Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Costa vs Caffe Nero vs Starbucks Watch

• View Poll Results: Which coffee shop is your favourite?
    Costa
    40.43%
    Caffe Nero
    38.30%
    Starbucks
    31.91%

ReputationRep:
    Which coffee shop is your favourite?

For me:
    Costa
    1. Food: ★★★★★ (Excellent.)
    2. Beverage: ★★★★★ (Excellent, best for its hot chocolate.)
    3. Atmosphere: ☆☆☆☆☆ (Depressing. Too bright.)
    4. Service: ☆☆☆☆☆ (Baristas' are cold, lack of communication with customers.)

Caffe Nero
    1. Food: ★★★★★ (Excellent. Love the cakes.)
    2. Beverage: ★★★★★ (Excellent.)
    3. Atmosphere: ★★★★★ (Cosy and warm.)
    4. Service: ★★★☆☆ (They are alright, not as friendly as Starbucks'.)

Starbucks
    1. Food: ☆☆☆☆ (Horrible, especially the chocolate brownie.)
    2. Beverage: ★★★☆☆ (They are okay. Sometimes their drinks upset my stomach.)
    3. Atmosphere: ★★★★★ (Cosy and warm.)
    4. Service: ★★★★★ (Super friendly baristas.)
    Favourite store: Starbucks -> Caffe Nero -> Costa :Least favourite store

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pandabär)
    Not Starbucks, purely because they insist on asking me my name, then staring at me in disbelief when they realise that they can't spell it, then writing their own weird version on my mug, which barely resembles it at all.
    Naw haha that's one tough part of being a barista at Starbucks. Sometimes I just don't want to appear deaf after asking the customer their name a few times and still don't get it; so ended up writing whatever sounds closest to what I have heard.

ReputationRep:
    I would say starbucks partly because I have only ever been to starbucks and costa and starbucks was cheaper and the second reason is that there is a starbucks at my college with student discount taken off the prices automatically.

ReputationRep:
    Costa forever <3

ReputationRep:
    Prefer costa drinks, prefer nero food, starbucks I dunno I just don't really like.

ReputationRep:
    I mainly drink Hot Chocolates and Costa is the best for that, I do agree though that the atmosphere can be daunting... and sometimes I do feel a bit squished when inside... I despise Starbucks, I don't like their drinks, they coffee taste like piss to me :indiff: Cafe Nero is alright although I haven't visited enough to form a concrete judgement of the place...

ReputationRep:
    Starbucks, Love love Starbucks skinny latte. Yum yum. About the name thing, I generally use whatever name first pops into my head every time I go in there, maybe that's why I love it so much - it lets me pretend I'm a spy/small child. I will drink Costa if there's nothing else available, like at an airport or something, but I would always choose Starbucks. Just tastes better to me! Never eaten in any of them though, so can't comment on the food. It's all about Pret for the food,

Oh & I've never been in a Caffe Nero so have no idea what I think about them.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Costa :love: Their coffee's amazing Don't really like Starbucks- their tea's pretty bad, and the ones near me always look packed compared to Costa.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Op you work for starbucks? Good promotion in your first post . I've only been to 2 different starbucks but have not met even remotely friendly staff at either.

ReputationRep:
    Starbucks!

Free soy milk, nicest coffee (guess that's a matter of taste). The food is expensive, but the muffins are pretty awesome.

Best thing is that I don't feel bad about buying a coffee and then working there for hours on end because hey, it's a huge corporation, it's hardly gonna hurt their profits.

ReputationRep:
    Hot chocolate- costa
    Frappuccinos <3 - Starbucks

ReputationRep:
    None. Pret does it for me perfectly. 99p for a coffee? Sold

ReputationRep:
    Caffè Nero is second to none imo. The atmosphere is really nice and I can't fault the food and drink. I don't mind Costa but it seems a bit expensive considering that what you get is pretty bog standard, although I'll admit the hot chocolate is divine, always have it to warm me up on a long train journey if I pass through Chester station. Starbucks does absolutely nothing for me, it's always crowded and the atmosphere is awful, the drinks are nothing special either.

ReputationRep:
    In terms of coffee I really like Caffè Nero, followed by Starbucks and then Costa. It's just a shame that Nero isn't more popular then it is!

ReputationRep:
    prefer my local "Emily's Higgletee-Piggletee Tea Shop" She knows my coffee and name and its half the price.

And Yes i do feel emasculated after saying that café name.

Costa Coffee is just Angry shouty Polish women. Hate it.

Nero is a bit better,

Starbucks is ok. But i hate the hustle and bustle of these places, all they care about is getting your order by barking options which I'm ambivalent to, just get me a freaking medium Americano!

ReputationRep:
    Caffe Nero's Chai Lattes' are well made. Starbucks are awful and only make money due to their overpricing on all products and social popularity (blame instagram).

ReputationRep:
    I've only been to Starbucks once, for a cup of tea, and it was the worst tasting tea I have ever had Costa's tea is pretty nice though, and I've never been to cafe nero I should probably stop judging coffee shops based on their ability to make a cup of tea...

ReputationRep:
    As someone who has little or no milk, I can't stand Starbucks. Nero is definitely the best shop although the food is bloody expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I am addicted to Costa's caramel latte. Haven't tried any others though.

ReputationRep:
    Starbucks? No, just... No.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.