The Student Room Group

Getting a doctor's note..

So this is the first time I've missed an exam ever! I wasn't feeling well throughout the day but took some pain meds and thought I would go write the midterm exam anyway (which was at 6pm). However, as time went on, my condition worsened to the point where I was in a lot of pain and started throwing up. Anyway, I e-mailed by prof right away about this. However, I now need a doctor's note. The thing is, I'm feeling better now - I'm still a little drained, but most of my symptoms are gone. And I heard that the doctors only give out notes if you go see them WHILE you are sick. So what do I do now? Because if they don't, then it's totally unfair because I really was in a lot of pain at the time. If I had realized this before, I would have mustered up the strength to go get checked out but it didn't occur to me that the doctor would need proof of the illness. Anyway, the whole thing is silly though. Going to see a doctor while you are puking and writhing in pain to get a note. Surely my doctor will write me the damn note right?
Reply 1
Original post by silvermoongrey
So this is the first time I've missed an exam ever! I wasn't feeling well throughout the day but took some pain meds and thought I would go write the midterm exam anyway (which was at 6pm). However, as time went on, my condition worsened to the point where I was in a lot of pain and started throwing up. Anyway, I e-mailed by prof right away about this. However, I now need a doctor's note. The thing is, I'm feeling better now - I'm still a little drained, but most of my symptoms are gone. And I heard that the doctors only give out notes if you go see them WHILE you are sick. So what do I do now? Because if they don't, then it's totally unfair because I really was in a lot of pain at the time. If I had realized this before, I would have mustered up the strength to go get checked out but it didn't occur to me that the doctor would need proof of the illness. Anyway, the whole thing is silly though. Going to see a doctor while you are puking and writhing in pain to get a note. Surely my doctor will write me the damn note right?

Are you based in the UK or not? I as as your language (midterm, professor) sounds like you might be American, or living in the US, and I can only speak for the UK's NHS.

In my experIence there has been no problem in a person getting a medical note once they feel better. The doctor may mention that at the date you were seen you had improved, but for the dates in question (your exam date) you were unwell.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending