Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I originally applied to do a History degree not because I especially enjoy the subject, but because it was my best A Level and therefore felt it would be the easiest degree for me to do.

However, while I find it manageable academically, I don't enjoy it very much and can't see myself wanting to continue it past the first year.

I've always been interested in doing a Japanese degree, but didn't have the A Level results to apply straight off, so my plan was to finish the first year of the History degree and apply on the basis of the results from that.

So I applied, and have ultimately been rejected from all my five choices, so basically that didn't work out.

So now I'm basically stuck on a History course I don't want to do with no prospect of changing courses to anything I actually want to study.

Is there any point continuing with a degree you don't really want to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TobaccoSmoke)
    I originally applied to do a History degree not because I especially enjoy the subject, but because it was my best A Level and therefore felt it would be the easiest degree for me to do.

However, while I find it manageable academically, I don't enjoy it very much and can't see myself wanting to continue it past the first year.

I've always been interested in doing a Japanese degree, but didn't have the A Level results to apply straight off, so my plan was to finish the first year of the History degree and apply on the basis of the results from that.

So I applied, and have ultimately been rejected from all my five choices, so basically that didn't work out.

So now I'm basically stuck on a History course I don't want to do with no prospect of changing courses to anything I actually want to study.

Is there any point continuing with a degree you don't really want to do?
    Hi.. I do understand you.. Been in a little similar though not exact situation. I can't tell you what you should do, but can tell you what's right from my point of view.

Doing something we don't like is utter useless and waste of time. There is always a work around for something that we like to do. Think harder you will find a way.

If I was you I would quit history and Do Japanese (Will find some way).. I am not sure of what's the requirement to these courses.. As I am an Aerospace Engineering Graduate.

Now, In case you need help in finding a way, reply here in detail and will try my best to help you. I can't promise you anything but we could debate and come to a conclusion.

ReputationRep:
    1. Go and talk to your personal tutor - if you havnt done this already.

2. Find out why you got rejected from the Japanese courses.

3 Look at alternatives like studying Japanese History or Asian History - this might be more feasible than transferring to a language course.

4. Think about getting some 'Japanese experience' and continuing with the History degree after a year off - because a half completed degree is pretty useless.

http://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/en/vis...g-holiday.html

http://www.adventurerob.com/2010/10/...-holiday-visa/

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.