Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

More senior work experience within my current work... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm wanting to try and get work experience within a head office environment to go along with studying business. so I thought I would try my own work and see what happens.

Can anyone who has maybe done this before be able to tell me what's best to put in an email to my HR manager?

all help would be great cheers :-)

oh, and I'm a 21 year old hoping to get into Uni this year with 5 years work experience in the same company.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I'm in the same position as you!
    Currently working for my local government as an Admin, indtending to go to uni Sept 2014 to become a Social Worker. I'm in the right Directorate, and work supporting a Social Work team. I too am hoping to 'shadow' up, and get some experience of what they do.
    I haven't actually put the request in specifically yet; we're really too busy at the moment for me to think about having time out to do it.
    However, my plan is to first approach my direct manager (or Team Leader) and get her onboard. I imagine there will be signifcant amounts of emailing and running about on my part, between said Team Leader, her boss, Learning & Development, HR, and the recruitment agency we use. I'm prepared for all that, and to be honest I'm planning to wing it a little. But the thing I'm planning on using to sell my case to my manager is that I'm prepared to use either my annual leave, or my 'flexi leave' (accrued hours, as we dont get paid over time as such) to enable this to be possible. I'm also going to suggest that it isn't done in a block, but, for example, in once-a-fortnight sessions, or an hour or two a day for a week, to minimise the service-impact.
    Essentially, I'm going to be as flexible as possible, to make it harder for her to say no. If I can counter her objections with an awnser which doesn't create more work on her part (I'll work longer in to the evenings, or I'll do stuff at the weekend) in respect of finding cover for me or anything, then I think I'll be okay.
    Let me know how you get on? & I'll let you know if I have any success!
    Good luck! x

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.