Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Should you be required to retake your test after a certain number of years? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't you think it's a bit odd that we are allowed to hold a drivers licence for as long as we want without having to retake any form of exam?

I mean, it irritates me when people (I don't want to sound ageist here, but generally old people) go 40 in a 60, stall at junctions, leave indicators on for MILES, and just general things that you would actually FAIL your test for nowadays. I also don't believe that all of them would pass the eye test.

I am really runny the risk of sounding ageist here, the population of the elderly that do any of these things when they drive irritate me. They have a free bus pass for christ's sake.

However, I know people of any age can become careless when they have been driving for many years. My mum also does a number of things that irritate me - like not holding the steering wheel properly and going into the wrong lane coming off a roundabout.

Does anyone else have any opinions on this? I don't want to offend anyone here. I just think that it is dangerous for some people to be on the roads - particularly when they are doing things that my friends failed tests over.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, absolutely. At the moment it seems like we've got to wait until they cause an accident for them to be reassessed. I'd advocate some kind of mid-life retest.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I think every 20 year or so would be a good comprimise.

Of course this would increase the demand for tests and a lot more examiners would be trained and hired but the extra test fees could pay for it. They could also have a year to pass the test again incase they fail but need the car for their fulltime job or something...

ReputationRep:
    Not TEST but a safe driving ASSESSMENT

Every 2 years during the first 6 years of driving and after age 70

Every 5 years inbetween those times

ReputationRep:
    Insurance statistics show YOUNG male drivers are the worst drivers on the road.
    Should they NOT be allowed on the road until maybe 25?
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is ageist to suggest this. Once we have decided upon a standard that all motorists must meet, then if decline in driving ability is a legitimate concern, we must re-test. The alternative is what is ageist: i.e., having one standard for young people and another for the elderly.

ReputationRep:
    The probably drive better than the youth of today since they've been doing it for years/decades...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mphysical)
    Insurance statistics show YOUNG male drivers are the worst drivers on the road.
    Should they NOT be allowed on the road until maybe 25?
    Actually some show elederly people are worse than young people. WEll, they're both high risk tbh so not fixing one problem due to there also being a different unrelated problem won't help really...

And you want to try telling people they can't drive at 17? Have fun with that, although the insurance stops a lot of young males these days from driving so it's the same end result...

(Original post by aranexus)
    The probably drive better than the youth of today since they've been doing it for years/decades...
    They don't. Drivers of a reasonable experience will drive well but those that are old(65+) do get into more accidents...And are a lot more likely to get seriously hurt/die in these accidents since they're statistically frail.

http://www.smartmotorist.com/traffic...the-wheel.html

ReputationRep:
    Not a test as such, I do think there should be an assessment of some sort. Nothing you lose your license over (unless you are considered dangerous), but you will get advisories on your driving or have to attend mandatory seminars or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maccees)
    Not a test as such, I do think there should be an assessment of some sort. Nothing you lose your license over (unless you are considered dangerous), but you will get advisories on your driving or have to attend mandatory seminars or something.
    I like the idea. Taking away their license seems a bit ruthless! Maybe a week long course on driving safely would be appropriate. Afterwards, if the examiner deems the driver to have made improvement, they no longer need to attend - or something along the lines of that.

ReputationRep:
    Yea. That's a good plan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    They don't. Drivers of a reasonable experience will drive well but those that are old(65+) do get into more accidents...And are a lot more likely to get seriously hurt/die in these accidents since they're statistically frail.

http://www.smartmotorist.com/traffic...the-wheel.html
    Wasn't really thinking quite that old :b

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree. There have been a number of times when I have almost had an accident with an old person. My grandad was like 85/86 and suffering with dementia before he had his license taken off him - don't know how he didn't kill himself or someone else to be honest! Plus whenever I read an article in the news about a car crash I check to see the age of the people involved - so many times the driver that caused the accident was an OAP. I think in general though people get complacent and develop bad habits whether they are in their 20s or their 80s - we should have to do a test say every 10-15 years in order to ensure we are still safe to be on the road!

Hope what I said about old people driving doesn't offend anyone, and obviously I loved my grandad very much, but this is what I have found from personal experience).

For a fork truck license you need to renew it every 3 years. A TV license is renewed every year. Your drivers license is renewed when you make someone who is alive become dead. Funny old world.

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of that.
    A test seems a bit harsh, but some kind of assessment (testing your eyesight etc etc). If you are fine, then its nothing to worry about. If you are considered dangerous then yes, you should loose your licence. And some kind of course should be introduced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c3rys)
    Don't you think it's a bit odd that we are allowed to hold a drivers licence for as long as we want without having to retake any form of exam?

I mean, it irritates me when people (I don't want to sound ageist here, but generally old people) go 40 in a 60, stall at junctions, leave indicators on for MILES, and just general things that you would actually FAIL your test for nowadays. I also don't believe that all of them would pass the eye test.

I am really runny the risk of sounding ageist here, the population of the elderly that do any of these things when they drive irritate me. They have a free bus pass for christ's sake.

However, I know people of any age can become careless when they have been driving for many years. My mum also does a number of things that irritate me - like not holding the steering wheel properly and going into the wrong lane coming off a roundabout.

Does anyone else have any opinions on this? I don't want to offend anyone here. I just think that it is dangerous for some people to be on the roads - particularly when they are doing things that my friends failed tests over.
    Yep totally agree.
    My grandad broke his hip about 7 months ago and he has secretly gone driving 3 times in the last two months. We spoke to the police and they can't actually do anything until he has an accident apparently, but they might call him in for a medical and then take his licence off him. I bloody hope so he is a ****ing idiot! He can't see properly, can't even use his legs properly and his driving was terrible before he broke his hip. He was always going over the white line, hitting things, nearly driving into people, speeding, driving carelessly, not driving for the conditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    For a fork truck license you need to renew it every 3 years. A TV license is renewed every year. Your drivers license is renewed when you make someone who is alive become dead. Funny old world.
    Put it like that and it sounds mental.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the responses everyone! Maybe I'm not going crazy after all . One thing that irritates me is when said people have better cars than me. Please, if you are at more risk of crashing, can we swap?!

ReputationRep:
    Disagree completely, I couldnt be bothered ever doing it again lol, I passed first time and think I reserve the right to never have to do it again, as long as I can drive safely,

Pretty sure thats why a points system exists, if I became a bad drive i'd eventually lose my liscence anyway

Not just elderly too, most people who are young commonly drive over the speed limit, either because they are in a rush or they just think its cool (i duno) lol, I stick to speed limits tho, no point losing your right to drive over 3 minutes saved lol.

real question is why arnt these people who break rules or laws? having the law enforced upon them for doing so? I think thats the real issue,

Dont penalise the many for somthing one driver does, I happen to know some elderly who never even had to take a test to get their liscence, and they are better drivers than most young people (especialy boy races ) lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeM90)
    Disagree completely, I couldnt be bothered ever doing it again lol, I passed first time and think I reserve the right to never have to do it again, as long as I can drive safely.

Pretty sure thats why a points system exists, if I became a bad drive i'd eventually lose my liscence anyway

Not just elderly too, most people who are young commonly drive over the speed limit, either because they are in a rush or they just think its cool (i duno) lol, I stick to speed limits tho, no point losing your right to drive over 3 minutes saved lol.

real question is why arnt these people who break rules or laws? having the law enforced upon them for doing so? I think thats the real issue,

Dont penalise the many for somthing one driver does, I happen to know some elderly who never even had to take a test to get their liscence, and they are better drivers than most young people (especialy boy races ) lol
    That's the point here - they AREN'T safe any more.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.