be similar in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Because Chris Huhne is representative of the criminal population in the UK, isn't he? Only 15% of criminals incarcerated in the US have an income above £17,000/a and almost 60% earn below £6,000/a and I assume the figure would be similar in the UK.
    But they should still be penalised- why should the victims have to pay for the criminals via taxes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    But they should still be penalised- why should the victims have to pay for the criminals via taxes?
    Because we all benefit from having a system which, amongst other things, detains and rehabilitates those who have offended. Just like we benefit from all the other things we pay taxes for.

If a criminal has benefited from his or her criminal lifestyle (drug dealing for example) then there are processes to recover this money. If a court is satisfied that a convicted person can cover some of the costs of their prosecution, then such an order will be made. But to charge for imprisonment is just not worth it - there are so few people who could pay.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    A justice system based on revenge isn't a justice system, it's a crime factory. 90% of criminals go into crime for the same basic reasons: they've grown up in dysfunctional families with no good examples of how to behave, were therefore rejected from "civilised" societies and therefore joined gangs since they're the only social groups that accepted them, and have to cope with extreme poverty.

If the justice system makes life even harder for these people, the situation will only be exacerbated. It's been proven time and time again that increasing the penalties for crime has no impact on the frequency of crime, since someone who has been driven far enough to be in the frame of mind to commit serious crime is not going to care about the consequences.

The only thing that imposing an insane "Prison tax" will do is make destitute people even more destitute, even more hateful of society and thus even more likely to commit crime again.

ReputationRep:
    So the state locks people away and charges them for the privilege of being locked up? How exactly is taking away any, probably few, assets they have going to help them break out of a cycle of crime when they leave?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.